New music video and song

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

New music video and song

Post by rockstudio » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:14 am

Here is a music video that I made for a local band. I also recorded the song at my studio.
We have a really close-knit music community here, and I liked the song so much that I wanted to do a video. I made the video (with help from my wife) using a Canon HG21, with clip-on lighting fixtures and a DIY softbox. Edited in Vegas 8.0.
I recorded their album in Nuendo 4 using a True Systems Precision 8 and Mindprint pre's.
This was my first country-ish album, and I am not the guy for this kind of music, so I think it probably sounds to clean / edgy for most modern alt-country type ears.
Anyway, check it out if you'd like.

Honey Blue "Easy To Forget"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQe4Gfxw3Q

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Great job! Definitely a beautiful song and a well done video. I do kind of the same thing, making low budget but hopefully well done videos occasionally for my music or artists around here. Always interested to see other people doing this, it came out great!
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Thank you! I wish I could do the same for all of our local bands, but it takes cooperation and drive. This band had spent a decent amount of money with me in the studio, so I was glad to be able to help them.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: New music video and song

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:22 am

Wow. Great song and performance, excellent job on the track production and the video!

I just bought a Canon Vixia HF 10. Did you do anything special to the video in Vegas? What about lighting? The reason I ask is that your video looks like it was shot on film. Very cool.

GJ

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:41 pm

Wow, thank you. I did a couple of things to keep the video looking good.
I used an LCD monitor during filming to make sure the image was lit properly.
I used some clip-on (pie pan looking) lamps with CFL bulbs to fill in shadows. Also, like I said, I made a large DIY softbox with 5 CFL fixtures inside for a key light. So I made the scenes as bright as I could, or else the camera gets really noisy in the shadows.
I shot in the highest resolution, in 24P. I converted my AVCHD footage to AVI (maintaining 24p) using Cineform's NEOSCENE. Vegas was set up for full 24p resolution and I used the Sony brightness and contrast and color corrector plugs to darken and smooth any over color. I used color corrector in the main video bus with the preset for viewing on a computer.

Thanks again!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Video

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:40 am

Hey Rock,

Was that only key light, or did you use 3-point? Great definition and contrast.

GJ

rockstudio
gettin' sounds

Post by rockstudio » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:30 pm

Was that only key light, or did you use 3-point? Great definition and contrast.

GJ
When the band was playing, there were two old tiny par (38?) cans that I jelled with light bastard amber. then I used the softbox as an overall fill, so there was really 3 lights, but they were all mainly from the same frontal direction. I forgot how to do all the real-life lighting setups. Never paid too much attention in lighting class...