Your Sister's Canary

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

decocco
pushin' record

Your Sister's Canary

Post by decocco » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:50 pm

I recently engineered this record, Good and Alone by Your Sister's Canary: http://yoursisterscanary.bandcamp.com/a ... -and-alone

They are a 3 piece rock band from Brooklyn. Their live shows are pretty freakin' great!

The recordings are basically live full band takes with vocals and some other sweetening bits overdubbed. We recorded it to 2" at Dreamland in upstate NY and did some mixing at Strange Weather in Brooklyn. The remainder of the mixes were done at my place in NJ. It was mastered by Jake Rodenhouse Perfect Sound Studios in CA. Daniel Schlett assisted at Strange Weather and Adam Armstrong assisted at Dreamland.

I hope some of you fellow TapeOppers dig it!

Comments are appreciated!
-Chris D.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:18 pm

How'd you do the drums?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:34 pm

Hey! I listened to "I Was On The Rocks." Cool! Nice production and mixing; cool song-writing and performance.

The alternating time-sig idea (6 to 5) is neat-o. Totally different groove, of course, but it reminds me of one of my favorite Zep tunes ("Four Sticks").

GJ

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:21 pm

Yay, comments!

Gregg, thanks for the compliments! I love working with this band because I think they are great songwriters and their performances are always electric!

Snarl,
The main drums were setup in the live room, kinda in the middle. 3 U87's, two down low near the cymbals and toms and one up kinda high make up the bulk of the drum sound. I think I used a 57 on the snare (I usually do). FET47 outside the bass drum. A Neumann SM2 (which is a stereo mic) was about 10' in front of the kit as a room mic and went through an Alan Smart C2 to tape. I used the API console pres on all the drum mics.

Everyone was in the room together, so I gobo'ed off the guitar and bass amps to control the bleed in the drum mics. There were also some gobos around the drums themselves, to cut down the ambience in the close mics.

We also had a "dry" kit setup in the smallest iso booth. We made the kit super dead with pillows, shirts and duct tape. There was a D12 inside the kick, no resonant head. An RCA 77DX was positioned above the snare and kick to pick up the rest of the kit. It was compressed to tape with an 1176, IIRC.

We used the dry kit on "Insecure, At Ease" and "Take Care".
-Chris D.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I didn't listen to all the tunes yet, but I love the drum sounds. Huge and intimate at the same time.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

decocco
pushin' record

Post by decocco » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:05 am

Awesome, thanks! Jordan, the drummer, is a beast behind the kit! The drum sizes of his kit are actually pretty small. He uses an 18" kick!

We used kit with bigger drums for the dry stuff. It was a really beat up kit they had at Dreamland. It was funny because the iso booth was literally just big enough to fit him, the kit and the mics.

The whole band's sense of dynamics is really spot on, which I think is the main reason the drums sound both intimate yet huge. There is a great synergy between them.

Also, the live room there sounds super amazing.
-Chris D.