FOO FIGHTERS = WASTING LIGHT

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

FOO FIGHTERS = WASTING LIGHT

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:06 pm

Nice job Butch Vig!!!
This actually has some dynamic range, and things that are HARD PANNED.
Just for that, I like it.

The things I do not like about it :
Sounds too "digital", edgy... and 2 dimensional. But it is the style of music, everything loud.
Vocals get buried at times. At least for my tastes, and I know I love a LOUD vocal...

Discuss...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve

Re: FOO FIGHTERS = WASTING LIGHT

Post by No Wave Casio Kitsch » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:08 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:The things I do not like about it :
Sounds too "digital"
That's funny considering how much hype there has been regarding this being tracked at home on an API to 2".

I listened to the entire album one time. I thought it sounded decent. I didn't listen that intently but it sounded like they may have stuck L-C-R when mixing. The songs themselves are nothing to write home about.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:00 pm

I listened to it once earlier at low volume, it was aiight.

I listened to it 2night cranked on my big home stereo - excellent!

Both sessions I was doing other stuff (cooking, actually) and so have not given it a detailed listen, but I'm liking what I heard.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:03 pm

I happened to buy the limited edition or whatever with the scrap of 2" tape in it. supposedly the "masters" all cut up by Dave. Not sure I believe that, but good publicity stunt maybe... 8)

I haven't really A/b'd it with another Foo album but I can't say I hear any huge difference with them recording at Dave's house and using tape vs. another digitally recorded CD of theirs - it still sounds like the Foo Fighters to me.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:41 am

i think i agree the vocals are sometimes low, but not so much that i would blame it on anything but taste.

besides that i think the sounds and mix are stellar! i love how many different guitar tones they get, and all of them sound great. and probably my favorite drum set sound from any Foo Fighters album.

i like the closer sounding space, there was too much reverb for me on "in your honor". i think "echoes, silence..." sounded better, but not as good as this one. i'm really into it!
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed May 04, 2011 7:53 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:This actually has some dynamic range
Really? Where?
Sounds too "digital", edgy... and 2 dimensional. But it is the style of music, everything loud.
Agreed. I heard it and my initial thought was, "This is tape?" It doesn't sound anything at all like they took advantage of anything that they're making a big deal about. It very well could have been done on a Mix Plus setup or ADATs and mastered by one of the normal loud guys. Nothing at all special about the whay this record sounds or feels to me. And I wanted to like it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 am

cgarges wrote:
Nick Sevilla wrote:This actually has some dynamic range
Really? Where?
Agreed. I heard it and my initial thought was, "This is tape?" It doesn't sound anything at all like they took advantage of anything that they're making a big deal about. It very well could have been done on a Mix Plus setup or ADATs and mastered by one of the normal loud guys. Nothing at all special about the whay this record sounds or feels to me. And I wanted to like it.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I listened to the CD.. not a download... and when you play it nice and loud, as they recommend, you do get to hear dynamic difference between sections, and even within some sections of the songs.
If you're listening at low or moderate levels, it might seem to be all one volume.

Cheers

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 9:51 am

I dno't know. I listened to it from a CD pretty loud at the studio and it didn't really breathe at all. In fact, without doing a side-by-side comparison, it pretty much sounded like every other Foo Fighters record I've ever heard, which to me sound like most boring modern commercial recordings.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri May 06, 2011 9:28 pm

cgarges wrote:I dno't know. I listened to it from a CD pretty loud at the studio and it didn't really breathe at all. In fact, without doing a side-by-side comparison, it pretty much sounded like every other Foo Fighters record I've ever heard, which to me sound like most boring modern commercial recordings.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Hmmmm, well it moved my hair differently in different sections, so that is what I was calling dynamic range.

Maybe it was the wind...

Bender83
audio school

Post by Bender83 » Tue May 17, 2011 1:29 pm

In general, I agree that the Foo Fighters (most of the time) sound like boring, modern commercial rock. They have their moments, but I'd much rather listen to Dave's other projects. With all that said (and huge grain of salt), I state the following. I think the album sounds really good LOUD and on a GREAT system. I think that is a really really bad way to make an album. Throw whatever you wish, but people don't listen to albums loudly on their stereos anymore. Even making it sound good in a car is getting a little outdated. This stuff had to sound good on your average headphones.
"I just saw metal as another tool for me to use..."

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue May 17, 2011 3:40 pm

If it's of any interest to you guys I did an interview last month with James Brown, the guy who helped engineer a lot of that stuff and build-out their studio. It made for a pretty good read. Link is here if you're curious: http://bit.ly/iZezjZ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 18, 2011 11:11 am

Nice interview, ft.! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Professor T
pushin' record

Post by Professor T » Wed May 18, 2011 11:54 am

I thought it sounded like:
Rush's Test For Echo
Joe Satriani's Time Machine

I listened to it about 3 times and don't really have any need to play it again.

The documentary movie was pretty cool though, even if it was just a big commercial.