vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 01, 2013 6:45 pm

Love the T-Rex and the Zombies!!

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 06, 2013 11:42 am

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Hey shred,

* Is that comic auto-biographical?

* I like looking at the technical data on the older vinyl releases, too. It makes me feel like I could somehow reproduce the results, if only I had the plutonium...

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon May 06, 2013 1:13 pm

Not autobiographical per se, in fact the opposite as I'm much more about jazz, funk, prog, "lounge", classic rock and however you want to categorize stereolab and early Metallica than punk or hardcore.
And I'm older than the cartoon's protagonist, this is my second go round with vinyl. what I share is the interest in why people collect vinyl and that strip caught my eye.

I am at just over a thousand and am ready to cull quite a bit and refine future aquisitions. The duplicates that occur when you buy the same album because you find one in better shape,
and the "check it out for a buck" ones that didn't pan out need to go. I really am not into the "vinyl takes over the house" idea.

btw cartoonist R. Crumb (mentioned in the strip) is a fascinating character, if you ever get a chance to see the documentary about him by David Lynch.

Crumb also happens to be a huge '78 blues collector. Here's his take on collecting.

"Vinyl junkies are special. They hunt down Brazilian pressings of favorite artists, know the difference between vinyl and styrene, and call a 3,000-LP collection "modest." Milano's interviews aim to nail down what vinyl addiction means. Thurston Moore thrives on the renegade, archival nature of collecting. As a teenager, Peter Buck hitchhiked 15 miles to get an LP the night of its release. R. Crumb speaks fondly of rare, flexible 78s. Most of Milano's subjects believe the thrill is in the chase: seeking personal Holy Grails is often more rewarding than playing them, and comfort is knowing a certain record is finally in one's collection. The book works best when Milano lets his subjects do the obsessing, and if what being a collector means remains as elusive as Their Satanic Majesties Request with the original 3-D cover, at least we learn that, as former Cramps drummer Miriam Linna says, "You play someone a great record and they don't react to it, you know it's time to get them out of your house." Carlos Orellana

On Record Collecting

"The music obsessive?s version of a midlife crisis is when all those potential pleasures stacked on the shelves stop representing delight and start to feel like harbringers of death. Which is a cruel irony, because the standard psychoanalytic interpretation of obsessive collecting is that it is a way of warding off death, or at least a displacement of abstract, inconsolable anxieties, often rooted in childhood feelings of helplessness. Having all this stuff, the unconscious logic goes, protects you against loss. But eventually having all this stuff keeps on reminding you of the inevitability of loss."
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon May 06, 2013 5:40 pm

Yeah, I'm hip to R. Crumb (I, too, am probably older than you think), and I remember Harvey Pekar from his days as a guest on the old (old) Letterman show.

I have a CD collection of 78's (78's on CD, that is) that R. Crumb did some of the "notes" for-- a bunch of strips on collecting, similar in tone to what you posted above (but characteristically self-referential).

He's a funny (and sometimes inscrutably weird) dude.

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed May 08, 2013 1:21 pm

In search of Voodoo Funk

Guy travels all over Africa in search of vinly. Site has lots of mp3s and pics.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu May 09, 2013 7:00 am

That's cool, shred. That was a great story. The piles of records in the warehouse-- amazingly exciting and very sad at the same time!

I just made a trip to Ghana a few months back; the _one_ thing I wanted to do but didn't get to do was some crate digging. Next time for sure. Also, I saw some newstands that looked like they had a lot of cool comics (indigenous stuff and Asian/European, not Marvel or DC). Hopefully I can check those out next time too...

I did get to go up in the mountains and buy a couple of hand-made drums, and jammed with some guys for a little bit too. I also heard (and recorded) some cool music.

The bit about the kidnappings and all of that, that was a little scary, but that's Nigeria. That wouldn't happen in Ghana-- it's a very stable country. They do have some pretty tough neighborhoods in Accra, no question, but for some reason, violence doesn't seem to boil over much. Also, they take a very pragmatic approach; everyone that I met (from every strata and area) was very polite and gracious, but most of the houses seem to have some level of security, and security seems to be a profitable business there. The house we stayed at in the city had walls all around the compound, bars on the windows (of course, everything is made from rebar anyway), and the walls on the outside also had barbed-wire or razor shanks sticking up. Plus, there was an overnight guard assigned to the place. It seems like the extra security, along with the polite atmosphere act as a deterrent to nasty negative behavior.

GJ

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Thu May 09, 2013 9:18 am

shedshrine wrote:In search of Voodoo Funk

Guy travels all over Africa in search of vinly. Site has lots of mp3s and pics.
I have to thank you, from the depths of my soul, for this amazing world that you just shared with all of us. Holy. fucking. shit.

That is all.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu May 09, 2013 9:55 am

Wow! Glad it spoke to you Jeff. And Greg, Wow, great that you?ve done that traveling.
Here's a great interview with Frank Gossner (Voodoo Funk) on the Dust and Grooves site.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu May 09, 2013 2:06 pm

Last edited by shedshrine on Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat May 11, 2013 8:47 am

We're all so modern and enlightened.

So modern and enlightened, in fact, that we're automatically and dogmatically intolerant of anything that anyone has to say that doesn't agree with whatever we think they should be saying at any given time... Oh, waitaminute; is that enlightenment or uninformed prejudice? I forget...

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:13 pm

$650, 000 turntable, made in Germany. WIth lasers and hd video confirmation (?!)
Dereneville VPM 2010-1.jpg
Dereneville VPM 2010-1.jpg (67.93 KiB) Viewed 2149 times
Last edited by shedshrine on Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:36 pm

Ya need that. No, ya do, ya nnNEEeeed that!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Osumosan
takin' a dinner break

Post by Osumosan » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:19 am

Red lasers? That can't have very good resolution.