what is this song?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

what is this song?

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:25 am

I don't keep up with popular music too much... there's some song which is extremely popular right now; I hear it all the time blasting from cars. That's the only way I've heard it, so I haven't even heard the whole song, just this one part: it's piano, playing AAE EEE/F#F#D DDD, then repeats. The AAE and F#F#D parts are slow (quarter note) triplets, and the EEE and DDD parts are fast (eighth note) triplets. I might have the key wrong-- I figured it out from memory, but those are definitely the intervals. I don't even particularly like the song; I'm just curious to know what it is.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:08 am

Popular + piano = Sara Bareilles?

Looks like the "King of Anything" track is the most popular off her new album.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:50 am

Professor T wrote:Popular + piano = Sara Bareilles?

Looks like the "King of Anything" track is the most popular off her new album.
It's not that song. I think after the piano line, a male voice starts rapping. So it's probably hiphop. I could probably walk a few blocks down my street and hear it twice in five minutes, just from the cars passing by, it's so popular. Whatever it is.

If you play the line I quoted in the first post, and you've heard the song, you should recognize it instantly. That's pretty much all there is to the song.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:01 pm

I'd run through the top singles charts on itunes.

SoulOfJonas
pushin' record

Post by SoulOfJonas » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 pm

"Empire State of Mind" by Jay Z ft Alicia Keys??? Just a wild guess based off of the "piano" and "rapping" tips. I live in NYC too and can't count how many times I've heard cars driving by blasting that song. Hell, if the stereo in my car was working I'd be blasting it too. That's a hell of a driving song :)
John Valencia - Freelance audio-recorder-mixer guy
-One East Recording (Matt Wells)
-Melody Lanes (Jay Braun)

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:01 am

You could give this site a try - it guesses the song after you tap the rhythm on the space bar.

http://www.bored.com/songtapper/?dotap=1

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:36 pm

It's not Empire State of Mind. The tapping site came up with Comfortably Numb as the first choice... not much hope there. If you play the melody above, and you know the song, you will recognize it. The piano part isn't background; it's the focus.