Saw John Vanderslice last night

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Saw John Vanderslice last night

Post by alex matson » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:32 pm

My girlfriend and I took in his show last night at the Doug Fir - our first time seeing him. As we were sitting on the sidelines, we could only see John from the chest up and a little bit of Jason Slota, the drummer's, head. By the second tune I was pretty sure I was hearing a Moog. Gradually we figured out that Jason was often pulling double duty, playing keyboards while drumming with his feet and left hand and doing a fine job at it.
John sometimes played keys as well, but just as often was manipulating his electric guitar tone with some kind of rack mounted device in between phrases. It added a lot to the sound. There were a few guests as well - JV's website states that April is 'audience participation month' and even lists specific parts for songs he'd like covered - but for me the highlight was seeing Larry Crane join in on bass. I've never seen him in person before, so I had to go right up near the stage and watch.
A time was had! JV seems like an affable guy, and the show was quite inspiring.
I said to my girlfriend on the walk out," If it weren't for Larry Crane you and I probably wouldn't have met." Strange to think that someone you've never personally interacted with could have such an effect on your life.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 pm

John is a great guy and a super talented artist.

palinilap
buyin' gear

Post by palinilap » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:49 pm

I'm seeing John and Damien Jurado May 7th!

They're playing at the local punk rock/dive bar. Can't wait!

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Sat May 07, 2011 1:14 am

i saw john vanderslice play at sxsw at mellow johnny's bike shop. this show ---> http://youtu.be/_VKpMDxhGQY
pretty cool raw performance of the song, besides the obvious fuck ups here and there.... hey, it's live music.

depthofield
studio intern

Post by depthofield » Sun May 15, 2011 12:15 pm

Can't wait to see this show in Nashville this coming Friday - I'll be playing a kalimba solo on "Exodus Damage"!

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Tue May 17, 2011 12:00 pm

I'm bummed I missed this show - never have seen John play live, and it's been ages since I've seen Larry rock the bass!

Just stumbled across this today, though it's from a few years back - Merlin Mann doing a long interview with John in three parts, totaling about 50 minutes:

http://www.themerlinshow.com/ep/004-int ... anderslice

cheers,
Leigh