What are you listening to today?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:23 pm

cd:
the avant weird blues of Captain Beefheart-Safe as Milk
Beach House-Teen Dream
Jimmy Cliff-compilation
Jimmy Smith and Wes Montgomery-the dynamic duo.

and now moving on to a pinch of ege bamyasi from a Can...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:35 pm

Alejandro Escovedo's latest - excellent, and Visconti's production is beautiful, especially the acoustic guitars and the vox.

Latest Smashing Pumpkins - how prog! And I don't even mind it, altho' I prefer the rockers and even the balads to the Yes-influenced stuff.

Coltrane, Transitions - this record, not one of his most famous, is fascinating to me, combining as it does the kinda trad ("Happy Birthday" quote, anyone?) with the idiosyncratic. If I hadda pick one jazzer, it would be 'Trane right after Miles.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:21 pm

Just got the new band of horses album. veery good. produced and recorded by Glyn Johns in sunset studios.
get the deluxe edition for studio videos etc.
killer

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:40 pm

Tim A wrote:produced and recorded by Glyn Johns in sunset studios.
That sounds like a winning combination right there.

I'm going to be listening to the original Godspell soundtrack today.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, CN

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:30 pm

Hey Chris,

Are you going you to be playing the show? I've done it two or three times, it's a fun gig. Sometime I can tell you the funny story about how "Godspell" almost broke my finger!

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Sep 16, 2012 4:23 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:Are you going you to be playing the show? I've done it two or three times, it's a fun gig. Sometime I can tell you the funny story about how "Godspell" almost broke my finger!
Yeah, I'm doing it in a couple weeks. I've played it I think six times now in the last 22 years or something. I love the show and can pretty much play it in my sleep, but I'm gonna go through the book and make some notes. They want to do it kind of true to the original 70s version.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:00 pm

OK, remember that country tune? I forget the name, but kind of a hoedown deal, where the chorus is shouting out various "virtues," and the drum part answers each one with a big flammy snare thing on "2?"

The director of one production I did wanted that really big, and kept instructing the music director to instruct me to accent it harder. I was mostly playing the whole show with blasticks, to keep the volume down in the theater, but I switched to sticks on that one at her insistence. So finally, during a live show, I think "You want rimshot? I'll give you rimshot!" and blam, almost blast the stick through the snare head. But I had gotten really used to holding the blasticks quite gingerly, and when I switched to sticks for the big accent, I caught my right middle finger between the stick and the snare rim. Nobody ever had to work harder to stiffle a swear and/or keep from bursting into tears during a performance of "Godspell" than I did that day...

GJ

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:50 am

Been on a major Torche kick lately. Excited to see them again next month. I've also been listening to Chelsea Wolfe's album over and over the last few days. Eagerly looking forward to her acoustic album coming out in October.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:45 pm

Picked-up a couple of nice doo-wop collections on CD. Also a 2-disc Charly funk/r&b/instrumental backbeat jazz/dance collection called "Blaxsplosion."
This stuff would be great for the sampling cats, but as-is it's an awesome soundtrack to a fantasy time-travel trip back to NYC in the 70's, and a never-did-but-shoulda-happened meeting between Sweet Sweetback, Superfly, Shaft, and Charles Bronson (as the Vigilante in Deathwish) for an all-out Kung Fu fight and barbecue.

While I was shopping for discs just like that "Blaxplosion" thing yesterday, I happened to be checking out what the store had on the sound system, and I snatched it up it was so raw and awesome: a "best of" type comp culled from two discs by an Indianapolis jazz/funk/blues band called "Funk Inc." Produced by Bob Porter and recorded by Rudy Van Gelder (original LP's came out on Prestige, but I never heard this stuff before!!!!), the performances and production are glorious in their simplicity and visceral sweetenaciousness. If you can find Funk Inc. on Prestige, grab whatever it is.

Also just finished some vinyl transfers of some Big Star singles and a Beatles rarity/out-takes/boot LP I picked-up awhile back. The Beatles stuff is interesting historically, but I wouldn't play it over and over, mostly due to sound quality (pretty awful recordings, which when scrubbed clean through pristine and judicious use of Sound Forge tools and EQ, still sounds pretty crappy). The Big Star is awesome though.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:28 am

'Trane, Giant Steps: a fave.

Joan Osborne, Breakfast in Bed: I was bored with this when it came out (2005) but re-listening now, a truly beautiful work, with Steely Dan recording quality, the only flaws are in her voice, what keeps it human.

Latest Dino, Jr., I Bet on the Sky: this one is pretty good, a little mellower, and growing on me. I always like Agnello's mixing, and love Mascis's guitar. Notable is the The Cure influence on a cuppla songs, what I also found on at least one on the latest Smashing Pumpkins' latest.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:The Big Star is awesome though.
Is this stuff that's on the box set?

No physical injuries on this run of Godspell so far.

CG

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:08 pm

I think so Chris (I don't have the box set, but I grabbed a Rhino single that had some re-mixes, and I think it's from said box).

Watch the flams, cousint.

GJ

No-Fi
ass engineer

Post by No-Fi » Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:45 pm

Listening to the new Gaslamp Killer LP, it's sick so far. Also picked up a nice box set, vinyl reissue of Lee Scratch Perry "Blackboard Jungle Dub".

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:39 pm

Hmmm, I'd love to hear that Perry stuff.

GJ

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:25 pm