vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 am

i didn't buy the vinyl version (nothing in my house to playback on) but I can imagine it probably sounds sweet. so somebody buy it and report back, ok? :biggergrin: it is my favorite album right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G38353 ... OP&index=1
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm

Wishing the best to everyone out there. Take care .
Haven't grabbed much vinyl lately. Had been enjoying some Anthony Braxton which introduced me to the name Woody Shaw as they had a collaborative album with The iron Men. Which led to seeking out Shaw's highly regarded Rosewood. Also snagged Living Colour's third album Stain. (on transparent green vinyl as it turned out)

and just for Mark:

The bass players are as follows:
Rosewood: Clint Houston
The Iron Men: Cecil McBee (double bass)
Living Colour Stain: Doug Wimbish

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Mar 30, 2020 4:58 am

nice! cecil mcbee is a legend in the free jazz/avant jazz world, he was the go to bassist for that type of music.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:41 am

fyi : Vimeo has got free viewing of new Charlie Haden documentary until April 5th. https://vimeo.com/399832399

jimjazzdad
takin' a dinner break

Post by jimjazzdad » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:43 am

Thanks for the tip, Shed! Really enjoyed the Charlie Hayden doc.
Jim Legere
Halifax, NS
Canada

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:52 pm

Yeah, Such a low-key, unassuming badass

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:27 pm

techmoan's youtube episode How a forgotten 1949 Format War shaped the future of records
40 minutes long, quite comprehensive with a lot of info flying by, but if you happen to be spending a lot of time at home...

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:01 pm

Hey All,

My latest “Quarantine Music Video” features a look at (most of) my record collection:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca7eS5k6Wr0

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Jun 07, 2020 1:09 pm

late eighties guitar player magazine "sound pages".

Here's a 55 lb Audio Technica four-track cassette recorder deck ad amongst those pages..

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:38 pm

Blade Runner 2 record set. On chrome vinyl. Freaking smooth as glass chrome vinyl. Have to use a 45 adaptor. Look like gigantic triple-thick double-sided cd's. A half pound in weight apiece.
They sound like crap, or slippery crap rather. Actually there is no real sound, just a low level whooshing as the needle just slides around aimlessly. What a rip off. Looks cool though. Dollar bin..

I'll have you good people know I have given back over 200 lps to our local record store. I mean I got store credit and all, but I am downsizing. Getting it down to just the "really enjoy having". I mean I really enjoy having the vinyl, but there's such a thing as too much of a good thing. At least I think so. Now. :)
Last edited by shedshrine on Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KillerGuitarRigs
audio school

Post by KillerGuitarRigs » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:50 am

I'm somehow on my fourth record collection.

Collection 1: Highschool - I used to go buy two records a week with the money my dad gave me for milking cows. Honestly I stored the records so badly, never cleaned them, and played so many of them to death that I basically killed the whole collection. When I went to college and my folks stacked the whole thing (couple hundred records) in a corner where they sat for a few years, that was the nail. Any records I opened were ruined.

Collection 2: First job out of college. First time having money, spent a ton of money on seven inches that honestly I was only kinda interested in. So dumb. When I left Ireland I sold the whole thing.

Collection 3: When I moved to the UK a few years later, I bought records here and there when I went to see bands. I kept almost none of them when I....

Collection 4: Moved to the US. This collection has been the smallest and slowest. Nowadays I don't have time or space to actually listen to the records. I like them as a collectible piece, and I like the big covers, inlays, gatefold etc. But I can;t tell you when I last actually busted one out. But I still buy them, just did a preorder a few days ago for the new Skeletal Remains record.

So yeah. Thar she blows.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:58 am

Quite a history.

What all is included with those gigantic Metallica box sets?

I see that is post number 1. Welcome to Tape Op. Look forward to hearing about your killer guitar rigs. :)

KillerGuitarRigs
audio school

Post by KillerGuitarRigs » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Haha thanks!

The box sets have a ton of stuff. Typically remastered record on viny, 1-3 concerts on vinyl, some EPs, then a couple of CDs of demos, outtakes, rough mixes etc, some interviews, usually a DVD or two of interviews, live sets etc, and then a big book with a ton of photos from around then plus like a bunch of contemporary articles about the band from the start of writing the record to the end of touring the record. Then usually some smaller stuff like patches, stickers, posters, pins etc.

It's a lot of stuff for like $120ish. I like 'em, but honestly I bought them, spent a day or two pouring over them, and now they sit on a shelf. I got too many kids to sit and go back through 'em.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:54 pm

https://www.sacredbonesrecords.com/coll ... ort-garson

Any Mort Garson/moog fans will be glad to know they found the original master tapes for Plantasia, long thought to be lost or destroyed, amongst his boxes of tapes. They are going to re-issue a remastered 45 rpm double lp with them.

Sacred Bones is also remastering/ re-issuing his Atoraxia:The Unexplained, and Black Mass (which he recorded under the moniker Lucifer). And two more unreleased albums. All on Black vinyl, colored vinyl, splatter vinyl..geez.
artists-mortgarson_large[1].jpg
artists-mortgarson_large[1].jpg (30.61 KiB) Viewed 6898 times

Gregg, when's your cassette archive vault extravaganza documentary to drop? Hopefully with lots of Ken Burns pano shots. :)

Saw your vid on Annie Ross. I've got a few Lambert, Hendricks & Ross albums. Great stuff! I had a copy of Flying High where she had signed the back along with a brief message to a friend. I mistakenly took it to a store for trade in as I had two copies.

Random photo:
tumblr_odvtj57Zrp1v2nm11o1_500.jpg
tumblr_odvtj57Zrp1v2nm11o1_500.jpg (48.33 KiB) Viewed 6865 times
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 5 times in total.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:53 pm

Opens discog's private message:

Hello shiidshrene,

I have a Freetwood Marc album you may be interested in. Indeed, It’s one of his best and possesses scratcheses incurred by repeated plays by the members of the band themselves, and possesses a cover stained by their individual coffee cups over time. As a bonus, the inner sleeve is missing, and was lost by Stefhie Knicks herself!
I'm thinking this personalized al bums worth to be in the low hundrids, but for you, surely a hardcore fhan of the Freet Wood, I could let it sale for as little as $65.
Let me know, for I'm sure it gone be will quicky.

All the behest,
vinylpooh
Last edited by shedshrine on Tue Feb 15, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.