vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:38 am

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:07 pm

shed,

Look inside that gatefold cover on the Bud Powell LP (pretty sure that's the one I'm thinking of). There's a photo from somewhat stage perspective showing a bunch of folks watching Bud perform at little tables, like a cabaret-type setting. It might be a little blurry, but there's a slightly pudgy young white fellow in the audience, enthusiastically digging Bud. That kid grew up to be my drum teacher, the one-and-only Lou Marino...

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:37 am

My copy from 1966 doesn't have a gatefold unfortunately, but I found this tiny pic from that era. Any chance that's Lou Marino to Bud's right there? He seems very intent on what Bud is doing.

The sax players always seemed to get a more enthusiastic response.

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:59 am

Huh. It's not that picture, but one very much like it; probably the same session/gig. Now I've got to find out which LP it's on (or where it's originally from that my faulty memory can't access)...

GJ
Gregg Juke

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:39 am

Other [As Keith] ? Robyn Hitchcock

TODAY'S WORD IS SEEMINGLY.
Upon first impression..and still, he?s a willfully odd duck you either get or don't. Sometimes he likes the Syd Barrett approach to lyrics, aka seemingly random sound-of-words- together lyrics. He?s seemingly hit and miss, but the jewels are things I really like and am willing to put up with the seemingly "neer do wells".

...And then he rewards repeated listening as the word play sinks in and you have little "aha" moments and the list of jewels grows. One of my favorite artists.

On his slower to mid tempo trippy numbers, He sounds a lot like John Lennon at times, really enunciating the words slowly so they come out almost behind the beat. Again , he's got jewels interspersed all through his catalog.

Lately when he's in the rotation I've been listening his Spooked with Gillian Welch and David Rawlings, his covers album The Man Upstairs, and Jewels for Sophia with Jon Brion and Peter Buck among others. Other good stuff : Invisible Hitchcock, Mossy Liquor, Propeller Time, Underwater Moonlight from when he was with the Soft Boys. If you want to delve into seriously cryptic, try Eye and I Often Dream of Trains.

He does a great cover of Dylan?s Not Dark Yet. Mexican God is a good song of his. He's got a unique picking style. He can tell a surreal twisted tale on the spot live between songs like nobody's business. He?s been around a long time. A little of his eighties output suffers from the dated production, and I still don't know what the song balloon man is about. I will figure it out someday.

Perhaps an acquired taste for some, but hey, vive la diff?rence.

Supposedly when Paul McCartney wrote "Yesterday, All my troubles seemed so far away", his work-in-progress lyrics were "Scrambled eggs, Oh my darling how I love your legs". Robyn would have kept those.

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 5 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:19 pm

For those who use protection..
Polypropylene or Polyethylene?

Yes, it is time to discuss something that is a burning question in the minds of all record collectors. (?)
And that question is whether to use
Polyethylene or Polypropylene protective album sleeves. Yes, well I am here to set the record straight.

Here is an album sheathed in Polypropylene

and the same album in Polyethylene

Polypropylene can be produced optically clear (left), while Polyethylene is excellent for sandwich bags and cloudy scuffing (right).

Any questions? I didn't think so.
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:07 am

What about propylethylene??

GJ
Gregg Juke

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:35 am

It isn't currently feasible as the inherent microstranding causes bifurcated isotactic polymere breakup
without the introduction of bonding adherents such as alkylnitrobenzines which are known carcinogens, dude.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:32 am

All the news that's fit to print..
Neil Young Used 200,000 'Comes A Time' Albums As Barn Roof Shingles

Young reportedly bought the massive amount of copies because he was unhappy with the sound, buying the albums so he could do away with them.

"Oh, that was because it was a mastering error," Young said. "The tape got damaged when it went through the airport or something. I had to go back and use a copy of the master -- it was a copy, but it had better-sounding playback than the other one."

When asked if he shot up the 200,000 albums, Young replied with an answer which might have surprised many.

"No, no, I made a barn roof out of them," he said. "I used them as shingles."

flooring ideas

Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:57 am

>>>> Various stuff........ Dude.<<<<

Propylethylpol? Prollyethyloaf? Mollyprobyloaf? Preppyethylalanene?

Have you seen Polythene Pam? Yeah, yeah, yeah.

GJ
Gregg Juke

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:01 am

shedshrine wrote:It isn't currently feasible as the inherent microstranding causes bifurcated isotactic polymere breakup
without the introduction of bonding adherents such as alkylnitrobenzines which are known carcinogens, dude.
Ferduh!

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:00 am

had some records i bought on ebay waiting for me when i got home yesterday.

jackie mittoo - the keyboard king (reggae/funk at its finest)
james brown - get up offa that thing
curtis mayfield - got to find a way

my wife son and i were dancing all last night, i love vinyl

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:01 pm

Can you imagine the three of them in the same band? Jackie easy-skanking and bubbling over funk grooves, Curtis writing amazing material and alternating lead and back-up falsetto, and James B. getting up off of his thing? Making us all feel better?
Prince on guitar! I'm experiencing a reverie right now!!

GJ
Gregg Juke

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jul 22, 2016 7:03 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Can you imagine the three of them in the same band? Jackie easy-skanking and bubbling over funk grooves, Curtis writing amazing material and alternating lead and back-up falsetto, and James B. getting up off of his thing? Making us all feel better?
Prince on guitar! I'm experiencing a reverie right now!!

GJ
youre speaking to me right now man. jackie is a recent find for me, his mid 70's stuff that's like funk-dub has really helped me get more into reggae. i'm not really into ska, or roots, or rocksteady, but the funky-dub i love.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks for the Mittoo tip. Great stuff!

A little off topic perhaps, but it is related to the necessary gear...

So I was looking for a pair of old Klipsch speakers to go with my old Sansui receiver. I found a pair on Craiglist, and it had had some Bob Crites mods, which apparently is a popular thing. This particular pair was touted as having had all the mods. Crossovers, titanium diaphragms, re-coned woofers and passive radiators ..and the owner had also seen fit to re-veneer the things in zebrawood. The price was fair, I call and I'm in.

I google map the address, and wow. Big gates, long narrow tree covered cobblestone driveway that expands out in front of the house replete with six carefully covered sports cars. Soon I am to find it's the house of Ken Leonard who was a big deal in 1970's electronics among other things.

He was the founder AEA Electronics http://aeaaudio.com/legacy-page/ which has been restarted recently. His first board was used at Criteria Studios for Clapton's Derek & the Dominos Layla sessions and it took off from there..Fleetwood Mac Rumours etc..
He also happens to hold a patent for certifying the security of websites.

So anyway, his son makes the minute or so walk to the black gates to let my car in. Once parked I am invited inside and we make our way back past ornate furnishings, sculptures and statues to the "stereo room/pool table room/electronics projects room".

Next to a picture of Mr. Leonard adjusting a mixing desk (as Eric Clapton and member of the Allman Brothers look on) are the speakers. Currently the pool table is covered and full of electronics projects in progress, namely the refurbing of classic tube receivers and integrated amps which he and his father do for fun.
The speakers were demoed with a 7 watt Heathkit amp. They sounded good low, they sounded good cranked. sold.

The house..
Last edited by shedshrine on Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.