10 bands that made their best music after they sold out.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

10 bands that made their best music after they sold out.

Post by fossiltooth » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:18 pm

10 bands that made their best music after they sold out

http://bit.ly/gANaCu

discuss!

Mark
tinnitus

Post by Mark » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:17 am

The first time I tried to load the page with The Decemberists on I got a Guru Meditation error message. :lol:

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:54 am

I sort of agree about Sonic Youth. I wasn't aware Of Montreal and the Decemberists had sold out.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:16 am

bedbug wrote:I sort of agree about Sonic Youth. I wasn't aware Of Montreal and the Decemberists had sold out.
Of Montreal have provided theme music to an Outback Steakhouse commercial, and I'm pretty sure the Decemberists have been on Capitol records for a while now.

I'd say that fits a good working definition for the sake of this article. Did you read it? I thought they laid out some pretty clear, strong examples. A fun read.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:57 am

If your definition of "selling out" is not clearly defined at the beginning of your article, and in fact seems to shift over the course of the article, your list of bands that "made their best music after they sold out" is not going to be particularly compelling.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:59 am

How about bands/artists that started producing dreck after finally gaining "creative freedom"?

bedbug
buyin' a studio

Post by bedbug » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:09 am

fossiltooth wrote:Did you read it?
Negatory

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:48 am

dwlb wrote:If your definition of "selling out" is not clearly defined at the beginning of your article, and in fact seems to shift over the course of the article, your list of bands that "made their best music after they sold out" is not going to be particularly compelling.
Hi. It's not my article. I just thought it was amusing. Still do. True, the authors didn't specifically "selling out" in the intro. Instead, they made an individual case for each band they discussed. In each case it's pretty standard fare, like "stalwart indie that signed to a Major label" or "had their music in an Outback Steakhouse commercial".

I don't think the tone of the piece defines "selling out" as negative. If anything, I believe their article was trying to encourage open-mindedness. Guess they didn't do so good!
bedbug wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:Did you read it?
Negatory
:wink:
Scodiddly wrote:How about bands/artists that started producing dreck after finally gaining "creative freedom"?
I'd read that too. Got any nominations?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:33 pm

fossiltooth wrote:
dwlb wrote:If your definition of "selling out" is not clearly defined at the beginning of your article, and in fact seems to shift over the course of the article, your list of bands that "made their best music after they sold out" is not going to be particularly compelling.
Hi. It's not my article. I just thought it was amusing. Still do. True, the authors didn't specifically "selling out" in the intro. Instead, they made an individual case for each band they discussed. In each case it's pretty standard fare, like "stalwart indie that signed to a Major label" or "had their music in an Outback Steakhouse commercial".

I don't think the tone of the piece defines "selling out" as negative. If anything, I believe their article was trying to encourage open-mindedness. Guess they didn't do so good!
I know it wasn't your article. My comment wasn't aimed at you. Apologies for the confusion. Making individual definitions of "selling out" for each item in the list --in my opinion-- weakens the thrust of the article.

Also: I don't know that Blondie doing a disco track is "selling out," especially when they've gone on record as saying the bar of 3/4 in the instrumental section was put there so that people on the dance floor would trip over their feet! :wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

lapsteel
pushin' record

Post by lapsteel » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:54 am

Is it really selling out when you need to make money?

Somehow Radiohead sold out with their first album. Which at the time was the sound of Radiohead.

By their logic Bob Dylan should be on the list for writing Like A Rolling Stone since it was the first time he got interested in writing something for the charts.