music for adults that doesn't suck?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:14 pm

;ivlunsdystf wrote:if you haven't put yourself through a richard thompson phase yet, he has had a pretty good run of it over dozens of albums. he takes a bit of getting used to but the effort is absolutely worthwhile. you can go all the way back to fairport convention and then follow him up to the present day. he's still going strong.

he is 239856238765x better than wilco btw \
I suppose if I can learn to tolerate Tweedy's voice, I can learn to tolerate Thompson's...though it hasn't happened yet.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:49 pm

Bro Shark wrote:Yay, we're talking extreme metal. Give these a go?

Meshuggah: Catch 33
Deathspell Omega: Fas ? Ite, Maledicti, in Ignem Aeternum

Both broke HUGE new ground in my opinion. Total mindfucks.
Agreed. i love these albums!
dfuruta wrote:While we're at it, Blut Aus Nord - MORT is a microtonal (xenharmonic? not sure what system, if any, they're using) through-composed masterpiece.
Yes! Another amazing band.

\m/ :twisted: \m/

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:53 pm

ubertar wrote:I didn't say Wilco aren't "adult" music, just that personally I find them kind of boring. "Middle-aged rock" is a very good description of what they do.
Agreed. I'm glad I don't feel alone on that.

I love Nels Clines other albums though. Anything with the Nels Cline Singers is awesome. Destrol All Nes Cline, and Interstellar Space (it's a cover/tribute of the John Coltrane album) are all really great. He puts out so much its hard to keep up.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:53 pm

If you get the chance, pick up the Richard Thompson DVD, Live from Austin - amazing performance, (despite broken strings); another would be Leonard Cohen's Live in London DVD.

Neither is a great singer (although Thompson is a virtuoso player); both are mature musicians writing and performing wonderfully adult music.

Ian Hunter and Paul Simon also come to mind, altho' the former's lyrics are the best part, and I've not heard the latter's latest .
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:49 pm

I hope I'm not too off but besides thinking to mention Peter Gabriel, the last Iggy solo record is quite interesting.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm

New Tom Waits, new David Lynch, new Booker T, new Thurston Moore, new Tony Bennett, new Dennis Coffey, new Feelies, new Kate Bush, new Bjork... Should I keep going?

All of these artists are definitely of adult age, have tons of adult fans, and it would be hard to consider most of them "MOR" (Tony Bennett excluded, of course!). And these are just the fairly mainstream pop artists who are over 40, and had a release in the past few months, who I could think of the top of my head in under 20 seconds.

If you're really ready for it, and not looking so hard you scare it away, a good record will find you. That's how it works for me, anyway! And this is coming from a guy who doesn't really care for most of the stuff he hears. There's a lot of good stuff out there if you have the energy to resist closing yourself off. Another big thing to remember: managing expectations is key. When it comes to enjoyment, we're often our own worst enemies.

Galen Ulrich Elfert
gettin' sounds

Post by Galen Ulrich Elfert » Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:13 am

Pick up a copy of WIRE. It's an English magazine, but it covers the whole world, and punctures every high/low, east/west, pop/art boundary. Each issue is densely packed, the scant advertising is exclusively for obscure labels and festivals, and the caliber of the writing is way beyond almost anything else out there.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 pm

The most recent Tortoise record sounded pretty fresh to me when I first heard it.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:50 pm

fossiltooth wrote:New Tom Waits, new David Lynch, new Thurston Moore, new Bjork... Should I keep going?
I'm excited about all of these.
mjau wrote:The most recent Tortoise record sounded pretty fresh to me when I first heard it.
Agreed

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:27 pm

I caught these guys a couple years ago in Edinburgh,,,,
I present : USURPER

http://player.vimeo.com/video/21149365?autoplay=1
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am

I don't know if this is at all in the vein of what you are looking for, but Sleepytime Gorilla Museum has been doing some pretty interesting stuff.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:19 pm

mscottweber wrote: Sleepytime Gorilla Museum
I love them! Iwas very bummed to hear they broke up earlier this year. Plus they have Dan Rathbun in the line up who is also an amazing recording engineer.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:50 pm

Wow, I did not realize they broke up... That just put a damper on my friday night :( But yeah, they were great, and all of the other projects that those people are/were involved in are great, too. Definitely some wonderful examples of contemporary music that pushes boundries.

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:27 pm

Anything actually current from right now?
Harumph!

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:53 pm

Dawes, anyone? Sharon Jones + Dap-Kings? I guess those are both throwback outfits, but "new" artists that are putting out great material and arguably putting on even better live performances. That's my opinion anyway. I feel like those two fall under that "adult" category right?

Personally, I like to dig through the older stuff because there's just so much incredible, untapped music out there. It feels like every couple of months I find some killer record from way back when that just blows my mind. Could be something I stumbled across on Spotify, a bargain bin purchase, etc.

Interesting not to see any mention of Michael Bolton though, but I don't think he ever really topped Time, Love, and Tenderness...