Americana/Roots band in a record store playing "16 tons

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Americana/Roots band in a record store playing "16 tons

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:16 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHgzpXLDr54

One thing is for sure, I am entranced by the "cross-zoom" effect... and another thing, I admire a group that would dare to call themselves "Big Creek"-- talk about a tremendous degree of self confidence and the certainty they'll overcome the difficulties this presents to search-ism and the search-istics... you go, guys!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:28 am

"...You dig 16 tons and whaddya get? Another day older and deeper in debt."

He really needs a separate mic or a pickup on that old Gibson mandolin.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:08 pm

Joel-- Did you get a new camera, or are you just mastering the transfer to file-format? Sharp as a tack, babe, and I love the new production values.
What program?

Even the lens-flare distortion at the intro (normally rather undesirable) looks cool.

The band sounds nice and looks appropo for the genre... I wish the special guest had entered the fray a bit more gracefully, though. All he needed was a Dick Van Dyke/Chevy Chase prat-fall...

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 am

You're probably noticing the jump to iMovie 11 on my new laptop... and there's plans afoot to upgrade to Final Cut Pro X, which should make me a real danger to myself and others.

That klutz is Jimmy, the owner of the record store, who makes a habit of barging in on the guest bands... he's alot like that in real life, too, bumbling in a charming, graceful way.

Chevy Chase?!? You're dating both of us!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:26 am

You might want to hold-off and research a bit-- FCP X is getting some less-than-rave reviews from some of the video guys, and I'm hearing things like "Final Cut Pro 9 was so much better..."

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:30 am

Hmmm... I'll reassess my plans in that case.

I got the story that "X" has been streamlined alot, no multi-camera support, pissing off the live streaming people no end... but is there something quality-wise that makes it truly inferior?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:45 am

I'm not sure exactly, but I remember comments from editor-types. Check some of the forums. I'll try and find some of the comments I saw...

GJ

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

I think i have sussed out the issues-- read a longish post (with screenshots) from a longtime video editor guy, Jan... something.

So, rewinding-- got this cool camera last April that turned out did hi def video-- my son pointed out iMovie (in my Mac G4) would theoretically work. It did! All I had to do was put the SD card in my printer... and with USB 1.0, kinda time-consuming-- and iMovie was kinda clunky... but miraculously, it did work!

Fast forward to beginning of January, I get my long anticipated new laptop, a MacBook Pro, with iMovie 11, leaps and mighty bounds beyond what I was used to... and I wander into an Apple store, and find that Final Cut Pro X is the souped-up-yet-more version of iMovie-- looks the same, works similarly, except the limits are even more unlimited. As usual: God carefully micro-managing my progress along whatever insanely preposterous path He's predestined for me.

So, objectively, "X" is a retreat from Final Cut 7-- there ARE these stupidly automated functions and "idiot proof" features that surely would drive a serious video guy up a tree, up a whole forest-- so many parameters are pre-defined for your own good, it's highly obnoxious. Not that it makes anything impossible, you just need to undo them all the time. Irritating? But can your average helpless soccer mom use it and not help but put together something viewable? Do we pay a price in our society for casting a wide net for software users? Will there ever be an end to the rhetorical questions?

I was remembering back to the EARLIEST days of midi-- what you saw onscreen was a white box-- a white box on a blue field. You played the part, and the computer either captured it or didn't-- but when it did, you could loop it, it was MAGNIFICENT. White box-- not notes on a staff you could change velocities of, pitch shift, surgically jimmy to a "t." A white box.

So, anyway... thanks, Jesus!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 pm

Amen.

GJ