pink floyd immersion boxed sets.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mjsemtex
studio intern

pink floyd immersion boxed sets.

Post by mjsemtex » Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:37 am

anyone get the 'wish you were here' or 'dark side of the moon' yet? it looks like 'the wall' is the next one to come out... i'd love to hear the same treatment with 'animals'.
what that is? is recreational dirty stuff.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:58 pm

are they gonna do umma gumma? that's the only one that would really interest me. :oops:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:18 pm

The Dark Side set is pretty great. The alternate takes and odd bits are totally cool and the live show is really excellent, with terrific sound quality. I LOVE Alan Parsons' "rough mix" version of the album and after almost 30 years of waiting, I was finally able to hear some of the "Household Objects" project and it's VERY cool. I haven't gotten the Wish You Were Here set yet, but it's on my list. I imagine The Wall will be interesting, as well.

I'd love to see what's floating around for Animals, too. I recently read an interview with Nick Mason where he mentioned that Umma Gumma was likely to be next if the others sell well.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 am

Cool! Now if they'd release it on vinyl...

Zacharia Matilda
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Zacharia Matilda » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:28 am

+1 on Umma Gumma. The band was pretty all over the road at that point. I have heard some live stuff from that era that is great, although not so great sound-wise.
dehumidified

Seej
takin' a dinner break

Post by Seej » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:00 pm

cgarges wrote: I'd love to see what's floating around for Animals, too. I recently read an interview with Nick Mason where he mentioned that Umma Gumma was likely to be next if the others sell well.
He said in the last issue Saucerful was on the list next, but didn't go into details apart from surviving BBC sessions and alternate mixes. Maybe the mono album will finally be released on cd.
"You can have a crappy drum set and still be a good drummer. And then you can have a $15,000 drum set with all these drums and the drummer's crap."-Mike Gibbins (1949-2005)

http://www.soundcloud.com/Seej1982

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:15 pm

Seej wrote:
cgarges wrote: I'd love to see what's floating around for Animals, too. I recently read an interview with Nick Mason where he mentioned that Umma Gumma was likely to be next if the others sell well.
He said in the last issue Saucerful was on the list next, but didn't go into details apart from surviving BBC sessions and alternate mixes. Maybe the mono album will finally be released on cd.
Oh shit, you're absolutely right!

I'd love to hear the mono version of that. I cannot believe how eye-opening the mono version of Piper was for me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 am

I just bought DSOTM immersion set, and I cannot wait for the surround mixes.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:I just bought DSOTM immersion set, and I cannot wait for the surround mixes.

Cheers
So far I love it. Still need time alone to get into the surround mixes though.

It's cool to be able to see the concert video that was played behind the band during different concerts.

And I do like the paraphernalia, I'm from the old vinyl school of reading along with the lyrics, seeing artwork while listening to the music. To me it is so much more of an experience when I can use more than one sense to experience the bands music.

Hopefully this type of exposure to an artists' work can come back in this digital age.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.