vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:53 am

Here they are by the way:

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:20 am

i've owned a decent amount of sescom gear. it's alright, i mean it's durable and works great and that is the focus of their gear. middle of the road sound/tone but durable and built for high traffic environments like touring or living in a venue.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am

Yeah, mostly broadcast remote, yes?

These were pulled out of a low-power HS radio station (I got the transmitter too!). If you had to guess on specs/SQ, would you think better, worse, or about the same as my little BBE pre?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:34 am

i don't have any idea, why don't you A/B them? broadcast they are still big in. they are like the Made in USA bargain brand if i could put it nicely. their transformers i've used in direct boxes and mixers before, they aren't jensen, they aren't even as good as the chinese jensens (their ProDI line) sonically. but they are half the price or cheaper.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu May 06, 2021 9:01 pm

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Fri May 07, 2021 6:52 am

that badbadnotgood III record is off the f'ing chain. great record and band. IV is excellent as well, you should purchase that if you don't already have it. those canadian kids are the future of jazz/hip-hop instrumental music.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 07, 2021 8:40 am

Oh man, they were great. We saw them at a little open air show one night (Lagunitas in Petaluma) and they had the crowd . Monolithic groove journeys. "Okay, lets' all sway like we are drops of water in the same ocean" . And we did!

The bass player was fun to watch as anytime he had a repeating figure he'd be moving it all over the neck and nailing cool accents. And yes I have IV as well. Awesome band.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm

Some recent store finds:

Pink Floyd - Meddle.
Mountain - Climbing! and Nantucket Sleighride.
Return To Forever - Light As A Feather and No Mystery.
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - Closer To It!
David Lindley and El Rayo X - Win This Record!
Allan Holsdworth - i.o.u.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Sat May 15, 2021 7:39 pm

Nick Sevilla wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:18 pm
Some recent store finds:

Pink Floyd - Meddle.
Mountain - Climbing! and Nantucket Sleighride.
Return To Forever - Light As A Feather and No Mystery.
Brian Auger's Oblivion Express - Closer To It!
David Lindley and El Rayo X - Win This Record!
Allan Holsdworth - i.o.u.
wow some really nice ones. return to forever - light as a feather is an all time favorite, beautiful latin rhythms and improvised jazz vocals, just lovely. i'm a massive brian auger fan, seen him live 4-5 times, that is his most well known record with "happiness is just around the bend" being what i'd consider his largest "hit". pink floyd meddle worth it for Echoes alone. great pickups.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:06 pm

Nice 1974 promo copy of Phaedra that apparently used to belong to a Tobey Ringuette. (Thanks Tobey)

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:10 pm

Cornbread is a great record. That & Search For The New Land are my 2 favorite Lee Morgans(nothing wrong with The Sidewinder either). & I highly recommend the documentary I Called Him Morgan if you haven't seen it yet.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:32 pm

Will do. I watched the trailer for it last night and a few scenes that were on youtube.. Damn, shot by his own wife at 33.

This album was played into the ground on radio back in the day. No song, no matter how good is meant to be heard 47 times a day. But the story behind the album's coming to be is interesting and enough time has passed and in 2021 I saw a used copy after watching the vid with this guy (the 'in' groove) who listens to fifty different versions of a given album and painstakingly tells you which ones sound best. :)
He's done this for albums like Dark Side of the Moon, Breakfast in America and the like. For Aja he admonished "don't get the US AA, get the AB!" So i checked my lackluster sounding AA copy and traded it in for credit. Months later I found a copy in the new arrivals bin, checked the dead wax and lo and behold it was a golden AB gatefold pressing. Oh joy!

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:33 pm

Should have known better. "Used, like new"...and it was sealed...

Frank finally put Bluefinger out on vinyl.
Between that and a few of his reissues Demon Records has been real busy this year. Here's their Frank catalog link (scroll down): https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/catal ... lit-vinyl/

Hoping Dog in the Sand, Black Letter Days and Devil's Workshop get their vinyl debut soon as well.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:36 pm

When it comes to vinyl, those albums you really would like to have, I never thought I’d ever possess an original press of Joy Divisions' Unknown Pleasures. Yeah, that Ian Curtis' story is compelling, and the Hannett veritable walk-in fridge production is a great story. I've dug the division of joy a long time. I just wasn’t going to shell out that much. Plus I already had a 2007 remastered copy by this point that sounded great.

This weekend hitting the shop, as I came in to the store I looked up at the “obscure, rare, collectible" stuff they keep high up on the wall in a dedicated display. Dead center in the top row was a minty copy of Pleasures.

“Is that the textured UK first pressing?"
Ethan hadn’t put it up there so he took it down and we checked it out online. Turned out to be a 1980 first US press, smooth cover, not textured, but minty. Had the “I’ve been looking for a guide” dead-wax scrawl.
I had brought in a stack of vinyl for store credit and we worked a deal. That stuff ended up paying for half.

Below, Pleasures of the Unknown:
2007 remastered, textured black cover re-issue, 2019 white textured cover/ruby transparent vinyl (used 2007 remaster)

Back in the day listening as a kid on my less than stellar system I often felt records didn’t have enough bass, and it could be hard to make out the high end as well…But fortunately that was what the loudness button/switch was for. That and tweaking those bass and treble controls on the stereo could usually get you what you wanted. That’s already there with these "Unknown" remasters, that engulfing vibe you crave.

Listening to the 1980 first press compared to the 2007 remaster: No question, the remaster sounds fuller, richer, the instruments have heft and place. More kick drum for sure, more bass presence. Having experienced that then immediately putting on the o.g., well the original sounded kinda thin by direct comparison, how could it not. Definitely not bad, sounds great, just not as immediately powerful in that context. It's a different mix. Want to match 'em? Wait, let me just crank that bass and treble..almost there. (Presses "loudness".)
Yep, that's it!

"I've been looking for a guide.."
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Sun Aug 15, 2021 5:22 pm

I bought the Love Will Tear Us Apart 7" back in the summer of '81 (I was young then, but that still makes me old.) I was never struck by the thinness of the sound then, but upon revisiting the LPs recently....well, they sound less stellar than my memory of them. But I suspect that thinness was a choice Hannett made, in sculpting something that stood apart, as well as building a sound that really complemented Curtis's lyrics.

Or maybe not.