Dylan--World Gone Wrong

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

sad iron
tinnitus

Dylan--World Gone Wrong

Post by sad iron » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Man, I haven't listened to his record for years, long before I really started recording. I'm listening now, and this is some funky stuff; Hissy, over-compressed...just funky. And I'm loving it. I've done a quick search to learn more about the recording and only found corroboration: this record and the previous were contract fulfillment records made in his garage. I remember hearing they were recorded by an assistant or relation and the directions from His-Bobness was to spend as little time/$$ as possible and get performances.

But I'd love, for educational purposes, to know what the signal chain was here. I mean, this record was made in 1993, by a guy who could have had a super-tricked out studio in his garage. And maybe he did, but these recordings are funky. Did he have funky gear or make funky choices?

Bob always makes me ask a lot of questions.

Anyone know what the signal chain was or have any guesses?
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

jrsgodfrey
re-cappin' neve

Post by jrsgodfrey » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:03 pm

Check out what's written about the first Wilbury's record, which was also recorded at Bob's home studio. That might give you some insight. If I remember correctly, it was a a shambles when Lynne/Harrison and company arrived, but they got it working.

honkyjonk
dead but not forgotten

Post by honkyjonk » Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:24 pm

That is a killer album. So is Good As I Been To You, but that one sounds a bit more like a miked acoustic guitar amp than World Gone Wrong which might have some of that going on, but I think generally sounds like a straight miked and compressed Gibson with fairly new strings on it. This is just what I imagine when I listen to it. I don't know anything about the recording.

I love the songs on both of those records. Just classic classic classic gothic Americana. Dark subject material. Like Carter Family songs.
Stilgar, we've got wormsign the likes of which God has never seen!

wrenhunter
pushin' record

Post by wrenhunter » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:57 pm

"Blood in my Eyes" is one of my favorite Dylan songs. Surprisingly heartbreaking for a song about a bad deal with a prostitute.
All the boys with their homemade microphones have very interesting sounds. -- Dan Behar