I'm writing and recording a new song every week for a year..

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:20 am

Thumbs way up! I'm amazed/elated that these are on iphone. My favorites are Left To Chance (#2) and Glitter & Stone (#8, I want to hear Neko Case doing this one with The Jesus and Mary Chain)

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:03 am

Over Time is cool! I bet we have more than a few of the same favorite records!

Your project truly inspiring!

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:25 pm

Thanks again everyone. Week 17 is kicking my ass. 8 min song, what was I thinking?

Favorite albums! Great idea. I just had a friend remind me how great Sebadoh's Bakesale is. Others that are relevant to my lo-fi roots: All Guided by Voices, from Propeller to Under the Bushes..., and Eric's Trip, Love Tara & Forever Again.

How about you guys? Favorite/relevant records front to back to what your doing right now?

douglass
audio school graduate

Post by douglass » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:01 pm

this is pretty inspiring. I'm excited to hear how your perspective on art changes over the next year.
I was talking when I should have been listening

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:08 pm

project52 wrote:Thanks Casey!

I checked out your songs. They sound great - I love the fingerstyle guitar work and the sound of the MacBook mic. You should check out the Work & Worry Blog. It's a good site from here in Pittsburgh about fingerstyle and acoustic music. You should send Ray your link.

So is there an official name for the new high tech lo-fi?
ha ha cool. thanks for the link.

um, yeah...i think hi-tech lo-fi would be a great name for it i suppose.

SkylerT87
audio school graduate

Post by SkylerT87 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:10 pm

You should check out a band called The Nadas from good old Iowa, the just got done with there latest record called The Almanac, They started in January 2009 and wrote and recorded a song every month for 12 months. They also streamed lived the whole process to there fans from writing to recording in the studio.

You might get a few idea's from them. It was different way of doing things and really pushed them. Good luck to you and the songs are sounding great.
We should only need one or two takes.

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:31 pm

These songs sound great! It's fun to read all the background stories behind making them too.

rushofblood
pushin' record

Post by rushofblood » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm

Old Battles<3<3<3 my new favorite

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:39 am

Thanks again everyone.

rushofblood beat me to it! Week 17 - Old Battles is up now. Nearly 8 minutes and featuring melodica tracks. So far my closest call to breaking the week barrier. I finished the post and went live at 11:45 on Saturday night.

I wrote two songs last night, so hopefully I'll be able to start catching up to earlier in the week.

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:37 pm

Week 18 song "Foothold" is now up and mellow. Written and performed mostly with my baritone guitar. Thanks again everyone for stopping by. Let me know if anyone gets a Mikey v2. I'm eager to hear how it performs and how well the input works.

Thanks,

Corey

ghaines
alignin' 24-trk

Super cool

Post by ghaines » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:28 pm

This is super cool. You guys know that we did an article on David Strackany, who, as the artist named Paleo, who recorded a song a day for a year. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paleo ) The article was in Tape Op Issue 66. July/Aug 2008.

His instrumentation was not as detailed as Project 52 and the work Corey is doing there, so I don't want to take away from the FULL song recorded per week.

Can't wait to hear more.

GH
Senior Contributor, Tape Op
Chief Mastering Engineer, Treelady Studios - Pittsburgh, PA

www.treelady.com Treelady Mastering, Pittsburgh, PA

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:23 pm

Thank you Garrett! I'm checking out Paleo right now. Song a day is super-nuts and it looks like he's still doing songs every week. It's glad to see that there are still dudes out there more insane than me :D

There are a bunch of song-a-_____ out there, and though each is a little different, it seems that we all had similar motivations/conditions that led to taking it on.

For those of you who don't know Garrett, he's put together quite the force here in Pittsburgh, where Treelady studio has become a really special place. I wish I could go out there play with all of those great toys. Garrett and I both have lineage as planners for the City of Pgh, though his music/recording resume is pretty damn impressive. Oh, and Garrett writes for Tape Op and other publications. He did a fantastic job mastering my rookie sessions when I recorded the last Karl Hendricks album.

Thanks again man for stopping by. I dig the Paleo stuff. You guys should all check it out.

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:17 pm

Hi everyone. Week 19 - Island is up and another rocker. It's a more straight up rock tune in the vein of, I don't know, like the Afghan Whigs or Husker Du or something. I don't know, what do you guys think it sounds like. I'm at a bit of a loss.

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:46 pm

Week 20 is up now. Stop on by if you have a second.

Thanks,

Corey

project52
alignin' 24-trk

Post by project52 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:40 am

I just posted week 21 last night. Thanks everyone for following along. I'm really enjoying this project even though the time crunch can be crazy stressful at times. I would've loved to have tweaked this mix a little more, but I had six minutes left in the day when I posted it! Good news is I think the drum sound is coming along.