Vlayman & SNARL: Never Mind the Hair

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

vvv
zen recordist

Vlayman & SNARL: Never Mind the Hair

Post by vvv » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:04 pm

Never Mind the Hair
c. '10 Vlayman Produx

Aiight baby it's time to leave
We had these plans for weeks
I know yer mama's gonna care for the kids
It's aiight baby, jes' leave it

What are you doing in there?
Never mind the hair

Just do a whore's bath and spray some shit on yer pits
Glob on some mascara and swipe yer lipstick
You been workin' too hard in this here old house
Now's our time to get out

You already look pretty fair
Never mind the hair
Never mind the hair

Wear some old jeans that ya wear down to there
Don't even bother with no underwear
Brush yer teeth real quick and make 'em look good
Like yer mama always said ya should
Grab yer bag and also some extra coin
Let's head down to the Tenderloin
We'll get a bite and go cut some rug
Then rent a cheap room and make some loud love

You already look pretty fair
Never mind the hair
Never mind the hair

Drums: SNARL
Bass: P-VTB1
Gtr_L: Hamer-VTB1
Gtr_Rt: Hamer-Marshall-58-VTB1
Ld. Gtr: Hamer-Zoom GM220_L-VTB1-Rt-dbx163X
Voc: AT4040-Meek
SmashTrack: SM58-VTB1
Tambo: 58-VTB1
Last edited by vvv on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

XDigitalpostXGoldstar
audio school graduate

Feels draggy

Post by XDigitalpostXGoldstar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:58 pm

Good overall production technically, but the whole thing is feels draggy, like you are waiting for your girl to get out of the bathroom. Artistically that may have been your intention. The girl takes forever. That don't mean the song has to. Complain faster and with a hook at the start! Just cause your girl takes forever, don't make us wait for the hook. There really isn't a strong hook in here.

I feel that if you focus on a non draggy hook and perhaps try to go harder faster stronger, you guys have the technical ability to knock out something really good. This one isn't it however.

Keep at it! :)
PLACE THE AUDIO HOOK IN THE FIRST 5 SECONDS OF YOUR TRACK OR I MOVE TO NEXT ONE! [I have a short attention span & so does America] 1989, This was Digital Post next 2 Disney> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=41802256

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:27 am

There are other esthetics besides the "give me the hook in under 5 seconds or I'm going to kill your puppy" school.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:24 pm

An interesting view XDXG, thanks!

It's funny - as you may know from my The Friday Project (TFP) threads, I have had a local (Chicago) drummer for a little over a year, and now a new guitarist.

We have about 70 songs.

I'm not kidding - oh, alright, 67 songs.

Butt now that we have a guitarist, my jazzy, ethno-drummer is expressing a greater preference for the poppy stuff, and wants me to aim for more hooks in my writing - less Cave and Waits and Lanegan and more Morphine and Police, to name some influences.

Butt dammit, I love Cave and Lanegan and Waits!

So it could be my more esoteric stuff's gonna be with Sr. Snarl on drums. :twisted:

And FWIW, for me, this tune is about the fookin' cool drums.

I actually considered no chorus (what I think is the "hook" you reference?) at all, but someone used the line about "never mind the hare" in another forum (a story about animals) and it just hit me as funny and so ...

Stay toont - we may have a SNARL/Vlayman EP on Bandmix soon!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

XDigitalpostXGoldstar
audio school graduate

I listened twice

Post by XDigitalpostXGoldstar » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:17 am

I listened to >

Hold Tight
Vlayman & SNARL

off your website. I listened twice cause I kind of liked it and it kind of reminded me of screwing my x girlfriend. Of course you may have just been reffering to holding onto the bar and not falling of your bar stool.

The song is disjointed but in a good way. I could try to suggest things to do to it, but it would probably be too much work and like I said, I kind of like it as is, but it feels like if you do something to it it could be even better. It would be interesting if you could focus the "thing" a bit. A dance bass line? No? Recurring vocals? Just more vocals? A female vocal backup track? Maybe some rhythmic snippets of 50's sci fi films programmed into poly rhythms on a drum machine?

I am not sure what but if you can focus the listener on something that recurrs...

If not that's OK it is what it is. Not commercial viable as is. But interesting.

I sense the talent needs to be focused like a laser beam to write a commercially viable track and wanting to work toward that goal.
PLACE THE AUDIO HOOK IN THE FIRST 5 SECONDS OF YOUR TRACK OR I MOVE TO NEXT ONE! [I have a short attention span & so does America] 1989, This was Digital Post next 2 Disney> http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... D=41802256

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:35 am

Yes, under the right tutelage, I too feel that they could become the next Justin Bieber.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:33 am

And here I was shooting towards Justin Timberlake.

I missed, of course, and he were outta range anyway ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:55 pm

Can the moderators please send this XDigitalpostXGoldstar character to the principle's office. He's putting gum in everyone's hair and shit.

I'm serious. This guy is worse than Gearslutz.
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:16 pm

VVV, we better watch out. I see an invoice for $35 in our future.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:11 pm

:lol:

We'll see what's said about the next one.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Re: I listened twice

Post by palinilap » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 pm

XDigitalpostXGoldstar wrote:I listened to >

Hold Tight
Vlayman & SNARL

off your website. I listened twice cause I kind of liked it and it kind of reminded me of screwing my x girlfriend. Of course you may have just been reffering to holding onto the bar and not falling of your bar stool.

The song is disjointed but in a good way. I could try to suggest things to do to it, but it would probably be too much work and like I said, I kind of like it as is, but it feels like if you do something to it it could be even better. It would be interesting if you could focus the "thing" a bit. A dance bass line? No? Recurring vocals? Just more vocals? A female vocal backup track? Maybe some rhythmic snippets of 50's sci fi films programmed into poly rhythms on a drum machine?

I am not sure what but if you can focus the listener on something that recurrs...

If not that's OK it is what it is. Not commercial viable as is. But interesting.

I sense the talent needs to be focused like a laser beam to write a commercially viable track and wanting to work toward that goal.
I've always hoped that Simon Cowell would one day join TOMB.