New AIC

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

New AIC

Post by vvv » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:18 pm

If you are/were a fan, yer gonna love it.

BTW, my daughter and son were arguing with son saying it's AIC, and daughter saying it sound like 'em but can't be acuz the singer is dead, but it sounds like 'em ...

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:41 pm

It is really scary how close the vocals are to Layne... I had to check the liner notes a few times in disbelief that they weren't using some of his old tracks or something... I actually wish they featured the new guy more, though. He's got a great thing of his own, too.

I've been really digging the tunes alot... It's unmistakable what band it is. My only beef with the record is how crushed it is. I almost feel like I can hear the compressors pumping in there constantly. I must be getting too old or something! :)

I think it's pretty cool how close the drum sound is to the one on Dirt... I've always dug (ha!) that album's production, so it was nice to hear some of those sounds again. That's something I like about Nick Raskulinecz's production when he works with an older band. He always seems to be able to revisit a vibe from the band's past and not make it seem stale. (Rush's Snakes And Arrows is another good example of this, too.)

Yep, good stuff!
insert witty comment here...

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:07 pm

And how abut that pitch-bend trick on on "Brains"?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:37 pm

vvv wrote:And how abut that pitch-bend trick on on "Brains"?
I've never used heroin, but I imagine it would be much like that riff! :worthy:

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:52 pm

Lemme jes' say, "yep."

:twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

woodhenge
pushin' record

Post by woodhenge » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 am

You're a twisted puppy... and I mean that in the best way possible!

8)

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:49 pm

i heard the new single on the radio yesterday and was blown away. i think it sounds crushingly, ridiculously, amazing in the same old heavy dark AIC way.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

keithhaman
audio school

Post by keithhaman » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:17 pm

Hi all,
New to the board. And very much a greenhorn as far as recording know-how goes (primarily a singer-songwriter).
Just wanted to comment on this record. I agree with woodhenge: it sounds very much like a modern rock record. Compressed to hell. However the guitar tones and the new guys' vocals (along with Jerry's) give it some of the edge of the old AIC records. There are some great songs along with some forgettable ones. But it's cool to see these guys back. The last song with Elton John, dedicated to Layne, is really touching.
I've seen them twice over the past couple years with their new singer and his vocal likeness to Layne is uncanny. Overall very cool.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:48 pm

I kind of didn't want to like this album, because I have such a profound respect and love for what Layne Staley brought to the table, but I have to say, that most of it, is really fucking good. It's a nice balance between "Dirt" era material, and the self-titled record. The guitars are fucking HUGE sounding, and it's pretty scary how close the harmonies sound to Layne/Catrell.

Only things I'm not digging on, are tracks 3 and 9 (not awful, but filler for sure), and that goddamn gated reverb on the snare drum. And while I don't hear any pumping that I don't like (I often like that "breathing" w/ the kick kind of sound on harder albums), it is mastered too hot. I can hear clipping on a few parts.

All-in-all though, it's an impressive return. Devoid of that "can't let go, we need to get paid" feeling that too many comeback albums reek of.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 pm

Local radio is picking up that "California" de-tune song ...

Check my brain! :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.