Tascam 388 project done

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Tascam 388 project done

Post by jrdamien » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:47 pm

I should have posted this here...didn't even realize this was a forum until a member told me so!

Just finished a 2 piece thang on the 388. Used 2 mics, mixed down to laptop using a reverb pedal. Minimal recording, minimal effects, minimal everything. What do ya'll think?

www.thecrookedsaws.bandcamp.com

shadwell157
audio school graduate

like!

Post by shadwell157 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:16 am

Hey! Were vocal effects put on the computer or did you mix it all down to a stereo channel on your laptop?

Either way, sounds great! Dirty, early black keys....who did a couple on a 388 I believe?!?

We have a 388 at www.notools.co.uk in the UK! We love it! I'll post some bits up soon.

Keep up the ace work.

Tascam tape machines rule.
Brought to you by the letter J

Rikharthu
audio school

Post by Rikharthu » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:53 pm

Yeah, they did their first album on a 388.

I still have that guitar riff from "Low" saved on my hard drive because it's so cool, from when you posted it before. I mean, I rarely listen to stuff that people post, aside from critiques...usually it's shit, haha. But Imma actually pull this one up for its own sake.

Rad, man. Rad.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Re: like!

Post by jrdamien » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:11 pm

shadwell157 wrote:Hey! Were vocal effects put on the computer or did you mix it all down to a stereo channel on your laptop?

Either way, sounds great! Dirty, early black keys....who did a couple on a 388 I believe?!?

We have a 388 at www.notools.co.uk in the UK! We love it! I'll post some bits up soon.

Keep up the ace work.

Tascam tape machines rule.
All the vocal effects were on mix down, and it took a damn long time to figure out how to do it without introducing noise or much strangeness using effects pedals. The only constant effect is reverb, which is the same verb being applied to drums, during mixdown. Then for 414, there are two version of the chorus. The one that's up now is just a delay being tweaked by hand (delay time knob turned randomly). The version that's going to be on the cd is a phase 90 pedal bouncing the vocals between left and right channels.

jrdamien
gettin' sounds

Post by jrdamien » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:12 pm

Rikharthu wrote:Yeah, they did their first album on a 388.

I still have that guitar riff from "Low" saved on my hard drive because it's so cool, from when you posted it before. I mean, I rarely listen to stuff that people post, aside from critiques...usually it's shit, haha. But Imma actually pull this one up for its own sake.

Rad, man. Rad.
I really appreciate it. The moment I heard the Low riff I was like "god damn!" Love when that (rarely) happens.