Top Ten Albums All Recording Engineers Should Own

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:43 am

1. Pink Floyd / Dark Side of the Moon - How can this not top a list like this?
2. Pearl Jam / Vs. - Great guitar sounds hugging the drums and bass from each side of the stereo spectrum.
3. Iron and Wine / The Creek Drank the Cradle - Because a record like this can be made where you'd not want to hear it any other way.
4. Palace Music / Viva Last Blues - Of all of Albini's work, this one's my favorite.
5. Son Volt / Trace - Have you heard the snare sound in "Drown"?
6. Miles Davis / Kind of Blue - On no other album do I feel so much "in the room".
7. The Beach Boys / Pet Sounds - Perfectness awash in a plate reverb.
8. Radiohead / In Rainbows - The "happy middle ground" Radiohead record I've been waiting for since OK Computer, with lots of great sounds sitting right in front of you.
9. The Flaming Lips / Soft Bulletin - The "let's throw every sound we can think of at it and somehow make it work" approach.
10. Logh / A Sunset Panorama - Criminally under-appreciated band - these are the sounds I'm after when I record.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 am

cgarges wrote: Yeah, but those two records are SO different. Like, if you had to pick one of those, which one would it be and why? Or would are they both SO great that you'd knock something else off the list? If so, what?
do you know who i AM? i get to have 11 on my list.

ok, if i had to pick one, for the porpoises of this list, i think i'd go with 'end hits', as an example of how messed up you can make a record sound and still have it work.

iamthecosmos
pushin' record

Post by iamthecosmos » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:20 am

mjau wrote: 9. The Flaming Lips / Soft Bulletin - The "let's throw every sound we can think of at it and somehow make it work" approach.
I would have this even higher up the list! Dave Fridmann has such a distinctive sound. According to Jonathan Donahue it's two mics on the drums. Amazing string sounds too, which are entirely from keyboards. Steve Drozd is a genius.

nobody, really
takin' a dinner break

Post by nobody, really » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:15 pm

my remaining allotment of five:

i will have to agree with 'end hits'. both that album and slint's 'spiderland' were the first albums that made me sit up and think about recording. especially 'spiderland'. that was the first album that made me notice a "snare sound". i think that subconsciously, i use spiderland as a benchmark every time i record.

flying saucer attack- futher: what i love about diy home recording.... incredibly neat, unique stuff like this. the vibe of a place and time.

the cheiftan's- santiago: an amazing band, recording on location in some amazing places around europe. i'm incredibly jealous of whoever engineered this. the live track recorded at a pub in spain gives me chills.

marvin gaye- what's going on: ahhh, i don't know what to say about this one. it's just one of those 'ear candy' albums. plus, you gotta save the babies.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:52 pm

iamthecosmos wrote:
mjau wrote: 9. The Flaming Lips / Soft Bulletin - The "let's throw every sound we can think of at it and somehow make it work" approach.
I would have this even higher up the list! Dave Fridmann has such a distinctive sound. According to Jonathan Donahue it's two mics on the drums. Amazing string sounds too, which are entirely from keyboards. Steve Drozd is a genius.
Yeah, no doubt it's awesome, and Steven Drozd is, indeed, a total genius. I should note that my list isn't in order.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:27 pm

THE MORE OBSCURE:

The Grifters, Full Blown Possession: Some of my fave ex-lo-fi psychadelica ever. Seriously, this production twists my head and makes me flashback to every surprisingly great first listen guitar-rock band ever, every time. Mixed by Nick Sasano.

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju Ju Hounds: Eddy Ashworth is a unknown genius on guitar anyway, but this is my fave example of big-budget garage rock.

Frank Black & the Catholics: Because it's mixed live to two track (Billy Joe Bowers), and it's damn near perfect like all them old jazz records, but it's Frank Black, and so it rocks.

The Bottle Rockets, 24 Hours a Day: Produced by Eric Ambel, it is a lesson, I think, in clarity (musicianship, arrangement, EQ, mixing, sequencing), and how that can benefit even a alt.country thing.

Dinosaur, Jr., Where You Been: Produced by John Agnello, there is a reason why this 70's throw-back guitarist (who I am sure says lots about the mixes) became popular in the grunge era; these are some of my fave guitar and vocal sounds ever, and yes, Dorothy, they have great amps and such, but it's about the mix, and no one will ever argue Mascis can really sing. (BTW, the last two Dino records, especially beyond, update the approach to no detriment.)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:04 pm

vvv wrote:The Bottle Rockets, 24 Hours a Day: Produced by Eric Ambel, it is a lesson, I think, in clarity (musicianship, arrangement, EQ, mixing, sequencing), and how that can benefit even a alt.country thing.
I'll be sure to point this out to him. I'm working with him this weekend. He's really, really good at making sensible arrangement suggestions that make a BIG difference, but he doesn't get hung up on really small details.

Speaking of Fugazi, Don Zientara is the same way. He's really good at knudging the players in a certain direction without being the least bit bossy or overbearing. In fact, a lot of times, Don manages to make you think that whatever made this big difference was your own idea, even when it was clearly his.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:24 pm

cgarges wrote:
vvv wrote:The Bottle Rockets, 24 Hours a Day: Produced by Eric Ambel, it is a lesson, I think, in clarity (musicianship, arrangement, EQ, mixing, sequencing), and how that can benefit even a alt.country thing.
I'll be sure to point this out to him. I'm working with him this weekend. He's really, really good at making sensible arrangement suggestions that make a BIG difference, but he doesn't get hung up on really small details.

Speaking of Fugazi, Don Zientara is the same way. He's really good at knudging the players in a certain direction without being the least bit bossy or overbearing. In fact, a lot of times, Don manages to make you think that whatever made this big difference was your own idea, even when it was clearly his.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Thanks to both of you.
Great time at Garges studio this weekend.

E/Roscoe

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:55 am

I should point out that I'm not a blues aficionado, and maybe there are a lot of blues albums that sound this way, but DAMN! I just had a couple listens to Hubert Sumlin's 'About Those Shoes', produced by Rob Fraboni, and this is as good an example as I can think of for setting up a VIBE that fits the music to a T yet doesn't get in the way.

engelen62
audio school

Post by engelen62 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:54 am

Im stunned and sad that this record has not been mentioned:

Let It Bleed, Rolling Stones.
Inge Engelen
dreamlab studio
NORWAY
ingee.no

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:52 am

Clash - London Calling. It's probably my favorite record of all time. So many styles, so much energy, and just amazing arrangements. I think it stands up so well today because it doesn't have a bunch of stupid effects on it.

Umm...that's all I can think of right now!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:55 am

Oh, wait! I still think the self titled Modern Lovers CD sounds fresh and relevant.

David Bowie - Pin Ups. Some of my favorite drum sounds.

Spiritualized - Ladies & Gentlemen We're Floating in Space. As far as overblown production goes, I think it's tasteful. I probably feel the way about this album that a lot of people feel about Soft Bulletin. There's lots of shit going on!
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:35 am

engelen62 wrote:Im stunned and sad that this record has not been mentioned:

Let It Bleed, Rolling Stones.
Ha!

I went with Beggars Banquet rather than .. Bleed, because for the acoustic guitar use and choir it is jes' a little more innovative, butt yeah.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:12 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:. i think this record is an even greater achievement for mutt lange than 'back in black'.
uh yeah um...listening to back in black right now. i might be rethinking this.

jesus. knowing that this is all pretty much the basic tracks live off the floor is just...jesus. i recorded a drum kit, a bass, two guitars and a vocal yesterday and did a nice job but it sure doesn't sound like THIS.

and, i mean, PHIL RUDD.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

mjau wrote:
iamthecosmos wrote:
Yeah, no doubt it's awesome, and Steven Drozd is, indeed, a total genius. I should note that my list isn't in order.
Mogwai - Come On Die Young, and The Delgados - The Great Eastern are two lesser-known Fridmann-produced records that are worth noting as well. The Great Eastern, in particular, probably falls into the "Best Albums You've Never Heard" category.