Best of 2009

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Best of 2009

Post by mjau » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:59 am

So, what was it...best albums released in 2009?
I'm sure I'll remember more as time passes, but right now, the following come to mind as really stellar records released this year:

Bill Callahan / Sometimes I Wish...
Bonnie 'Prince' Billy / Beware
Tortoise / Beacons of Ancestorship

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:44 am

i'm biased but the shills 'ganymede' was one of the best records i heard this year. the guy capecelatro record i just mastered for jon nolan is pretty astoundingly wonderful as well.

BandyLou
alignin' 24-trk

Post by BandyLou » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:45 am

Califone - All My Friends Are Funeral Singers

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Liked the Bonnie Prince Billy record too, expect the first song. For some reason it drives me nuts.

Plus I liked...
Grizzly Bear - Vekatimest (even thought it was over-hyped)
Polvo - In Prism (despite it's smashed-to-heck mastering job)
Kings of Conveneniece - Declaration of Dependence (except ms. cold, that song is just lame)

I still need to buy that Tortiose album....

EDIT:

Totally forgot about the new Do Make Say Think. I listened to the LP at a friends house this weekend and it was really great. I thought it was a huge improvement over their last record, and it's really aggressive in some parts which they do well.
Last edited by ott0bot on Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathangrn
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Nathangrn » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:20 am

The Beatles remasters

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.
"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

http://openbookquiz.bandcamp.com/

http://myspace.com/openbookquiz

http://myspace.com/artiejohnsonnathangreen

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:08 am

Nathangrn wrote:The Beatles remasters

This is like shooting fish in a barrel.
I was inclined to say that one on principle alone, but I haven't picked it up yet (it's coming for xmas, I think).

Rufer
pushin' record

Post by Rufer » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:45 am

Dinosaur Jr.--Farm
Dan Auerbach--Keep it Hid
Monsters of Folk

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:51 am

Baroness - The Blue Record
Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
Burnt by the Sun - Heart of Darkness
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

chuckfurok
steve albini likes it

Post by chuckfurok » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:18 am

another vote for that Bill Callahan album, still in love with that one

Wilco - Wilco
Girls
Vic Chessnut - At the Cut

380fjnOk
studio intern

Post by 380fjnOk » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:54 pm

my favorite this year is:

PJ Harvey & John Parish: A woman a man walked by

great songs & very nicely produced, sounds great! and as with most great records: I didn?t like it at first, now I love it.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:47 pm

It's been a good year!

The Beatles Remasters
Alice In Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
Porcupine Tree - The Incident
OSI - Blood
Steven Wilson - Insurgentes

Some of the best albums I've bought in 20 years, really...
insert witty comment here...

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:16 pm

woodhenge wrote: Porcupine Tree - The Incident
+1

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:25 am

Here are my top ten. I wrote up little reviews and posted this on the WOXY message board (internet radio station that used to broadcast in Cincinnati) and my friend's blog Almost Four Stars

Top 10 of the Year:

10. Julie Doiron - I Can Wonder What You Did With Your Day

Julie Doiron's albums are sad. Her wobbly voice, dark lyrics (sometimes in French, so they might be about puppy dogs and hamburgers and I wouldn't know), and sparse arrangements is a far cry from her old rock band, Eric's Trip, so I didn't expect her to come out with something upbeat. The formula is simple: distorted guitars, drums, bass, and a great voice and songs. It's a similar formula to what made Exile In Guyville and early Mirah records so great. I hope she continues to make records like this in the future.

9. Farmer Dave Scher - Flash Forward to the Good Times

Dave Scher used to be a member of The Beachwood Sparks, a band I've liked for a long time. They inspired me to delve deeper into the music of The Byrds and Gram Parsons/Flying Burrito Brothers, and also lead to the discovery of one of my favorite 90's bands, Further. Subsequent projects by the members have drifted between great (Nobody & the Mystic Chords of Memory - Tree Colored See), enjoyable (The Tyde and All Night Radio), to easily forgettable (Frausdots and Fairechild). This is Dave Scher's first release under his own name (I don't know where the Farmer comes from, I always thought they were surfer dudes), and has more in common with the psychedelic leanings of All Night Radio than Beachwood Sparks' country rock, but the songs are more direct and memorable. It pays tribute to all the great heroes of pop music like the Beach Boys ("Surf Out Sunset") and Small Faces ("Our Love is a Wave"), so there is something pleasantly familiar with all the songs. I hate albums that have to grow on you or you have to learn to love. There is so much music available, it's nice to find a release I love after the first listen.

8. Boston Spaceships - Planets are Blasted

Sometimes I wish Bob Pollard would just go away, or take a few months off. It be nice to have some time to sit back and absorb his legacy without being bothered with 2 or 3 new albums every year. I've been suckered into buying to so many of his throw away and half baked ideas that I already know how every review is going to read: "Several gems, but too much filler." The thing is, Planets are Blasted is every bit as good as Under the Brushes, Under the Stars or Mag Earwig so he's hooked me again, to be dragged along for another 5 years until his next great release.

7. Robyn Hitchcock & the Venus 3 - Goodnight Olso

There are a few rock veterans who still release the occasional relevant album, but no one as consistently as Robyn Hitchcock. His voice is just as strong as it's always been, and his tongue just as sharp. Goodnight Olso is his best album of the millennium; unlike Ole! Tarantula or Spooked there isn't a track a skip.

6. The Thermals - Now We Can See

If I threw parties, I'd put on this album. Music can be a revealing look inside a person, and I can feel the joy playing these songs brings the band. Now We Can See is a great way to start off any day. Just skip "Liquid In, Liquid Out" because it's sort of stupid.

5. Telekinesis! - Telekinesis!

I saw a video for "Tokyo" on public television at 1 AM and went out and bought this record the next day. The song was so infectious, I had high hopes for this band and they pleasantly satisfied them. There is a youthful energy about this group that you can't help but root for them.

4. Built to Spill - There is No Enemy

I'm going to be honest, any new albums by this band is going to end up in my year end list because they play the kind of music I want to play. It's fun, mostly lighthearted pop that is guitar heavy without the pointless noodling; the riffs speak as clearly as the lyrics do. They are a band that refuses to changes, and they have no reason to.

3. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm

Farm is loud. Like, turn your speakers up and play air guitar in your underwear kind of loud. In fact, that's exactly what I was doing when I decided this was one of my favorite albums of the year. Even the Lou Barlow songs are a solid, which is hardly ever the case with Dinosaur records. I wish every band could get back together and release an album as solid as Farm, which I consider some of the best material of their careers. Fingers crossed for the Pixies comeback.

2. Cass McCombs - Catacombs

It's a rare to find an artist who is a great songwriter and also has a unique sound. When you hear his songs you know it's him; he has a sonic signature in a time when so many bands are trying to recreate what other bands have done. For a guy who has always been an opening act for big bands (Blonde Redhead, Modest Mouse, and The Decemberists to name a few) Catacombs should boost him to headlining status.

1. Brakes - Touchdown

Third times a charm for these Brit rockers. I've been into this band since their self-titled debut, and each album has become less spastic and chaotic. This is an album in every sense of the word; solid all the way through. There's not enough bands making music like this any more, and they should. Put the synthesizers and effects in the closet, plug in the electric guitar and fuzz pedal, and write songs about girls and rock and roll.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:52 pm

A few of my favorites were reissues:

The Monks catalog (particularly the "Early Years" disc)

REM- Murmur Deluxe Anniversary Edition (Calbi's remaster sounds great and the live disc is really good)

Big Star- Keep An Eye On The Sky box set

Brant Bjork's Punk Rock Guilt is a terrific limited-eiditon new release that came out this year. It sounds insanely good.

The Public Good's No. 1 is a favorite. (Disclaimer-- I'm credited on this, but didn't work on it at all. I still think it's one of the best albums out this year.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Mount Eerie - Wind's Poem (my favorite for the year)

Lightning Bolt - Earthly Delights

Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport

The Flaming Lips - Embryonic

BLK JKS - After Robots

Russian Circles - Geneva
ott0bot wrote:Totally forgot about the new Do Make Say Think. I listened to the LP at a friends house this weekend and it was really great. I thought it was a huge improvement over their last record, and it's really aggressive in some parts which they do well.
380fjnOk wrote:my favorite this year is:

PJ Harvey & John Parish: A woman a man walked by

great songs & very nicely produced, sounds great! and as with most great records: I didn?t like it at first, now I love it.