blackQueen/The Family Curse split 7" and video.

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

blackQueen/The Family Curse split 7" and video.

Post by trodden » Wed May 30, 2012 1:09 pm

Current band I'm playing in, blackQueen did a split with my sister's band, The Family Curse and besides the actual physical 7" with amazing artwork, we are offering it as a free download. All tracks recorded at my place.

go here,
http://frcollective.com/tfc_bq_split7.html

to download the three songs from the Family Curse/blackQueen split 7" FOR FREEEEEEE..

Also, a kickass video from The Family Curse for one of the songs on the split.

Check it out, pass it along... THANKS!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed May 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Sounds great! Was this done on the Pro Tools Mix setup you were working on? Care to expand upon the recording/mixing process?

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu May 31, 2012 2:05 pm

Sounds cool, yes geek info please
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu May 31, 2012 7:51 pm

Which Band? or both?

I did not mix The Family Curse songs. That's why they sound so good. I recorded the guitars, bass, vocals for The Family Curse stuff.

I recorded and mixed the blackQueen track.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:31 pm

Both!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:02 am

Yes,
This was tracked on the modded digi 001 and the blackQueen stuff was mixed on the Mix Plus. Marc, from The Family Curse mixed their stuff in Samplitude i believe.. That's his preferred platform

for the blackQueen stuff.... all tracked at my place. drums, bass, guitars done live. Second guitars, vocals, and keys overdubbed.

There were microphones and preamps (api, soundtracs, neve 1073, EHX tube pre) involved. standard mic set up on kit when tracking at my place.
e602 and 4047 on kick
beyer 201 (top) and stedman n90 (bottom) on Snare
Oktava MK-012's on two rack toms
Audio Technica atm25's on two floor toms
MK-012's for OH's in ORTF
beyer 260 over the drummer shoulder
Joly Modded TOMB ribbon front of kit/room
unmodded china ribbon of same design, far room.

Guitars
sm7 and modded oktava ml-52 on cab.

Bass (i'm not too happy with the tone, will use her 4X10 cab instead of the 2X15 next time)
re20 and cad e100 on 2X15 cab.

Vocals
sm7
vocal processing includes reamping through bad ass little silvertone combo, as well as a lot of reverb from spring reverb, alesis wedge, and lexicon lxp-1, and delay from effectron.

Keys were direct into API 3124, hitting art VLA after.

Mixed out of the box on my soundtracs topaz.

The Family Curse.

They brought over a two track of the basic song layout. We recorded guitars, bass, vocals using same mic set ups as above. They took the tracks back to their studio for slicing dicing and mixing.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 am

How are you liking your Mix setup compared to your 001? Do you think it sounds better, similar, worse? How about the workflow compared to the 001?

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 am

Brett Siler wrote:How are you liking your Mix setup compared to your 001? Do you think it sounds better, similar, worse? How about the workflow compared to the 001?
I'm digging it. It took a few sessions to get familiar, there was definitely somethings that changed workflow wise... Dealing with the delay from TDM plugs especially when i've got crap bussed all over the place. I think it sounds as good. I'm still using the modded AI-3 for 8 channels of in/out which i think sounds "clearer" than the 888's. Having the hight track count has saved my ass on the last couple records. Overall, I'm liking it. I still hunger for an HD set up though. ADC would be fucking nice.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Been a minute since I've been on TOMB (well for me a least).

Yeah, the only bummer for me on the PT 6.4 TDM is the no RTAS or VST plug ins on the AUX or Master Out. I dealt with and figured out plugin latency work arounds, so other than the RTAS thing I'm pretty happy with it!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:27 pm

Brett Siler wrote:Been a minute since I've been on TOMB (well for me a least).

Yeah, the only bummer for me on the PT 6.4 TDM is the no RTAS or VST plug ins on the AUX or Master Out. I dealt with and figured out plugin latency work arounds, so other than the RTAS thing I'm pretty happy with it!
DUDE.. yeah, the no rtas thing on Aux's is a suck since i have a few that are RTAS only and work best on aux's.