New Field Music music

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

New Field Music music

Post by dfieldmusic » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:53 pm

I'm so glad there's a specific board here which can accommodate slightly-embarrassed self-promotion. There's a new Field Music album on the way very soon and there are a couple of tracks out and about for general perusal. The album's pretty long and fairly all-over-the-place so I wouldn't say this is entirely representative but hey, you might find it interesting - production and arrangement-wise this is one of the oddest on the record. Which makes it one of my favourites, naturally.

http://stereogum.com/archives/mp3/new_f ... 97051.html

BenjaminWells
gettin' sounds

Post by BenjaminWells » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 pm

My 7 year old son says: "that song is pretty cool." I agree.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:28 am

You have some fans in Philadelphia who are really excited to hear this new record. Hopefully I/we can make it up to NYC in December to see your show. Great song. Care to share any information about the recording process?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

Thanks Jeff! Really hope we can make it to Philly some time next year - still feel awful about canceling at short notice the last time we were due to play.

Production-wise, this one was definitely an oddity. We made two floor tom loops (probably with a beta58 close and a nady rsm-2 ribbon above) for left and right, then Peter (my brother - FM is just him and me in the studio these days) improvised two snare and kick parts for 3 mins or so (one fairly simple, one which gets more odd over the 3 mins) - that would have been Rode K2 on kick, 57 on snare and oktavamod 319 overhead - the two parts needed a bit of fixing (it took all day to figure out how to do the parts, so the actual takes were crammed into the last ten minutes of the session) and again, panned left and right. Yamaha CP70 piano along with our upright, a bit of acoustic guitar (probably the 319 again), lead vocal probably SM7 and BVs were both of us singing into both sides of a shinybox 46. Bass mic'd with the K2 from a couple of feet and then doubled with guitar. Oh, and then a couple of string trio parts (doubled with synth in some sections) - rode nt1 on cello, akg c1000 on viola and the shinybox on violin, with the 319 as a distance mic. And voila! All recorded into a macbook running logic, mixed using just the inbuilt plugs plus the stillwell 1973eq (maybe the rocket too?) and then, ahem, 'mastered' using Ozone 3

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:25 pm

Hey, thanks for the information David. How do you like the OktavaMod 319? I have a pair of MK-012s that Michael modified that I use all of the time and love. Haven't used any of the other modified mics that he's known for, though.

The Stillwell plug-ins have definitely crept into everything that I do these days, especially the 1973 and The Rocket. And I am a huge fan of Ozone 3. It gets the job done.

I really love the sound of "Tones of Town", "Sea from Shore", and "The Week That Was". Really looking forward to the new record. My friend Jay and I are big fans of you guys. Hopefully we'll be able to make the NYC gig next month.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:35 pm

i can't get the file to download! ack help! I have not heard any Field Music yet but Sea From the Shore is an amazing album.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:03 pm

Just worked fine for me using FireFox.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:38 am

another anxious philadelphian here... i shared a bill with the week that was at the mercury a few months ago and was curious to hear more from you guys. love this new track! like, immensely.

Jeff White

Post by Jeff White » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:15 pm

Philadelphia :hearts: Field Music.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:40 am

I found out about your band when I was visiting my girlfriend at the time in Paris, listening to CDs at Tower Records she was in class. I don't speak french, so I just wondered around to record stores and listened to music and ate a lot of food. I have Tones of Town and Field Music, and the School of Language and Week That Was records. Can't wait for the new one!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:01 am

ipressrecord wrote:How do you like the OktavaMod 319? I have a pair of MK-012s that Michael modified that I use all of the time and love. Haven't used any of the other modified mics that he's known for, though.
It's been very useful - I don't have much to compare it to (our only comparably-expensive mic is the K2 - and it's taken me a long, long time to find a use for the K2 - I never imagined it would become my fave kick and bass mic!?) but as a vocal mic (providing you're careful with placement) it can give a very pleasing thickness - plus it's been great as an overhead (we rarely use matched overheads - almost always an LDC in front of the kit and a ribbon above the drummer's head with the null towards the hi-hat) - it kind-of emphasizes the wood of the drums and isn't bright but is still very clear sounding - I'd recommend it for anyone wanting a Neil Young/Crazy Horse kit sound.
chuckfurok wrote: i can't get the file to download! ack help!
Providing you can stand the inconvenience of having to sign up to our mailing list, you can download the track (in super hi-quality mp3) and another one from our website

Hope the new stuff doesn't disappoint! I'm a little surprised, but very, very happy, that you guys have enjoyed the records so far. Thank you greatly!

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:53 pm

what interface are you guys using to record? What did you use for the School Of Language recording? I love, love that album. So cool to able to ask you questions! Yay Tape Op!

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:29 am

chuckfurok wrote:what interface are you guys using to record? What did you use for the School Of Language recording? I love, love that album. So cool to able to ask you questions! Yay Tape Op!
Oh, nothing special - the new album was all done with a focusrite 26, though if we're recording a lot of tracks in one go we might record to our Fostex D2424LV first and then adat out to the focusrite (which has two sets of adat ins and outs) - my powerbook really doesn't like trying to record 8 tracks at a time. SoL was done with an M-Audio 1814 (cheapest with most features! Ha!) but we had quite a few problems with it - other bits were with a saffire LE. Eventually, I'd like to get some nicer gear but I quite like the challenge of trying to make good-sounding records with low-end stuff (and we can't afford anything else). It's great to be able to come on a board like this and get ideas for good value equipment - probably wouldn't have bought the Oktavamod, the shinybox (first mic I've really been happy with on electric guitar) or the SM7, or even known about them, without coming on here and seeing what the pros and the enthusiasts are digging.

acjetnut
pushin' record

Post by acjetnut » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 am

Digitally mixed and mastered? Sounds freaking awesome! Good work.

dfieldmusic
audio school graduate

Post by dfieldmusic » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm

Hi tapeop-ers,

Can't believe it's been so long since I posted that track from the third Field Music record. We've done a whole other FM record since and I'm just about to put out a second album as School of Language. This - http://www.mojo4music.com/12844/school- ... -dress-up/ - is probably the grandest production on the record. I hope no-one here is overly offended by roto-toms. Enjoy!

David