Bunky Moon

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

cgarges
zen recordist

Bunky Moon

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 10:26 am

Hey all!

I've got this new intrumental prog rock band and we're putting a record out on May 17th. The band is called Bunky Moon and we do a collection of originals and arrangements of some popular rock tunes. I don't usually post stuff in this forum because I'm usually working on stuff for other people, but since this is a band I'm in, I figured "why not?"

The album was recorded in probably five or six short days over a period of a few months and it's mostly live takes with a few overdubs here and there. I asked Mitch Easter to mix it so that I just wouldn't have to worry about it and I think he did a stellar job. Scott Craggs did a terrific job on the mastering and I'm really happy with how it came out.

You can get information on the band and check out a few songs at www.reverbnation.com/bunkymoon (our official website) and you can hear better-sounding audio clips of the same songs at http://bunkymoon.bandcamp.com (God bless BandCamp).

Hope you enjoy it!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 10:42 am

i'm biased but this record is really super great. some terrific playing, and the sounds...THE SOUNDS! they are crazy. between garges' tracking a bunch of wacky distorted mics, and mitch easter's shall we say rather mirthful approach to mixing....when i was mastering this i was constantly thinking my whole chain and/or my speakers were broken. which, obviously, is the sign of a quality record.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 am

Hey, it works for the Flaming Lips (who are incidentally playing in Charlotte the same night as our CD Release Party).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 10:47 am

Thanks for the kind words, by the way.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 11:05 am

you are most welcome. and i was saying the other day, it DOESN'T work for the flaming lips, cause i just turn those records off immediately. i realize i'm in the minority here...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 11:07 am

Hey, did you see the Pedal Blog interview? Props to you in there.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 11:34 am

i did see it. was disappointed you didn't devote a whole paragraph to me, but it's cool man, it's cool.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 1:23 pm

I'm working on the entire website devoted to your coolness. www.scottcraggsisoneofthecoolestguysiknow.com

It's not up, yet, though.

CG

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 06, 2011 2:02 pm

Listening now. So far, completely awesome. Love the vibe on "Maybe I'm Amazed."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 2:07 pm

Thanks, Joe. If you like "Maybe I'm Amazed," there's probably some other stuff on ther record you'll dig. I'm really happy with how "Space Oddity" turned out. We'll be doing a 24-hour-only preview of another song on reverbnation tomorrow (Saturday).

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri May 06, 2011 2:11 pm

Cool!
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 2:31 pm

We're also on facebook. There are session photos there, too.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

IIRC 'maybe i'm amazed' wasn't going to be on the record, but it was so badass it just had to be included. and i'm glad it was!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Glad someone intervened, I was going to make a joke about you guys getting a room...

But in all seriousness, VERY cool. I don't know how you got the Pistols, Scofield-esque backbeat jazz, the Beatles, Terje Rypdal, early Weather Report, and the Everyman Band on the same record with Eno, but what a great combination it is.

A very 20th century question, but will it be available on hard-copy (CD)?

GJ

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri May 06, 2011 3:49 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:IIRC 'maybe i'm amazed' wasn't going to be on the record, but it was so badass it just had to be included. and i'm glad it was!
Yes. The mastering guy was pretty adamant about us including it, so we did it.
Gregg Juke wrote:Glad someone intervened, I was going to make a joke about you guys getting a room...

But in all seriousness, VERY cool. I don't know how you got the Pistols, Scofield-esque backbeat jazz, the Beatles, Terje Rypdal, early Weather Report, and the Everyman Band on the same record with Eno, but what a great combination it is.
Thanks! That's quite a compliment. Wait until you hear the rest of the record.
Gregg Juke wrote:A very 20th century question, but will it be available on hard-copy (CD)?
Yes. We have CDs on hand and they will be available from the normal retail outlets, along with downloads on May 17th. Shawn Lynch (the bass player in Mitch's band) did the artwork and it looks great.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC