Critique please: indie rock, recorded & mixed w/ TASCAM

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Critique please: indie rock, recorded & mixed w/ TASCAM

Post by austingreen » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:33 pm

Hello TOMB,
We recorded this ourselves on a TASCAM 388, with minimal mics, no pre's (not on purpose, just didn't own any yet!), mixed down to stereo via Digi003. Please let us know what you think of the mix and overall sound of the recording.

http://dinners.bandcamp.com/

Feedback will be much appreciated and taken to heart and mind!

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:47 pm

it sounds more hi fi than most GBV tracks, so i think you are pretty much there. nice loud guitars, nice veiled vocals.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:11 am

sounds good man, great job

1grex
pluggin' in mics

Post by 1grex » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:04 pm

a bit harsh to my ears

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:06 am

I like the concept, the approach, the guitars, and even the lo-fi vocal sound. I'm sure there's probably some bass in there somewhere(?).

But DIY/Indie/Garage/Alternative/Punk/Lo-Fi/Grunge/Guided-by-Guided-By-Voices-whatever, I really like to hear some strength and definition from the drums. The drum track(s) here are so garage-y that they sound like a cassette recording from an actual garage. That (and defining the bass?) is one thing that I'd change if I was recording/mixing this project-- a little definition and dimension to the kick and snare, at least.

Other than that, very cool.

GJ

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:58 am

1grex wrote:a bit harsh to my ears
Please elaborate, not taking offense in any way, in alot of ways I agree, but would love a little more specifics as to what's bothering you, to much highs/presence on gtr or vox? the dirty vox? the lack of sense of space in any part of the EQ spectrum?? these are just some guesses as to what's bothering you. Please help!

We're having problems with the mixes not translating to other systems other than the Adam A7's we're mixing on. We had the bass sounding good to us then on every other system the bass was way too loud so we tried to compensate and maybe over did it and now there's a lack of bass on our newer mixes.

Thanks to everyone for the comments, negative or positive they really help and I'm taking them into serious consideration. I would like to post more songs and mixes but I seem to have trouble inspiring comments either way. I'm wondering if it's a combination of a few things:
1. Songs or Overall Sound not people's cup of tea,
2. Recorded decent enough not to point out obvious newbie mistakes, but...
3. Not recorded so well that its inspiring alot of "sounds great, keep at it".

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey Austin,

I don't know; you had four different comments from four different people. That's pretty good around here (a lot of busy folks).

On your translation problems, you should have a few different sets of speakers, a good set of headphones, and a boombox and car stereo handy when you get into mix-down mode.

Also, you may want to look at your room/mixing space, the dimensions, how you have the control set-up/monitors oriented, and whether or not you have enough (or any) room treatment, including bass trapping if necessary. All of these things can add-up to "false readings" on your mixes, which will then cause translation issues.

I think you've got some cool songs. I'd like to hear more definition from the rhythm section (as posted). I like crisp, clean vocals, but I like distortion, cool effects, and musical/oral subterfuge as much as the next guy, so it's all good... keep up the good work!

If you think my, or anyone else's critiques have any validity for you, you may want to post more specific information on how you recorded the tracks (mikes, distance, board, techniques used, effects, etc.), so that any suggestions people might have would be grounded in factual information.

GJ