mid-fi DIY punk recording on Tascam 388, need some feedback

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

dustypants
audio school graduate

mid-fi DIY punk recording on Tascam 388, need some feedback

Post by dustypants » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:38 am

Hi!
I'm a long time tapeop lurker/subscriber that's used this board and the mag for years to help with my home recordings, but now i'm going to jump in the fire and ask for some feedback.

It used to be that I recorded my bands because no one else would and we had no money, but now I really enjoy it and have "invested" in a small amount of outboard gear and a very handy tascam 388. I know there are a lot of opinions on this machine here on the board but I'm looking for some feedback on the recording quality.

The goal after final mix down from the 388 to 2 track 1/4" is to have it mastered and released.

Here is a test mix I made, details are on the link.
http://soundcloud.com/dustypants/franke ... tascam-388

we are a very 70s punk influenced party/skate/punk band. Very loose, fun, fast, and a bit in your face. Going for that kind of a vibe but a bit more blown out and raw sounding than your typical 70s punk record.

Thanks in advance, this is pretty much a direct effort from reading and combing Tape Op and figuring it out as I go...
Last edited by dustypants on Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:38 am

Sounds good.

I would keep mixing however you are doing it now.

Two notes:

MORE VOCAL.

MORE BASS.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dustypants
audio school graduate

Post by dustypants » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:16 am

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Does the bass sound too thin? Its only DI but I tried my best to get a good, full DI sound. I'd really like to re-amp it because live I play thru a fulltone bass drive with the overdrive dimed out and thats not the case with only DI... to my ears it's just too clean!

I've been having problems re-amping on the 388 and just read that it might be because i'm pushing the reamp track too close to the DI track. I have one more track open on the board that's further away so I'll give that a go with fresh ears this week.

I'm also wondering if I should add a bit of reverb or echo to the vocals.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:11 pm

I dig it

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:54 pm

Awesome! Recording sounds sweet. Vocals are fine. Nice and even with the mix like a punk record should be. The only thing I would recommend is turning up the kick drum. I can't really hear it at all. It's consistently low on all the tracks. It's still totally fine, but it could sound cool with it louder.

Reminds me of two awesome bands. Big Boys & The Kids.

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:56 pm

dustypants wrote:Thanks, I appreciate it.

Does the bass sound too thin? Its only DI but I tried my best to get a good, full DI sound. I'd really like to re-amp it because live I play thru a fulltone bass drive with the overdrive dimed out and thats not the case with only DI... to my ears it's just too clean!

I've been having problems re-amping on the 388 and just read that it might be because i'm pushing the reamp track too close to the DI track. I have one more track open on the board that's further away so I'll give that a go with fresh ears this week.

I'm also wondering if I should add a bit of reverb or echo to the vocals.
You should leave the vocals dry I think it fits the vocal style perfectly!

dustypants
audio school graduate

Post by dustypants » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:12 am

Thanks for the feeback!

I've got to mix all 10 songs probably this week or next. Once I have another one mixed I'll post it up here. I'll probably mix one of our more aggressive, less party-vibe songs next to see how they stand up together.

Thanks again, I've really learned so much just from reading this board and trying/applying!!

Trick Fall
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Trick Fall » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:34 pm

I totally enjoyed it. That's my kind of punk.

Corey Y
re-cappin' neve

Post by Corey Y » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:48 am

This sounds pretty good, I think the production suits the songs. I've certainly bought similar style punk records that sounded equal or lesser in production value. Could probably be polished up a little, I'd like to hear the bass a little more clearly in the mix. Seems like you're on the right track. Good song too by the way.

dustypants
audio school graduate

Post by dustypants » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Thanks again for all the feedback, it's been most helpful!!

I've made a second mix of the song in question based on the suggestions here, and i think its much better this time around.

I've also made a mix of one of our more aggressive, straight ahead punk songs to contrast and compare. Our sound peppers both nasty in your face punk with laid back party vibe numbers too so I really want to hear how they stand up against each other.

anyway, i guess it's time to put up or shut up! Link contains all 3 mixes, you can play them back to back... if you like punk rock. :)
http://soundcloud.com/frankensteinlivs

dustypants
audio school graduate

Post by dustypants » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for all the feedback! I've learned a lot on this recording from TOMB so I can't thank this board/mag enough.

Here's the final mix and master (everything recorded and mixed on the 388 down to a tascam 22-2, then mastered by a good, out of town friend in Protools)

I'm pretty pleased with the results for a fully DIY punk recording!
http://soundcloud.com/frankensteinlivs/sets

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:30 pm

Yeah! I like this.
Good sound.
I haven't touch my 388 in a couple months.Gotta get back at it for sure.