Anyone else think 3 is the perfect number of guitar solos

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Anyone else think 3 is the perfect number of guitar solos

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:42 pm

My faves in chrono order...

Sweet FA - Sweet
Plasma Jam - Plasmatics
Stevie's Spankin' - Zappa
Prince's opening number at the Superbowl? - Prince

I could go on.

Or is this just part of my drummer feeblemindedness?

Please list more songs that have 3 or more guitar solos.

What about Maggot Brain, pretty much one long solo.

Happy Holidays.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:27 pm

one is more than enough!i HATE guitar solos! pure wankery. same goes for drum/bass/keyboard solos too.

:evil: :twisted: :evil:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:38 pm

man, even most metal tunes don't have three guitar solos.

this is hard.

'no remorse' off kill 'em all has two awesome solos in the intro alone, which has gotta count for something. i can't remember if there's another one in the middle though.

Beardaby Jones
ass engineer

Post by Beardaby Jones » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:40 pm

More slap bass solos

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 am

Babaluma wrote:one is more than enough!i HATE guitar solos! pure wankery. same goes for drum/bass/keyboard solos too.

I knew I'd get at least one of these.
Carl Keil

Babaluma
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Babaluma » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:51 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:
Babaluma wrote:one is more than enough!i HATE guitar solos! pure wankery. same goes for drum/bass/keyboard solos too.

I knew I'd get at least one of these.
ha ha!

merry xmas dude, no offense, just a personal dislike. my dad's been a guitarist for about 45 years, and i have very unhappy memories of him spending hours, and Days and WEEKS trying to learn the solo from "hotel california", so i'm kind of biased.

;)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:10 am

Babaluma wrote:no offense
None taken. There's no accounting for taste, everybody likes (and hates) something different. It's what makes the world go round and what stops us dead in our tracks sometimes.
Carl Keil

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:04 am

Good guitar solos are not wankery, any more than good trumpet or sax solos are (there are exactly 2 good trombone solos out there--one is Tom Malone's solo on the Blues Brothers' "Sweet Home Chicago" and the other is Jack Teagarden on "Meet Me Where They Play The Blues"). However, there are many many mediocre to bad solos out there, or songs with solos where a solo is really not an appropriate addition to the arrangement.

I don't tend to put lots of solos in the stuff I record because to be honest I don't consider myself that gifted a soloist. I've been playing in a duo project lately where the person I'm working with insists that all of her songs contain a solo, and it's a constant point of contention. But both of us grew up in the era where every rock song had to have a guitar solo...she just hasn't figured out that isn't the case anymore.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:20 am

dwlb wrote:Good guitar solos are not wankery
SO true! One man's wankery is another man's ear candy...

I used to think that every song needed a kick-ass guitar solo, or 2, or 3... My brain used to be heavily filled with Hendrix, Zeppelin, Cream, Boston, Frampton, Van Halen, etc... but these days, I hardly ever seem to write a song with a 'solo' section. Maybe I need to revisit those things again!

As for pure guitar solo madness/bliss, just about any Dream Theater record will satisfy the solo craving... both guitar and keyboard. Maybe a bit over-indulgent (or a LOT over indulgent depending on your tastes!), but typically pretty tasty with a lot of the "wow" factor if you're into that. Lots of extended solos, too.

Even better, some of the same guys did a couple of instrumental records under the band name "Liquid Tension Experiment" (with Tony Levin on bass!) that is pure lead over-intoxication. Pure shredder bliss...

:D
insert witty comment here...

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:00 am

My band! :P

I do this on quite a few tunes...

When it's right, it's right.

How about Neil Young?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:13 am

Only if you are Built to Spill :hearts:
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

tonic889
alignin' 24-trk

Post by tonic889 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:25 am

November Rain <snicker>

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:53 am

dwlb wrote:there are exactly 2 good trombone solos out there--one is Tom Malone's solo on the Blues Brothers' "Sweet Home Chicago" and the other is Jack Teagarden on "Meet Me Where They Play The Blues"
AHEM.

Fred Wesley.

so, i have a guitar solo story, sort of....years ago i was painting my old studio, and all i had for music was my little clock radio. the only stations that came in were the modern rock one and the classic rock one. naturally you know which one i went with. so i spent my day hearing all the old songs everyone knows and is sick of, and many of these songs contain some quite fine guitar solos.

and at some point i realized that none of the music i usually listen to, and none of the songs any of my bands were writing, had guitar solos. and that's mostly a good thing, cause like others have mentioned, i grew up in an era where every song had to have a solo...hell i was a teenage shredding virtuoso in a past life....and i felt like it was good to get away from that.

but i realized i kinda missed the effect a really good guitar solo can have on a tune. you know, you get to the point in the song after the second chorus and the guitar player busts in and gives the song a shot of adrenaline, takes everything up a notch.

it made me a little sad.

anyway, two days later, i went to see calexico and iron and wine. calexico were amazing all around, but the third song they played, i dunno the name, but it was a kinda straight ahead catchy rocker. and it went verse/chorus/verse/chorus and then BAM! the guitar player kicked right into this perfect, simple solo that did exactly what i was talking about above.

i was wiping away tears.

after the last chorus he kicked into an even awesomer solo that REALLY took it up a notch.

wiped away more tears.

just one of those little perfect moments, you know.

anyway, there might be some 3-solo songs on megadeth's 'rust in peace'. i always thought marty friedman was one of those rare super-shredder dudes who actually wasn't annoying. always loved chris poland's playing on 'peace sells' as well.

and just to mention 'stairway to heaven' in as many threads as possible, besides having possibly the best snare sound ever, it also has one of the best guitar solos ever committed to tape. i don't think anyone can call that one wankery.

Jimmy Page
audio school

Post by Jimmy Page » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:17 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:and just to mention 'stairway to heaven' in as many threads as possible, besides having possibly the best snare sound ever, it also has one of the best guitar solos ever committed to tape. i don't think anyone can call that one wankery.
A bit of tripe, really. Tossed that one off in 10 minutes. Djalike it then?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:21 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
dwlb wrote:there are exactly 2 good trombone solos out there--one is Tom Malone's solo on the Blues Brothers' "Sweet Home Chicago" and the other is Jack Teagarden on "Meet Me Where They Play The Blues"
AHEM.

Fred Wesley.
Scott, you of all people should know I was joking there.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/