vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
carpal tunnel

Re: vinyl collecting ( and surrounding planetary atmosphere )

Post by shedshrine » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:25 pm

Happy New Year. I’m sure there are some silver linings in all of this.

time for a ramble.

Thanks jimjazzdad. Lucky for you I couldn't trim down the polka soundbites to under 10 seconds. They were just too good. :)

I deleted the Holdworth review I just posted that was right here for a bit because it was crap. I’ll try again at some point. I love the guy. Followed his bliss, damn the torpedos.

Ugh. I have a hard time with reviews, writing them I mean. I appreciate good ones, but at a certain level, i either like something or I don’t. It's really a personal thing. And of course that really has absolutely no bearing on whether you should like it. I don’t want anything to do with anything that smacks of the responsibility of portending to be a taste maker, or the judge of someone’s art (or artistic commmerce ha!) beyond my own discernment.

Clapton wanted to call one of his albums "the greatest guitar player in the world..there's one in every crowd". You get to a certain level, and it's just a matter of taste, of style. Some styles are popular, some connect with you, some not so much. Who am I to judge their talent, their intent.
"I can't wait for my album to drop so I can find out what I wrote" said Dylan, or something like that.

Some reviewers are amazing. They can bring in Greek deity references and visceral analogies galore and you actually get ‘a’ image of the aural experience you may find.
And VVV does great succint one or two liner reviews that cut to the chase.

In my estimation, to write a good one, where you can be as empirically objective as much as is humanly possible, where the truth you are expressing is so self evident, you really can't hurt the artist's feelings because it's such an honest critique that you are arguably helping them see what needs to be seen, and at the same time you are truly helping your brothers and sisters find more good music from the source, the muse, the connection that we all seek. I guess the trick is to review awesome albums, ha!

_______

I’m sitting here listening to Chet Baker. My 17 year old daughter, who is a big K-Pop fan, also happens to be currently digging Billie “Lady Day” Holiday, and more recently Chet Baker.
Damn!

The Chetness I’m listiening to is from a Spotify playlist. I’m sure many of you have gotten to this place long ago, but I am listening more and more to this format, and while I know that it isn’t exactly the way to artistic reimbursement nirvana, it has proven such a beautiful way to get new music into my ears. And sure, stuff I find that I love I’ll seek out on vinyl, but for just general listening there’s no turning back.

The audio connoisseur in me thought it lame that Spotify calls their best sound quality “extreme fidelity’ yet it wasn’t even lossless, but rather streamed at 320kbps. Regardless, it sounds pretty darn good.

The playlist function..albums are awesome, but sometimes an artist just works better for me when I get to what for me is the wheat of the matter, And I just don’t have the time to listen through 10 million artists catalogs to savor and mull over to choose which songs I dig the most and would want to compile for repeated enjoyment.

_______

Vinyl is awesome, and when I started collecting in earnest in 2012 I was seriously thinking I would get every song that I’ve ever liked on vinyl, one hit wonders, classic rock icons, jazz greats, avante garde gems, every funky record known to man…

When I got up past the 2500 lp mark, I re-assessed my initial intent. Y’know, maybe I really don’t need to have every song I’ve ever taken a shine to on vinyl.

I was in the Last Record Store in Santa Rosa last weekend talking with Hoyt,
I told him jokingly that I was glad when I came in and didn’t find anything. and also noticing that wow, there are a hell of a lot more people into vinyl now.
He said you must be glad you got all the records you wanted before vinyl got more popular.

I have sold back a bunch to them for store credit, and just chip away at that reserve when I find something “special”.