menomena - mines

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

menomena - mines

Post by dave watkins » Wed Jul 21, 2010 7:49 pm

so the new record is streaming on npr and it's quite awesome. just thought i'd share...

http://www.npr.org/templates/player/med ... =128512671

definitely a band i'd vote for a second tapeop article on
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

lancebug
re-cappin' neve

Post by lancebug » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:26 pm

I'm excited that they're on the road and are passing through town in Sept. +1 on the follow up interview, although I know its not at all likely. Would love to get a glimpse into their writing process.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:27 am

i definitely realize it's pretty much just not going to happen and completely respect that. but i too am indeed just absolutely fascinated with the idea of their writing recording process and would love a more in depth look at.

darjama
tinnitus

Post by darjama » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:16 am

These guys rule. Unfortunately I'll be out of town when they pass thru DC.

And props to NPR for streaming so many good artists in advance of their release date. I'll bet they've clued a lot of people into some cool music.

ottokbre
deaf.

Post by ottokbre » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:05 pm

Caught the show. Both technically and artistically awesome. Soul for days. Loved it!
boobs are life's fountain

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:38 am

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys like about this band? And I mean that sincerely, not as a rhetorical question like the old out of touch dad who's like "Why do you like Apple Jacks when they don't even taste like apples?" I feel like their aesthetic is right up my alley, but I just can't dig it. Elements seem kind if cut and pasted like--whoah what if we did that crazy thing here! And the vocals aren't that strong.

I do LOVE what I have heard from Ramona Falls, though.
I like to build the stuff that I record with.
www.diyrecordingequipment.com

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:03 pm

i wouldn't worry about it too much, sometimes there's music that just doesn't do it for you, and that's all it comes down to. it's hard to explain. i know there's a whole bunch of stuff out there that would be considered critically acclaimed (and i'm not gonna name names cause it'll inevitably turn into a "i can't believe you don't like such and such band" thread), and that a lot of my friends like, and i can see why they like it, and why i technically should like it... but i just have no desire to sit down and listen to a whole damn record for whatever reason, and a lot of times i can't find the words to justify why. other than the fact the everyone enjoys things differently and that's perfectly ok.

for me, some of the things you mentioned disliking are the things i like about menomena. the fact they have some homemade piece of software they use to record and arrange random parts and assemble music and then they go back and figure out how to play those arrangements live - i think that's awesome, and i like the fact that things come out of who knows where and are surprising and exciting. also the drums for the most part are bad-ass, and i don't really have any problems with the vocals either.

so yeah, to each there own, and the Ramona Falls stuff is definitely awesome.