vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Happy New Year. I’m sure there are some silver linings in all of this.

time for a ramble.

Thanks jimjazzdad. Lucky for you I couldn't trim down the polka soundbites to under 10 seconds. They were just too good. :)

I deleted the Holdworth review I just posted right here for a bit because it was just not sitting well with me. I might try again at some point. I love the guy. He followed his bliss, damn the torpedoes. He had a unique vision, style, and was all in, sincere and prolific.

I have a hard time with reviews, writing them I mean. I appreciate good ones, but at a certain level, you either like something or you don’t. Criticisms read after the fact can seem like petty contrivances. It's really a personal thing. And that really has no bearing on whether someone else should like it. I don’t want anything to do with anything that smacks of portending to be a taste maker, or the judge of someone’s art (or artistic commmerce ha!) beyond my own discernment.

Clapton wanted to call one of his albums "the greatest guitar player in the world..there's one in every crowd". You get to a certain level, and it's just a matter of taste, of style. Some styles are popular, some connect with you, some not so much. Who am I to judge their talent, their intent.
"I can't wait for my album to drop so I can find out what I wrote" said Dylan, or something like that.

Some reviewers are amazing. They can bring in Greek deity references and visceral analogies galore and you actually get ‘a’ image of the aural experience you may find.
And VVV does great succint one or two liner reviews that cut to the chase.

In my estimation, to write a good one, where you can be as empirically objective as much as is humanly possible, where the truth you are expressing is so self evident, you really can't hurt the artist's feelings because it's such an honest critique that you are arguably helping them see what needs to be seen, and at the same time you are truly helping your brothers and sisters find more good music from the source, the muse, the connection that we all seek. I guess the trick is to review awesome albums, ha!

_______

I’m sitting here listening to Chet Baker. My 17 year old daughter, who is a big K-Pop fan, also happens to be currently digging Billie “Lady Day” Holiday, and more recently Chet Baker.
Damn!

The Chetness I’m listiening to is from a Spotify playlist. I’m sure many of you have gotten to this place long ago, but I am listening more and more to this format, and while I know that it isn’t exactly the way to artistic reimbursement nirvana, it has proven such a beautiful way to get new music into my ears. And sure, stuff I find that I love I’ll seek out on vinyl, but for just general listening there’s no turning back.

The audio connoisseur in me thought it lame that Spotify calls their best sound quality “extreme fidelity’ yet it wasn’t even lossless, but rather streamed at 320kbps. Regardless, it sounds pretty darn good.

The playlist function..albums are awesome, but sometimes an artist just works better for me when I get to what for me is the wheat of the matter, And I just don’t have the time to listen through 10 million artists catalogs to savor and mull over to choose which songs I dig the most and would want to compile for repeated enjoyment.

_______

Vinyl is awesome, and when I started collecting in earnest in 2012 I was seriously thinking I would get every song that I’ve ever liked on vinyl, one hit wonders, classic rock icons, jazz greats, avante garde gems, every funky record known to man…

When I got up past the 2500 lp mark, I re-assessed my initial intent. Y’know, maybe I really don’t need to have every song I’ve ever taken a shine to on vinyl.

I was in the Last Record Store in Santa Rosa last weekend talking with Hoyt,
I told him jokingly that I was glad when I came in and didn’t find anything. and also noticing that wow, there are a hell of a lot more people into vinyl now.
He said you must be glad you got all the records you wanted before vinyl got more popular.

I have sold back a bunch to them for store credit, and just chip away at that reserve when I find something “special”.
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:07 pm

Oh man, here's an amazing lot of great finds. Found over time.

There’s about 9 or 10 right there.

These have become go-to records for chill out.

Fantastic music, well recorded and committed to vinyl beautifully.

I can’t tell you what they are.

I haven’t found decently clean and/or non-outrageous priced copies yet.

But I will.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:02 pm

shedshrine wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 pm

I’m sitting here listening to Chet Baker. My 17 year old daughter, who is a big K-Pop fan, also happens to be currently digging Billie “Lady Day” Holiday, and more recently Chet Baker.
Damn!
My 17 year old has been getting into the classics as well. Just today he was listening to the Beastie Boys' 1998 masterwork "Hello Nasty."

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:58 pm

beastier billy baker.JPG
beastier billy baker.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 11703 times

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:21 pm

Cut a hole (actually two) in the tops of these wall mount Ikea cabs and ran all the wiring through.
I'd had the Technics wired directly to a run of the mill black box Yamaha receiver's phono, but it sounded really tinny and harsh, even using the "direct sound" circuitry bypass on the Yamaha.
Patched in my Lounge Audio phono pre, and yeah, sounds great now.

These JBL 4408 2-way's were my first studio monitors from around 1990. Were in storage the whole time I was in Japan. Titanium tweeters! Just dial back the top end dial to true zero and they sound sweet as pie. Replaced the disintegrated foam rings around the bass drivers and they are sounding awesome. And they fit perfectly in those Ikea cab spaces.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:38 am

how many records do you have shed? seems like your house is full of LP's everywhere!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:51 am

discogs collection total.JPG
discogs collection total.JPG (35.75 KiB) Viewed 11672 times

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 am

wow that's a lot. i have a modest collection of 379 records (i have more cassettes, have 415 of those). i can't imagine what your collection worth estimates on Discogs are :shock: side note, what a wonderful database discogs is, i just love that place. wonderful archive, way to find new music/artists/musicians, and even buy stuff.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:37 am

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 am
i have a modest collection of 379 records (i have more cassettes, have 415 of those).
I'm quite sure it is some of the most bad-ass funkafied funky funk frequencies ever to be funked up and found affixed to a format, frankly.

markjazzbassist wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:58 am
i can't imagine what your collection worth estimates on Discogs are :shock: side note, what a wonderful database discogs is, i just love that place. wonderful archive, way to find new music/artists/musicians, and even buy stuff.

Discogs collection value range 1 21 2021.JPG
Discogs collection value range 1 21 2021.JPG (34.76 KiB) Viewed 11668 times

Yeah, Discogs was a game changer for sure.
Those values...I don' t know. Surely no one is going to pay that top dollar figure for these. I certainly didn't. Maybe if you sold each one individually online you could get in the mid range of those kind of numbers?
My daughter, if she doesn't keep them, will probably just sell them in bulk.

I think a record collector would come out to my place, thumb through them all, stroke his beard
a minute, and say

"Well.. I'll give you $2,500 for the lot, how's that?"

"But I pai.."

"FIne, $2,600."

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:25 am

i would show her discogs, if i sold my collection i'd sell all the high dollar ones separately to get max profit, and then the 'regular' stuff i'd just sell as a collection. but you're right, you're not gonna get that much for it. still a fun little stat to look at.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:21 am

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:45 pm

nice g&l

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:38 pm

used, hanging in a shop. I took it down and started messing around with it and ..such a solid machine. I had to walk out with it.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:36 pm

So I’m home Friday night, good day at work, the camaraderie has been in full effect during this pandoramic slow motion drama time, and I’m listening to lots of Joe Rogan and Lex Fridman podcasts with brilliant minds on the commute and spontaneouslly started doing a new routine of nightly off the cuff jams on phone vid to send to a couple muzo friends as a regular exchange to encourage each other and my mind starts drifting after an awesome meal and good wine and some wife fun while the kid is at work and now

I’m in the front room daydreaming (nightdreaming?) about space and time and how if we were us 1000, 2000 years from now (yes we'll get there dammit he says forcefully) and had long ago melded with our ai futures and conquered mortality and how there’d be no reason to wish to die as you’d be in a joyous mindset by design, our cerebral cortex "supercomputer" no longer a slave to our monkey mind, so we'd be free to spend eternity exploring the universe(s?) or living in virtual worlds of our own making, pondering deep questions because you'd get off on it as a reward and it would be shared with all of us by some neural link. Would we have a back up of ourselves in reserve were we to encounter any mishap, or would we be one big shared ever growing experiencial mind by then?

For us, the living, now, it’s brief and that is always hanging over our heads in the background, but doing things that are immersive is the best type of denial. Throwing yourself wholly into whatever passion you have often enough to satisfy. Making music takes you there like nothing else I know of.
Edit: and listening to music, and having an awesome dinner with friends, and visiting mom, and..

Last edited by shedshrine on Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:19 am

Hey guys. Does anyone know anything about Sescom? Specifically an old phono pre called the PO-11? It is a set of phono pres with a (shared) power supply. Sescom is still a company, but I can't find anything on this old tech on their website. It seems they were made for broadcast and other dual TT applications. Just wondering if the specs are any better than my current BBE preamp for home use. Cool thing about them is they have both mono and stereo outs, so I could use one to properly sum mono for older records or maybe even 78s if I want to go crazy...

Anyway, if anyone knows anything else, please post.

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "