Why did everybody use so much reverb in the 80s?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Why did everybody use so much reverb in the 80s?

Post by giuseppe_fl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:33 am

And even up into the early, 90s, classic and forgotten records alike are doused in this shiny, fake-sounding reverb halo.

What were folks thinking? From the Replacements (Don't Tell a Soul) to Appetite for Destruction to Nothing's Shocking to Louder Than Love... and it's never that cool, spooky ambient reverb and it's never natural sounding.

Seems like it was an '87-'91 phenomenon.

I have wondered about this for some time.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 am

It was new.

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:35 am

love it.
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:04 am

It sounded good at the time. Someday they'll ask why records of the 00s used so much compression.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 am

Heck, some us ask that NOW. I'm waiting for the remasters 20 years from now where they take off all the heavy limiting.

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 am

sears wrote:It sounded good at the time.
Well.....
Artifex wrote:I'm waiting for the remasters 20 years from now where they take off all the heavy limiting.
sears wrote:Someday they'll ask why records of the 00s used so much compression.
No argument there.
Last edited by giuseppe_fl on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

desdinova
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by desdinova » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:46 am

Why is everyone from country to hiphop to Khmer pop (don't ask) using that horrific hard auto-tuning effect? Artifex is right, it sounds "fresh" so people will wring out that rag until it's dry.
It's no different than "E. Piano 1"/"Fulltines", then "LA Piano" for pop/ballads. Most of the time I don't notice the trends but I was getting sick of SID arps being used in hiphop/R&B, I think it's over at this point though. Still can't wait for T-Pain's children to go back to singing.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:20 am

desdinova wrote:Why is everyone from country to hiphop to Khmer pop (don't ask) using that horrific hard auto-tuning effect? Artifex is right, it sounds "fresh" so people will wring out that rag until it's dry.
It's no different than "E. Piano 1"/"Fulltines", then "LA Piano" for pop/ballads. Most of the time I don't notice the trends but I was getting sick of SID arps being used in hiphop/R&B, I think it's over at this point though. Still can't wait for T-Pain's children to go back to singing.
No shit. I'd rather hear lots 'o reverb rather than autotune. That bugs the hell outta me. There are bands I wanted to check out and get into but couldn't just because of that ie: Owl City and Imogen Heap.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:31 am

Artifex wrote:Heck, some us ask that NOW. I'm waiting for the remasters 20 years from now where they take off all the heavy limiting.
I was certainly gonna say it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:40 am

toaster3000 wrote:love it.
+1

giuseppe_fl
alignin' 24-trk

Post by giuseppe_fl » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:51 am

desdinova wrote:Why is everyone from country to hiphop to Khmer pop (don't ask) using that horrific hard auto-tuning effect? Artifex is right, it sounds "fresh" so people will wring out that rag until it's dry.
Classic book called Rock and the Pop Narcotic. It's basic hypothesis: Performers are a pain in the ass to the producer-driven commercial music industry, so the industry likes anything that minimizes the necessity of performers and -- even worse -- tight-knit performer ensembles (AKA: "bands"). So bands are marginalized and drum machine music comes to dominate. A producer is not a band but a producer can run a drum machine and a synth just fine. Say what you will about that theory, but the ubiquity of auto-tune over the last 10 years seems to fit in there pretty nicely.

But a drum machine won't ruin my experience listening to a song. And neither will bad-sounding reverb. But auto-tune, the minute I hear it, I think "SNL skit". It takes me right out of the listening experience. It's totally comic, an instant punchline.

mr.adambeck
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by mr.adambeck » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 am

The rise and fall of autotune has been quite interesting, and I think at this point we're going to really see a drastic decline and use of it only in a comical or commercial jingle sense. Maybe full on vocoder's are next with vocals "playing" chords and harmonies to themselves, who knows. However I think this topic deserves a different thread.

What I find interesting is that 80's reverbed out production (which I admit, I like, especially gated reverb!) seems to be making a come back.

roygbiv
re-cappin' neve

Re: Why did everybody use so much reverb in the 80s?

Post by roygbiv » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:22 am

One factor: the quality/strength of Ganja improved dramatically in the 80's. This was a problem, because we all smoked huge doobies like it was still 70's era cheap Mexican weed.

That, coupled with all the new effects/toys that suddenly became available resulted in (sometimes) too much drippy reverb (and echo too).
"Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency."

Cellotron
tinnitus

Post by Cellotron » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

It was a reaction to the sound of the mid to late 70's. Everyone had built really dead tracking rooms and was close mic'ing. Worked for some things and was lifeless for others. The first digital reverbs were released and all of a sudden there was a tool to allow things tracked in these dead rooms to sound "big" - well, bigger in artificial ambience at least. Hugh Padghdam and a few others figured out some reverb gating tricks for some tracks which became big hits and this got copied ad infinitum.

Every era of pop audio production goes through similar issues. Today we have to deal with tracks that are overly peak limited, overly beat detected, overly plugin processed, and overly auto-tuned instead. Which is the greater evil is a matter of subjective taste. If the choice is between the Cocteau Twins and Kesha I'll take the Cocteau Twins!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nns0dwzsBig

Best regards,
Steve Berson

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:12 am

suppositron wrote:
desdinova wrote: I'd rather hear lots 'o reverb rather than autotune. That bugs the hell outta me. There are bands I wanted to check out and get into but couldn't just because of that ie: Owl City and Imogen Heap.
Here's the thing about auto-tune. It's been more than 10 years since Cher made the "electro-yodel" a big thing, and I've got a feeling it's here to stay. At least in the genre of dance / electronica / club music ... I just can't imagine it will ever go away.

At least the two artists you mention (Owl City & Imogen Heap) are using it in an interesting way, as opposed to T-pain, Ne-yo, Hannah Montanna and their ilk, who are just using it because "well if you can't sing, you can at least yodel like a motherfucker with auto-tune".