What are some of the most "poorly engineered" albu

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vatoben
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by vatoben » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:38 am

Aquaman wrote:
Jitters wrote:If I had a time machine I would go to Jamaca in the 70s and take a couple hundred packs of fresh bass strings.
Don't even joke about killing reggae like that.

That James Jamerson had an awful bass sound, too. Maybe you'd like to fix that as well?
Hehe. I was thinking the same thing. While you're at it, bring down a six string bass with active pickups and a Korg Triton to seal the deal. Wa-la: smooth jazz!

Marlowe
gettin' sounds

Post by Marlowe » Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:13 am

Lots of John Lennon's 70s recordings we're crappy recordings... Instant Karma, Walls & Bridges, Mind Games, etc.

Also, although there are great things about Queen's productions, there's also a lot of crap sounds on there. Horrible snare sounds. The engineering on the Jazz LP is pretty lame generally. Come to think of it, although the toms on those classic records sound great, all the other drums sound like ass.

I agree about much of the Hendrix catalog. Those records are classic despite the engineering .

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:56 am

+1 to 'Boxing Mirror' generally. Those songs kill on live recordings with the same lineup (eg Austin City Limits, even with the awful broadcast compression) but the official Cale versions sound like Menudo recordings or something.

Also: Bad Brains' 1st album has always come to mind as example of 'this could be so much more awesome if it sounded better'

thegeek
takin' a dinner break

Post by thegeek » Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Pearl Jam - Ten was just a horribly mixed album... to much reverb and the stereo image was just not there. A lot of parts sounded like a garbled mess of mono tracks.

The remixed versions are, however, a vast improvement.

ThePitz
gettin' sounds

Post by ThePitz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:56 pm

I looooooove the sound of Kid A. It's one of my main reference albums.

Though it's one of my favorite albums - Bowie's Hunky Dory has some extremely harsh brightness in it - makes it tough to listen to at higher volumes.
tra la la

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:51 am

ThePitz wrote:I looooooove the sound of Kid A. It's one of my main reference albums.
I thought In Rainbows was kind of a step back sonically for them. Good album. Just thought it could have been recorded a little better. But definately not "bad" sounding.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:04 am

Marlowe wrote:
I agree about much of the Hendrix catalog.
Man, go here, and sample "Bold as Love" on disc 2, track 7...

Even on that crappy MP3 (or whatever the hell it is), the instruments just jump out of the mix...
In a nice way...

They had the raw material, and just muddied it up...

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:40 pm

A BUNCH of the Zeppelin stuff is really rough from a technical standpoint. "The Rover" on Physical Graffiti instantly comes to mind. That mix gets crunchier and crunchier as the song plays!

FWIW, I absolutely love Zeppelin and really couldn't hear the stuff any other way now. But, it's far from pristine! :)
insert witty comment here...

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:13 pm

Almost every Husker Du record, which makes me sad. I still love the songs but have a really hard time listening to those records anymore.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:32 pm

sad iron wrote:Almost every Husker Du record, which makes me sad. I still love the songs but have a really hard time listening to those records anymore.
I can't listen to those at all. I think if someone came to me and wanted that guitar sound, I'd have to turn them down.

And all that shit Edison recorded; man, it could sound so much better.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:48 pm

I hate most stuff that sounds "too good." An example would be the Soundgarden hits that I hear on the radio. They have that "slamming" unreal sound where everything is larger than life and right in your face and hyped. Annoying.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:44 pm

The live Black Crows CD from a cuppla years ago - the vocal on it is like from a 25' tall Chris Robinson, what is scary indeed.

I mean, imagine the bag of weed he'd have to carry around, much less roll up ...

And yeah, re the Smashing Pumpkins; Zeitgeist's backing vocals are just ridiculously loud. And the Zwan record, ugh.

And re Soundgarden, that first Audioslave record is about unlistenable, and I really like the music ...

Could the last Foo Fighters' record be any more boring in production or performance? Not poor engineering, mebbe, but poor production harming a decent band.

I swear I heard a punch in the latest Govt. Mule record ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

saintcarquinez
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by saintcarquinez » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:23 pm

i can
Last edited by saintcarquinez on Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:54 pm

saintcarquinez wrote:
emrr wrote:
sad iron wrote:Almost every Husker Du record, which makes me sad. I still love the songs but have a really hard time listening to those records anymore.
I can't listen to those at all .
i can

I'll send any clients your way!
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

Jarvis
pushin' record

Post by Jarvis » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Also: Bad Brains' 1st album has always come to mind as example of 'this could be so much more awesome if it sounded better'

If you're talking about the ROIR "lightning over the capital building" album, have a little respect. It's four track 1/4" tape and the best mic on the session was a borrowed, beat up 421, used on kick and vocal OD's. More of an Albini "capture the moment scenario". Jerry Williams, the engineer, rocks. Now there's an interview for TapeOp.
Ivan the Threadstopper