Hums + Haws -- Tascam 58 8-track recording

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Kordorama
audio school graduate

Hums + Haws -- Tascam 58 8-track recording

Post by Kordorama » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:46 pm

Please check out a project I just completed, called Hums + Haws. I play everything (except a mandolin on a track and backup vox on a track).

This was recorded in my Chicago basement through an early 80's Ramsa board to a Tascam 58 8-track, both of which I picked up last fall and learned to use through the recording process. Mental gymnastics is how i describe the process.

Humsandhaws.bandcamp.com

CDs, cassettes and a dedicated download page to come in a month or so... but now that everything is done its hard to gather the momentum to officially finish.

Awesome,
Matt
===============
housesounds.muxtape.com
humsandhaws.bandcamp.com
Kordorama
"One nation under a grooooove"

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:35 pm

wonderful sound!

did you do a lot of tweaking to the tracks you laid down as far as eq/fixing, or going 8 track to PC for wrangling, or did you mix straight from the 8 track using the board again?

reminds me of how awesome the first capitol years record 'meet yr acres' is.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

Kordorama
audio school graduate

Post by Kordorama » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:14 pm

Thanks for listening, Marshall.. I'm not familiar with the reference, but Ill have to look up Capitol Years.

I brought the tape machine to Reelsounds Chicago studio in Skokie, and dumped the 8-tracks to a Radar II machine. It was nice having the Radar for quick rw/ff. Those tracks went straight to compressors, then into an Amek Angela board. Some EQ, reverbs happened from there. The track #9 Rodeo was mixed in a computer by Todd Carter @ bel_Air Sound Studio -- he also master the album.

Do you still run that gorgeous studio Stereophonic? I had the opportunity to stop by there a few years ago and we talked about tape loops, if I can remember correctly. It would be cool to stop by again sometime, i really liked the vibe of your space.

Awesome,
Matt
Kordorama
"One nation under a grooooove"