New John Mellencamp / T-Bone produced album

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

New John Mellencamp / T-Bone produced album

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:20 am

NEVER (in a million years) thought I'd utter the following sentences...

A very interesting listen. Great recording/songs.

What makes it interesting..... Recorded in the First African Baptist Church in Savannah, GA, 706 Union Ave., Memphis TN where Sam Phillips recorded Howlin Wolf, Elvis, and rm 414 of the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, where Robert Johnson was first recorded. All with one mic, live to 1/4".

(From his website)
Recorded In Savannah, Memphis, And San Antonio With 1 RCA 77 DX Microphone (Savannah & San Antonio) or 1 RCA 44 (Memphis)- Mono To An Ampex 601 ?? Reel To Reel.
I dream of the day when I get to record musicians good enough, and in a room with the character to allow me to approach making a record with such simplicity.

Kudos to T-Bone Burnett for doing something different.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:39 am

I heard an interview with Mellencamp on NPR yesterday morning, and said to myself, "Must be T-Bone Burnett producing." Sure enough, next sentence mentioned him. I could tell the clips they played had the sound of the room even in my truck.

One of Mellencamp's quotes in the interview was something like, "I asked TBone, 'What were we doing in the 80's, recording the songs 100 times and using all those tracks.'" Another comment was, "We weren't good enough musicians back then to record this way."

I'm looking forward to listening to this in some good phones.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:48 am

I've definitely been interested in this, which is more than I can say about anything else JM's done in more than a decade.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Cool.

I'll buy it soon.

Thanks for the comment.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

nwxnw
audio school

Post by nwxnw » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:39 pm

Bought the album today and I like it - like the songs and the feel of it. But this talk about songs being recorded at Sun Studios seems off the mark. This is what it says at Mellencamp's official website:
While Sun Studios actually is a working recording facility, its equipment has been updated since the days of Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins, Johnny Cash and Jerry Lee Lewis so Mellencamp?s team used the Ampex machine and established a makeshift recording booth in a construction shed in a vacant lot next door. Mellencamp and his musicians did, dutifully, arrange themselves on the studio floor in accordance with markings that had been laid down by Sam Phillips many years before for optimal presence.
That Sun Studios has some magical room sound if you can hear it while recording in a neighboring construction shed.

EDIT: Do you think they mean control room rather than recording booth?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:29 am

The last Coogs was also by T-Bone; I liked it.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 am

vvv wrote:The last Coogs was also by T-Bone; I liked it.
The last album is also available in a 24 bit 96K format.

I liked it too.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:51 pm

I like T-bone Burnett. He is inspiration. There, I said it.
I'll mention this to my fellow headphone warmers, local guys with nice home studios like me, talented recordists who happen to dig pretty much the same whatever as I do, and they roll their eyes with "ohh...T-Bone Burnett...that shit!" And then they act like, well, it's so obvious, it doesn't need explanation.
It's like they're disappointed in every new thing he does.
What am I missing here? I mean, c'mon, this guys not finished winning Grammys.

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 pm

Hey Hey!

They MUST mean the "recording booth" was the control room...

I'm listening to this right now and I'm finding it true to its claims. These really are good songs and well played. The one mic thing is just astounding. Carefully arranged, indeed!

I searched for some session pics, though, and the only ones I've found clearly show other mics besides the 44. What's that about?

http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2010/aug/ ... n-the-sun/

Archmart