all analog - glyn johns 'sphere' variation + more

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

themagicmanmdt
george martin

all analog - glyn johns 'sphere' variation + more

Post by themagicmanmdt » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:58 am

a variation of glyn johns sphere in action:

http://danpatrevito.com/projects.html

"Monday Morning Revisited"

not sure why Dan put 'mono' next to it. the upcoming LP, 'prayer for new orleans' is the one that's in mono.

if I remember correctly, it was a darker shure 535 (?) omni dynamic somewhat over the rack tom pointing towards the snare, a B&O ribbon slightly overhead of the ride but closer to the floor tom, measuring the drummer's knee as the center point. kick mic was most probably a LDC tube mic, a modded karma k58, about a foot back with a pop filter on it and some high end EQ shaved off.

so, in short, by going omni and figure 8 and readjusting the 'center point' that i was measuring, as well as listening and getting a good kit balance with mic direction, placement and polar patterns, it's an exciting stereo spread that gives the right amount of space for the rhodes to boogie.

i felt the floor tom is especially exciting. all hail ribbons and floor toms!

other tracks on that site are all applicable. we kept all tracks completely analog (never touching digital or any digital effects, etc) and even had an analog 1/2 speed vinyl cut of the 'debut' record by Stan Ricker (of mobile fidelity sound lab, the infamous 'original master recording' LP's). sound friggin' damn close to the master tapes, better than any 24/96k rip that I did of the tapes as far as 3D imaging and deep bass is concerned.

"Surreel" is, yes, all analog, 8 track, and is one continuous live mix. Took me a few days to get it right, but I nailed it. Cosmic.

for the mono track - for 'upcoming LP', 'Prayer For New Orleans' feels like a Clapton-meets-Creedence deep groove at first and then gets HEAVY about three minutes in. True mono, all analog. Drums were mono overhead with a B&O ribbon, blended with a Beyer m260 under snare and something that I don't recall on kick. Possibly a EV664, possibly a D12e, possibly a LDC. I know that helps a lot :/

the tape machine used is a personally restored Scully 1" 8 track.

hope you like!
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Tue Aug 16, 2011 11:48 am

Whoa sounds awesome! What's that instrument providing the bass? The Rhodes with tremolo effect or something? Sounds really cool.,
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

kinger
steve albini likes it

Post by kinger » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:23 am

That sounds great!

jhharvest
steve albini likes it

Post by jhharvest » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:36 am

I like the kick and the cymbals but the snare feels a bit disembodied. I feel it has something to do with the panning - like it travels centre to slightly left during the hit.

E-Rock
pushin' record

Post by E-Rock » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:02 am

Awesome! Well done!