New Direction: What IS This?

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

pulsedepravity
audio school

New Direction: What IS This?

Post by pulsedepravity » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:00 am

Bottom line: I'm headed in a new musical direction, but I need some help figuring out what it is genre-wise. It's clearly electronic, but I'd like to be able to call it something more specific if I can reasonably do so.

You can listen to my music here: http://soundcloud.com/pulse-depravity

Some background: I started writing songs in a folk-rock trio in high school. I started using notation software to create more elaborate arrangements with the idea of using overdubs or other musicians to record live instruments later. At some point I moved into using samples to create recordings, still with the intent to replace them with live instruments. A few years back I wrote a couple of synth pop arrangements (like Depeche Mode, Erasure, Pet Shop Boys, etc.) using soft synths. More recently, I got a Moog Slim Phatty and I've been listening to a lot of Kraftwerk, YMO, Anthony Rother, etc. I intend to use a combo of analog synth with soft synth and samples as needed. What I've been writing should be "electro" but I'm not sure that it is. I've been experimenting with unusual time signatures and modes. I realize that genre is a matter of opinion, to some degree, but I'd like to hear a few opinions and get an idea what my music sounds like to other people. Thanks! - David
David of Pulse Depravity
Multimedia Artist
http://pulsedepravity.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:57 pm

Electro? Trance? Acid House? Electronica?

I don't know, I get confused with all of the sub-genres, but it's cool though; nice stuff, poppy, but still with an experimental edge. I make stuff like this too, but much, much less disciplined. This has structure, which is great. And while I'm not sure what it is either, I'd say that it definitely has a place in the EDM scene. Nice work.

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:11 am

This could be called simply Electronic music.

See England / France / Germany artists late 1970s through mid 1990s.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

JamesHE
steve albini likes it

Post by JamesHE » Sat Jul 14, 2012 6:20 am

I really like "Depravity (Demo)"

reminds me of ennio morricone, and the Legend of Zelda

besides, I'm a sucker for anything not in 4/4.
a spoon full weighs a ton

http://soundcloud.com/james-eure