The thing I've been doing since February

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

The thing I've been doing since February

Post by Rigsby » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:08 pm

Bit of back story.. I used to sing and play guitar in bands until I was 21, which was about 1997, but that just kind of ran its course, it'd been six years, a lot of songs, and I was just done with it and I felt I'd run out of things to sing about. Around the same time I went from 4-track to eight and my music got more and more instrumental, which I ended up following for the next 11 or 12 years; picking up other instruments, playing with a variety of people from different musical backgrounds, doing some sessions for other people, moving into improv, and music for dance and so on. I had a short period of writing some vocal stuff in maybe 2003, but it was sort of tongue in cheek and it wasn't really saying anything.

Somewhere along the line I started finding it hard to finish a lot of the instrumental stuff, and there was a lot of like 'what does this mean' kind of feelings when I was working on it or listening back. Late last year I started having some vocal lines pop into my head when I was writing things, but I'd become very shy about singing, so I just kind of ignored it. February this year I actually wrote a song, and it felt good, and though I felt really self-conscious about it, I wrote another quite quickly.

A few days ago I put my 15th song up on myspace and I have a little trio that's just starting to play gigs; I play guitar, sing and have a kick and hi-hat, while my friends Natalie and Katie back me up on violin and vocals respectively. It's going well, my voice is getting stronger (I was barely more than whispering on some of the early recordings) and I'm getting more confident sharing it with people. So this is the myspace for my new band, Mouth 4 Rusty, just demos so far..

http://www.myspace.com/mouth4rusty
The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

rigsbysmith.com

douglas baldwin
gettin' sounds

Post by douglas baldwin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 am

Nice, pleasant music, inviting textures, an intimate vibe, well-recorded.

What blew my mind was the YouTube video of Joyful Under Water. I watched on your MySpace page, but I couldn't get a YouTube link. Post that link, my man, and I'll send that video to everyone!
Douglas Baldwin, coyote in residence
Music and writings
Psychedelic pop and ambient soundscapes a specialty
www.thecoyote.org

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:10 pm

douglas baldwin wrote:Nice, pleasant music, inviting textures, an intimate vibe, well-recorded.

What blew my mind was the YouTube video of Joyful Under Water. I watched on your MySpace page, but I couldn't get a YouTube link. Post that link, my man, and I'll send that video to everyone!
Thanks man, that's really nice to hear. Sure, here it is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55RiBdzPqfQ

Glad you like it. She sure can hula eh?

rigsbysmith.com

mrclean
pushin' record

Great!

Post by mrclean » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:34 pm

That is a beautiful song and great video. Well done!
-- mrclean

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Re: Great!

Post by Rigsby » Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:41 pm

mrclean wrote:That is a beautiful song and great video. Well done!
Ah thanks man, thanks for subscribing too.

rigsbysmith.com

Rigsby
mixes from purgatory

Post by Rigsby » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:07 am

There's a new recording up on the page now if anyone's interested..

http://www.myspace.com/mouth4rusty

rigsbysmith.com