New Mix fixed link

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

sears
steve albini likes it

New Mix fixed link

Post by sears » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:52 pm

I've already played this for my dad (who's on his second Avalon). Most of my tracks, I only play them for him and a couple of other people. Since his suggestions -- aside from one, which would mean re-recording -- are simple and I can do them easily, I thought I'd see if anyone had any tips.

If you think I should re-record it, maybe I will! I'm stuck in lo fi land, no matter how I try, so bear with me. It's a 16-bit wav. I did everything, except for that little slice of field recording halfway through, and I don't know who that is anymore.

http://soundcloud.com/searsy/ds710073a/s-bDgXa
Last edited by sears on Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:48 am

It's an Akai DPS16 and I'm recording through a Hamptone preamp. The drum samples are homemade: kick, toms and cymbals are from a guy from Florida whom I met here. The violins, overdriven guitar and vocals are through a homemade ribbon. So, you see, without this BBS this recording wouldn't be the same at all. Thanks.

This is also my first decent mix in my own room in the basement, with treatment, using NS10s so I'm curious whether it translates.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:40 pm

I like the song.

"Teh" mix... not so much. But don't be discouraged. It takes time to learn how to mix it the way you want it to sound.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Sat Feb 26, 2011 8:35 pm

That really means a lot coming from you. It's the best mix I've ever done. lol. I never know how I want it to sound. I appreciate your feedback.