Great albums- bad recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Great albums- bad recordings

Post by Dubmaniac » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Today at work, I put on Warehouse: Songs and stories, a 1987 album by Husker Du. The songs range from pretty good to fantastic- okay, mostly fantastic, but I was appalled at the sound quality. It was brittle and harsh- midrangey and almost painful to listen to. I had to EQ out a lot of the midrange just to get through it! All of this got me wondering a couple of things- first, has this album ever been remastered, and how did it even get released sounding like this? Second- how often does this happen? Great performances that were nearly obliterated by awful recording, mixing and/or mastering? I'm sure I'll think of other examples with time, but this one was so obvious that I had to mention it. How about you? What's on your list and why?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:10 am

i think that's just how husker du records sound. you've heard zen arcade right? sounds like a frying pan.

check this thread:

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=68033

egr
alignin' 24-trk

Post by egr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:26 am

"Motorcade of Generosity" by Cake fits your description perfectly. I love the album (Jolene is probably my top song by them) but the album has no low end and sounds like it was recorded with the tiniest amount of signal possible. It's a shame, really. :x

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:44 pm

Warehouse is a great record; recenly listened to it myself.

Seems to me that was on SST?

Just checked - nope, Warner's.

I was gonna say a lot of the SST stuff sounded like that ... and blame Spot.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:18 pm

Something just occured to me. This was released only about five years after CDs first came onto the market. I wonder if Warehouse (and all the other Husker Du albums) were victims of mixing for vinyl, not CD. Has anyone else heard this theory about early CD releases? That they were originally mixed for vinyl, then dumped onto CD without being remixed or remastered for CD? A good example of this is ABC's "Lexicon of love"- sounded great on LP, awful on CD. I don't know if it's because early digital wasn't that good, or because whoever did the CD transfers didn't know what they were doing.

MoreSpaceEcho- I haven't heard anything else from Husker Du, but maybe you're right- that's just the way they sound... like a frying pan. Were their earlier albums sonically worse than "Warehouse"? Or did they all sound consistently bad, even though the songs were great?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:54 am

Foo Fighters (self titled) debut album to me is both bad and great at the same time. I think it was originally meant to be demos... a little lo-fi

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:10 am

Dubmaniac wrote:Something just occured to me. This was released only about five years after CDs first came onto the market. I wonder if Warehouse (and all the other Husker Du albums) were victims of mixing for vinyl, not CD. Has anyone else heard this theory about early CD releases? That they were originally mixed for vinyl, then dumped onto CD without being remixed or remastered for CD? A good example of this is ABC's "Lexicon of love"- sounded great on LP, awful on CD. I don't know if it's because early digital wasn't that good, or because whoever did the CD transfers didn't know what they were doing.

MoreSpaceEcho- I haven't heard anything else from Husker Du, but maybe you're right- that's just the way they sound... like a frying pan. Were their earlier albums sonically worse than "Warehouse"? Or did they all sound consistently bad, even though the songs were great?
It wasn't a mixing problem. It was a mastering problem. Lots of early CD releases weren't remastered for digital. They just used the vinyl master, RIAA eq and all.
RIAA eq was used to get the most out of vinyl records. Low frequencies were cut and highs were boosted on the master. Your phono pre-amp would decode that eq buy cutting the same highs and boosting the same lows. The result was a flat eq.

Without a phone pre amp decoding the RIAA eq you end up with a really brittle horrible sound.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:15 am

There's a Riot Goin' On - Sly Stone

Badly done to the point that even non-engineers are aware of the production issues. And so beautiful. The remake of "Thank You" on Riot is the better version, IMHO.
Prog out with your cog out.

bipedal
alignin' 24-trk

Post by bipedal » Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:28 am

Husker stuff sounded like that. IMO, New Day Rising and Flip Your Wig are the best-sounding of their studio albums, but both still have gobs of that tinny fizz vibe.

Among all of the official Husker Du stuff, the live album The Living End is the one that's most "listenable" to me. (Pretty rippin' versions of most of the tunes as well. That version of "Ice Cold Ice" is killer.)
I like recording stuff.
Bassist, guitarist, pedal builder, recovering music snob.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:01 pm

This thread recurs every 8 months or so.

I jumped in so I could mention "Zen Arcade" and the Sly Stone album, but others beat me to it.

Now, right on schedule, I must add the 1st Bad Brains record to the list.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:11 pm

Husker Du is the new 'First!'
Prog out with your cog out.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm

I think Dinosaur Jr. "Beyond" sounds awful. A lot of pumping in the compression, and the kick, snare, and bass can get completely lost when Jay piles on the guitars. "Farm" sounds better. It's still incredibly loud, but at least I can hear everything.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Sean Sullivan wrote:I think Dinosaur Jr. "Beyond" sounds awful. A lot of pumping in the compression, and the kick, snare, and bass can get completely lost when Jay piles on the guitars. "Farm" sounds better. It's still incredibly loud, but at least I can hear everything.
I agree!

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 pm

So does anyone have the anti-RIAA curve they care to share?

ashcat_lt
tinnitus

Post by ashcat_lt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:30 pm

kayagum wrote:So does anyone have the anti-RIAA curve they care to share?
Aw...the picture I posted is too big, and ain't mine anyhow. Google images.

I found this plugin.