First time in a while my ears don't ring after a show. NIN

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

juliansilvaOnAir
audio school graduate

First time in a while my ears don't ring after a show. NIN

Post by juliansilvaOnAir » Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:22 am

I went to the final NIN show at terminal 5, and to my surprise, it was not painfully loud, everything was really balanced and I enjoyed 3 hours of very good sound! Any other shows where the sound is so that you don't regret it when you go to sleep? In the sound department, I mean. Even when I go to see King Crimson, my ears ring. I saw the engineer using TONS of plugins, AND, to my surprise, cut-only EQ.

AstroDan
george martin

Post by AstroDan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:44 pm

The NIN show was a treat. I'd heard nothing from him/them in so long I was expecting a very washed up, give-me-my-paycheck type of show. It was incredible.

Reznor seems really involved in all aspects of production, and I'm sure he has a big hand in his live shows.
"I have always tried to present myself as the type of person who enjoys watching dudes fight other dudes with iron claws."

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Take it from and old guy, wear ear plugs. Find some that you are comfortable with and keep them in. I like the blue ones shooters wear. You can also get some custom made ones that dont hit the highs too much.

If your ears ring, you have done damage. Wish I knew this 25 years ago.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:10 pm

Pete Kepler is a hard working engineer. Super-talented.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

juliansilvaOnAir
audio school graduate

Post by juliansilvaOnAir » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 am

RodC wrote:Take it from and old guy, wear ear plugs. Find some that you are comfortable with and keep them in. I like the blue ones shooters wear. You can also get some custom made ones that dont hit the highs too much.

Preaching to the choir. I wear custom made musicians plugs, they are fantastic. However, it was a very welcomed experience to be able to not wear them at NIN.

denekawa
audio school

Post by denekawa » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 am

juliansilvaOnAir wrote:
RodC wrote:Take it from and old guy, wear ear plugs. Find some that you are comfortable with and keep them in. I like the blue ones shooters wear. You can also get some custom made ones that dont hit the highs too much.

Preaching to the choir. I wear custom made musicians plugs, they are fantastic. However, it was a very welcomed experience to be able to not wear them at NIN.
If you know someone who works in the auto manufacturing industry they have cool plugs at their disposal as well. They come in a little red plastic case and can fit into your ear in increments of how much sound you want to negate. Perhaps you can coerce your friend into getting you a pair of these for cheap or free as that is how they issue them and they work great under all types of sound pressure levels. The custom ones are by far the best, but expensive ( not as expensive as a hearing aid though) Once the ringing starts you have already lost something in the upper mids. Like another poster here, I wish I had known that back when.
Today's Wisdom - If you think nobody cares, try missing a couple of payments!

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:00 pm

I recently saw Porcupine Tree at Club im_a_spammer and it was the best sounding show I can remember. The sound quality was great and my ears were feeling good even after 3 hours straight, wish I could say the same for my back...
Mmm, lung butter.

firesine
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by firesine » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:02 pm

^haha! guess we don't like N o k i a around here.
Mmm, lung butter.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 am

+1

Get the custom molded plugs. They're not cheap, but you can't put a price on protecting your hearing.

I wish I wore plugs more when I was a teenager and in college.

EDIT: Oh yeah.... I really wish I could've caught NIN live at some point. I've heard nothing but great things about their live shows.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com