Ripping music from CD: some advice needed

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

trobot23
audio school

Ripping music from CD: some advice needed

Post by trobot23 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:35 am

Hi,

I am a fan of tape op even though I am only a "dabbler" with home recording. It's always a good read.

My question revolves around the fact that I need to make some room by getting rid of some of my seemingly infinite CD collection. The kind of CDs that I'm not going to look at the liners in a hurry: horrible old jewel cases with grey plastic backs not the Bootleg Series with lavish booklet if you get my drift.

So I want to rip them to my iTunes. Can anyone tell the difference between 320kbps mp3/AAC and WAV? I work with iTunes and pods and pads so FLAC isn't an option. I can certainly tell the difference between 128 and WAV on my home system and I like to kid myself I can tell the difference between 320 and 1411! But maybe that's psychological!

What would you do? Rip to 320 and save hard drive / ipod space or go for the full 1411 on everything?

Thanks,

Owen

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:41 pm

I would just pull them all in as waves. Hard drives aren't that expensive these days. You can get a terabyte for around $100.

I'm almost sure that itunes now supports flac and that they can play on ipod/pad as well.
You could also batch convert your wave files to Flac down the road should you choose to go that route. 320 kbps isn't so bad, but you would will still be experiencing data compression and a high frequency cut of 18Kish.

trobot23
audio school

Post by trobot23 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Thanks,

I think I will go down the WAV route and get a bigger hard drive.

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:52 am

Waltz Mastering wrote:I would just pull them all in as waves. Hard drives aren't that expensive these days. You can get a terabyte for around $100.

I'm almost sure that itunes now supports flac and that they can play on ipod/pad as well.You could also batch convert your wave files to Flac down the road should you choose to go that route. 320 kbps isn't so bad, but you would will still be experiencing data compression and a high frequency cut of 18Kish.
When did iTunes start supprting FLAC?

To the OP, if you are using a Mac, just convert to Apple Lossless. It'll play on your pods/pads.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:31 am

Hallogallo wrote:When did iTunes start supprting FLAC?
Well, officially it doesn't, but it can be done easily. You have to trick itunes into thinking it's an quicktime movie file.
http://www.macworld.com/article/142096/ ... tunes.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ok3DtDrNU

jzombie
ass engineer

Post by jzombie » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:58 am

Hallogallo wrote:
To the OP, if you are using a Mac, just convert to Apple Lossless. It'll play on your pods/pads.
This.

Cyan421
takin' a dinner break

Post by Cyan421 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:56 pm

I swear apple lossless used to make the files bigger than wave....

Has that been fixed or am I just crazy....
"What a wonerful smell you've discovered"

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:00 pm

Cyan421 wrote:I swear apple lossless used to make the files bigger than wave....

A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B'.

Seriously I've never noticed, or looked at, that before. Even if it was bigger, I would still use AL as you cannot assign cover pics to wavs.

Hallogallo
audio school graduate

Post by Hallogallo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:01 pm

Waltz Mastering wrote:
Hallogallo wrote:When did iTunes start supprting FLAC?
Well, officially it doesn't, but it can be done easily. You have to trick itunes into thinking it's an quicktime movie file.
http://www.macworld.com/article/142096/ ... tunes.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ok3DtDrNU
I remember trying that at one time and couldn't get it to work, so I went with Apple Lossless.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Hallogallo wrote:
Cyan421 wrote:I swear apple lossless used to make the files bigger than wave....

A little from column 'A', a little from column 'B'.
Ya you don't save much room. If you import a 40 meg wav. it comes in at 30 meg Apple lossless.