Tascam 238 Example...Surprisingly pretty Hi-Fi

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

konabuzz
takin' a dinner break

Tascam 238 Example...Surprisingly pretty Hi-Fi

Post by konabuzz » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:27 pm

Hey, all...

Recently acquired a Tascam 238 8 track cassette and this is my first experiment with it. I've done a lot with a 234 and really liked the results...surprising for a 4 track cassette. So, imagine my surprise when I tried the 238 and found a little....very little degradation in sound, but still quite similar results to the 234. Ha.....wow. How can they cram 8 tracks onto a cassette? I have the 238 with DBX, by the way.

Anyway....just for giggles, I set up my Sanyo Xacti HD1010 and recorded this piece as I also recently acquired this video cam and wanted to kill 2 birds at once....Put it up on Youtube as I was curious how they re-encoded 720p video. Ok, 3 birds with one stone.

So here we have a very sloppy, 1st take only dub-style thing....was more interested in the dub mixing process than the playing, so pardon me....still had great fun. Singing?......I apologize in advance....totally a 1'st take effort that should never have seen the light of day, but thought folks might be interested in how the 238 sounds. I think sound-wise it's pretty good.

Oh, by the way...the middle segment is just for the gearheads out there....ignore if you're not into gear, which would be strange for Tape-Oppers.

peace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfLqjz-uDw
Last edited by konabuzz on Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Jigsaw Jazz and the Get Fresh Flow"

http://www.youtube.com/user/simpletech?feature=mhee

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:27 pm

That was great! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:52 pm

That was fun. The video looks pretty good too.