Charles Frank Black Francis Thompson

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 pm

vvv wrote: Honeycomb is great, and Fast Man Raider Man a continuation thereof!
Thanks Vlayman, that's coming up next!

" work on another solo album, which eventually coalesced into the brilliant Southern
Roots Rock opus, Honeycomb, released in 2005 to wide critical acclaim.

Less than a year later, he released Fast Man Raider Man, which started with four songs held
over from the Honeycomb sessions that he'd recorded with a pack of legendary Memphis
studio musicians such as Steve Cropper.

"Those four songs were left over because we were trying to make Honeycomb nice and lean,
and they didn't fit because they were the wrong mood and didn't sound the same," Black
says. "And since Fast Man Raider Man ended up being a big, over-bloated affair, there was no
problem just sticking 'em on there; there was plenty of room for everybody."
http://forum.frankblack.net/topic.asp?T ... hichpage=2

Image[/quote]
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 am

Also, the new collab with Paley has Spooner Oldham onnit as the keyboardist, and David Hood on the bassist (Patterson Hood cameos on shaker.)

bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Man, I gotta track some of this stuff down! Maybe I'll see if the library has anything.
New Judas Jetski EP up! andysmash.bandcamp.com

www.andysmash.com

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:22 pm

Lessee here...

They got "Cult of Ray," "Pistolero," "Fast Man Something Man," "Bluefinger," and "Honeycomb." Also "Frank Black Francis," whatever that is.

Now I'm gonna see what they got by Nick Cave.

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:57 am

The latter is alternate recordings of summa his stuff plus demos - interesting, not essential unless yer a big fan.

I'm a huge Nick Cave fan, also!

There's a certain sensibility involved ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:00 am

Dig!Lazarus!Dig! was my introduction to Nick Cave. Great album.

Both he and Frank had ministers for fathers at some point IIRC.

Edit: Nick Cave's father was not a minister. He was an English teacher. Nick attended church twice a week and sang in the choir as it was just what was done in his small Australian home town per interview..
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:30 am

Years ago (early 90's) I was inna a Goth rock band with a singer liked to chase the dragon. Like, daily and 5x on Saturday.

Anywhat, we went to see Nick and the Seeds (Chicago's The Vic) and it was so freakin' cool. He had the stage set up like a living room, and the whole experience was trippy and intimate, and deadly calm and then rockin'. At that point I had heard a cuppla things, but mostly just knew his version of Ram Jam's "Black Betty", and "The Mercy Seat".

Now I have most if not all his records (not the soundtrack stuff, yet, tho'), a cuppla DVD's, read his last book ...

Really loved the 1st Grinderman, the second not so much; there are some awesome live-in-the-studio Grinderman vids out there.

He's a original.

My kids like him, too. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah, I came in with Dig!!! as well. Totally life-changing album. I really want to find his older stuff on vinyl, but I haven't had much success so far.

Haven't heard Grinderman 2 yet. Actually, there's a ton I haven't heard yet. I tend to absorb every single note of the albums I really like, 'till they ooze out of my pores like the smell of garlic. Then I can move on to the next one.

www.andysmash.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:07 pm

Still more pixel collages.

Live at Melkweg, Amsterdam arrived today. It's a Catholics gig from early 2001. Listening to it at the moment. Sounds like they are having a good time!
Has Pixies tunes as well here. This version of "Monkey gone to heaven" has twang.

This little 3 track promo album with "I Gotta Move", a 20 minute interview with Frank,
and an under 2 minute ditty called "Humboldt County Massacre" arrived today also. I think the two carrot people to the right are girls.

And yes, this arrived today as well. Comprised of "Nadine" off of "Show Me Your Tears",
and four live tracks: Hermaphroditos, Los Angeles, Jane the Queen of love and Gouge Away.

Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:44 am

Melkweg is on my wish list.

BTW, ever hear that Pixies B-sides record? Or the purple record, just called Pixies what is demos?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 am

Yeah, I've read about those/heard snippets. Don't know that I'll get to them just yet.
I've got a few more things on the way by Frank,
but for the time being I'll probably have moved on to my next obsession :D

Judas Jetski
carpal tunnel

Post by Judas Jetski » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:14 pm

I've got a copy of that B-sides thing. It is called Pixies. It's pretty clear why it was never a regular release, but it has its' moments. The song "Build High" was the only real revelation for me.

I recently got ahold of the Monkey Gone To Heaven CD single, which has about three other songs on it that apparently aren't anywhere else.

www.andysmash.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:24 pm

I can relate! 8)

Last year I was into my Frank Black obsession, and followed by and continuing in my Mark Lanegan obsession, with Leonard Cohen somewhere in the middle.

Curiously, I have been playing the shite outta Steve Wynn (Dream Syndicate, Danny&Dusty, Miracle 3, Baseball Project, etc.) for the last cuppla years.

Previous obsessions have included Nick Cave, PJ Harvey, Ryan Adams, Paul Weller, Merle Haggard, Cash, and Richard Butler (Psych Furs, Love,Spit,Love, solo), the Timmons sibs (the bro writes all the Cowboy Junkies stuff that Margo sings) and JAMC.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:13 pm

The Cult of Ray (1996)

The Cult of Ray is the third Frank Black solo album. The title refers to Ray Bradbury.
The core musicians employed on this album would eventually be dubbed The Catholics,
and would continue as Black's backing group for the following seven years (albeit with a changed line up).
The album's final song is a tribute to Shazeb Andleeb, who was beaten to death at Narbonne High School in Harbor City, California in 1995.
-Wiki

Frank Black interviews Ray Bradbury

Austrian(!) issue of Cult of Ray bonus 4 track cd.

Last edited by shedshrine on Fri May 11, 2012 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:16 pm

Pixies Frontman Frank Black Launches Record Label

Frank's Record store

Looks like the Melkweg release was a bootleg.

Frank's gear:

http://estewartartist.blogspot.com/2009 ... ia_14.html

ImageImage

2014 rig rundown article link

Guitars:

"Thompson keeps it single-coil simple with two stock vintage Teles and two ?50s Martins?a D-28 and a D-18.
When he needs an angrier tone, he relies on the P-90 in his cherry 1963 Gibson SG Jr."

Amps:
"Both Thompson?s Teles and Martins are run through vintage Vox AC30 heads driving Vox extension cabs.
Weber MiniMASS attenuators help him keep volume at reasonable levels for smaller venues such as the Ryman."

Effects:

"As with his guitars and amps, Thompson keeps his pedalboard fairly spare. He keeps his axes in tune with a Boss TU-2, uses a Klon Centaur for overdrive, and gets some silicon-fuzz action with a 1-knob Duh pedal built by none other than Premier Guitar senior editor Joe Gore. A Boss FS-5L activates his Vox?s tremolo circuit. Thompson powers his pedals with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, and he uses a Lehle Dual SGoS to switch between his tuner and his electric and acoustic signal paths?the latter of which uses a Radial J48 active direct box."

Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.