Just seeking a little feedback for a very rough mix.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Just seeking a little feedback for a very rough mix.

Post by Jeff White » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:17 am

http://ipressrecord.com/Audio/arcticSpl ... ix%201.mp3

This is a really quick mix during the sessions for my band's debut EP. I'm getting ready to mix some stuff for real and wanted to have some feedback on the sounds so far. That's me on guitar. This entire full-band take is 100% live. Zero overdubs. All in the same room. Old school. This song will remain this way except for a single vocal line that the singer left out and we re-tracked.

Thanks!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my home studio, Ch?teau Blanco, and in various spaces in the Philly area. http://jeffwhiteaudio.com/

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:57 pm

Gotta love a band that can deliver right off the floor and has the balls to record that way. My only nit would be that there's a little to much room on the drums, but that probably more personal than problematic.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for the kind words. Drums, yeah, I just honestly threw the faders up. That's a lot of stereo room mics for sure! I'm definitely gonna tone it down a bit!

Some background:

We tracked this at WXPN's main room here in Philly (my bass player works there) but used all of my gear (DP4.6, Black Lion MOTU 828mk2, BA API 312s, Syteks...). I borrowed the studio's new Focusrite Octopre for additional channels (the vocals were SM7b-->Octopre), a couple of 421s, and a pair of the new 414s for room mics.

The mix probably has vintage warmer on the 2-bus, and probably has a Waves Ren Comp on the vocals. I also did a little chorus effect on some of the outro vocals with automation, but that's most likely it for plug-ins. I haven't looked at this session in months and this is the quick mix that I did for the band right after tracking.

We're going to finish up my guitars for another song (I wasn't happy with the sound of the originals), mix it, and do a digital single for February, then mix the rest of the EP. We tracked 6 songs in 2 hours. We've since done two overdub sessions at my place for vocals and keys. But this song, "I'll Quit My Low-Down Ways For You," will be 100% live except for a single vocal line.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my home studio, Ch?teau Blanco, and in various spaces in the Philly area. http://jeffwhiteaudio.com/