What are you listening to today?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:52 pm

vvv wrote:8)
Watched a DVD last night, Zappa and Vai, et al., called, The Torture Never Stops. My teenage kids are now fans! :twisted:
Would like to get more Zappa on dvd too. I've got the vh1 doc where Dweezil puts up the mixes off Overnight Sensation and Apostrophe.
Short but interesting and entertaining.
My daughter is too freaked out by the cover of "Weasels", let alone listening to his music yet.:lol:

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:04 pm

I like "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque."

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:19 am

Gregg Juke wrote:I like "Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbeque."

GJ
WEASELS RIPPED MY FLESH
The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue Notes and Comments

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:32 pm

:lol:

Gotta read this one ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:44 pm

I'll listen to his gratuitously over the top nasty gross- out story stuff once so whenever,
but I listen to his tasty avant garde and tweaked jazzy fusiony stuff much more often. :D Brilliant dude. Great interview read as well. Him and Eno.

jimmymio
audio school graduate

Post by jimmymio » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:09 pm

Elvin Bishop live at Winterland 1973

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:20 am

shedshrine wrote:Image
That Kraftwerk album is amazing, and it must be experienced on vinyl. Something about the vinyl crackling adds to the experience of hearing the Geiger counter speed up. 'Computer World' is another good one from Kraftwerk, although from a later period.

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:46 am

A bit late to the party, but I gotta say the most recent Coldplay album 'Xylo Myloto' is really good. Loving the songwriting, the dense mixes, and the distorted keyboard sounds. Reminds me of some of the late 80s early 90s shoegazing textures, but with better songs and more passionate performances. Love the songs 'Paradise' and 'Prince of China'; was surprised to hear Rihanna turn out a good performance on that, considering I pretty much despise her overall.

Also been playing King Tubby's 'The Roots of Dub,' on a Jamaican Recordings reissue CD of Tubby's first proper album. Here we find Tubby performing some of his earliest dub experiments before he had really fully defined his trademark style. What you get are very raw, hectic instrumental remixes of Bunny Lee-produced Johnny Clarke and Cornell Campbell tunes with plenty of tortured Fisher Spacexpander spring reverb action, runaway tape delays and stripped down, primitive mixing, heavy on the drums and bass. A great case study in the evolution of the remix.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:32 am

Ghost in the rain, by Alien Skin

Thomas Hornig's new record just came in the mail.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

IDQ
alignin' 24-trk

Post by IDQ » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:01 am

New Portland band called Lost Lander. Their album is my favorite so far this year. Haven't found it on vinyl yet.

Yes - Relayer
Ween - the Mollusk
Genesis - the Lamb
Love, love the newish Black Keys.

More later...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:30 am

Last night were Coltrane's Transitions - especially listening to McCoy Tyner's amazing fingers.

Springsteen, Wrecking Ball - why he hafta steal a Emmy Lou title? First impression is, I like it. In some ways ya gotta hate Springsteen for still being around, for tryna top everything before, say, Darkness (my fave), for still being so damn cool and a excellent writer and muso. Really, the noise to signal is very low, even as he's so damn prolific I getta CD and only listen to it a cuppla times before going back to the classics for my Broooce fix.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 am

EasyGo
buyin' a studio

Post by EasyGo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:20 pm

Nice score on the Kraftwerk! That Eric Johnson is pretty sweet too.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:45 pm

Great score on the Holdsworth. That record goes back a few years. I think I have a different cover?

I met him once. He wasn't so nice. Awesome music though. He plays violin, too!

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Kraftwerk: yeah, jazzed about that one. I'd like a copy of TranEuropeExpress and Man Machine and I'm set.

Eric Johnson: I saw a used copy of his "A Via Musicom" yesterday, but they wanted about $30.

Holdworth: I picked up a copy of U.K.-U.K. yesterday as well. Heard some of the first side. Sounded like, um, Asia. I'll have to give it another chance, supposed to be a "prog classic".

Here's a nice conversational Holdsworth sounding like he's from the same neck of the woods as Macca. Allan says he doesn't like guitar...!

A Holdsworth: I don't like guitar