vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Let's see those vinyl collections!
Gratuitous turntable pics, great finds, etc..
shedshrine wrote:Vinyl Collection Volume Creep: It can happen to you.

Image[/URL]
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:39 pm, edited 11 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:02 am

continued creep..

A little over 500 lps at this point.

First Holy grail was Beatles white album that wasn't trashed, found one local a few months ago with pressing 120xxx, album cover vg+, vinyl vg+, no poster, no pics. (don't care :D )

Holy Grail 2 was Led Zeppelin 1 in great shape.
( A practical holy grail, not the turquoise UK pressing pressed the first three weeks that sells for hundreds, I mean as they continued pressing the day after three weeks with orange labeled one that most people have. )
Got that a couple weeks ago. It happened to be quite a thick copy, which is always cool, and it had a perfectly smooth edge all the way around as if it were finished. Very nice copy!

So..Looking for a new holy grail. haha.

much of the collection I have on cd, or remastered cd as well in some cases, so it's fun to compare them.

One thing that continues making this sport entertaining is finding funky fun off the beaten path stuff that has no hope of ever being reissued on cd. Join the club.. :lol: Now there's some holy grail material.

And finally, I have enjoyed seeing my 8 year old daughter anxious to prove that she can handle the record from sleeve to turntable, do the serious spray clean and/or graphite brush clean and place the needle without me.
Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:34 am

Here is a shot of some records under my turntable.

"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:07 am

Nice collections, love gratuitous vinyl shots - here's some of mine :)

012-365-2011 by Dr Rubberfunk, on Flickr

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:59 am

I love gratuitous use of the fish-eye lens too. Which makes that shot perfect!

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:49 am

What's frameworthy to you guys?
These are some of what are up now, those frames let you swap them out easily.
Some aren't even things I'd listen to very often anyway, they just have the "look".

Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:39 pm

I don't know... I've only got one thing framed right now (the first record I was on as a sideman; yes, it came out on vinyl when that was the thing the first time around; I'm that old!)...

Once I transfer a few things to CD and back them up, I might frame a couple of things that are cool/rare to me (no great shakes to a real collector guy, but I think they're kind of unique)-- I just picked-up a fairly prized Beatle boot in good condition, and I also have one of the earlier singles on VJ. Those will probably get the frame treatment with some Beatles pictures. I _had_ some cool Beatles picture sleeves that my older siblings gave me. I was a fool and took them to my high school radio station, where they were promptly ruined.

I have a pretty early Bowie picture sleeve single, a couple of early Roy Orbison and Everly Brothers discs, and some old Jazz records. Maybe those, and a few of the 78's I have might get framed? Also, a couple of autograph things; for instance, I got James Cotton to sign the CD booklet of my copy of "Chicago/The Blues/Today!", something like that would look cool, I guess.

If I had any decent picture vinyl or etched vinyl (I don't), that would be a shoe-in. If you go to the United Record Pressing sight, you can see a picture of a Willie Nelson etched disc they did. I saw it up close, and it's really an awesome looking piece of art.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:46 pm

Speaking of "the look," shred, I go to our local Salvation Army and Goodwill stores to crate dig every once in awhile. It's almost all Ed Ames and Mantovani and all of that same stuff that everybody got rid of and is constantly getting rid of. One day though, there was this awesome piece of orange vinyl that I wanted to hang in the old studio. The record was something I nor anybody else would probably ever listen to; it was just cool looking.

Anyway, I hid it in back for a later pick-up, but somebody must have snagged it (cue sad wah-wah trumpet)...

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:48 pm

And that story reminded me of our recent move to our new location, when I was just starting to get the record library together, and I dropped a 78 of Django Rheinhardt, and of course, it busted into tiny, tiny pieces.

Shellac is not vinyl, kids.

GJ

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:50 pm

PPS-- R-Funk-- Is that a Brazilian tamborim underneath the Portishead, or just a regular headed tambourine?

GJ

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:36 pm

Electro-Voice 664 wrote:Here is a shot of some records under my turntable.

How's that Gabor Szabo record? I have a couple ("Dreams" is one of my favorite records) but I don't have "Jazz Raga."
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Can someone recommend a sweet sweet turntable/stylus? I'm in the market for something direct drive and wonderful.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:44 pm

dwlb wrote:How's that Gabor Szabo record? I have a couple ("Dreams" is one of my favorite records) but I don't have "Jazz Raga."
Jazz Raga is awesome. It's a total studio geek record, lots of sitars and eastern scales. 1966 Engineered by RVG, Produced by Bob Theile, with Pretty Purdie, Johnny Gregg, and Bob Bushnell
Great fidelity, cool jazz meets surf meets Ginger Baker's solo album?.
I could hear it as the hippy acid scene in an unwritten Madmen episode.

here is another little pile

"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:23 am

Gregg Juke wrote:I love gratuitous use of the fish-eye lens too. Which makes that shot perfect!

GJ
Hehe - cheers, must do another one of the other side of the room!
Gregg Juke wrote:PPS-- R-Funk-- Is that a Brazilian tamborim underneath the Portishead, or just a regular headed tambourine?

GJ
Just a regular headed tambourine, pretty big though, think it's 13", so fits nicely on top of my snare for retro soulsville oomph and jingle :)

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Cool. Also, I meant "pandeiro," not "tamborim" (which is actually a tiny drum with no jingles). I had a Portuguese senior moment...

I'd love to see a fish-eye of the other side! Then we'd have Rubberfunk vinyl in stereo, as it should be.

GJ