vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:51 am

surrounding atmosphere of vinyl entry. Well researched, well written new book out on guitars, amplifiers, inventors, musicians and history.

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:32 pm

Not everyday listening, but I liked his tape/electronics based Legende de Eere and Electro-Acoustic Music albums so i took a chance on this 1969 avante-classical pressing I just found in the "new arrivals" bins today.
Stuff I've gleaned reading about it thus far: Avante Garde that bypassed the twelve tone approach of its time in favor of Xenakis' "mathematical application of suspense and release"
"three-part, microtonal melodic texture" "88 piece orchestra interspersed amongst the audience" etc.. Sounds kind of like an instrumental rendition/approach to his layered noise found sound experimental stuff, and maybe where THX got the idea for that big swooping sound it uses to introduce itself in theatres.