Some Tascam 388 recordings

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

steviejingles
studio intern

Some Tascam 388 recordings

Post by steviejingles » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:48 pm

My band just recorded a new EP on the 388:
http://sonnytripp.bandcamp.com
We record live off the floor, re-record a guitar track here or there, then dump everything to the computer to add vocals. The other EPs were done on a Fostex Model 80

I also did a cover of Weezer's Green Album for fun a while back. Everything was done completely on the 388
http://ryantaylormusic.bandcamp.com/alb ... reen-album

Enjoy!
Last edited by steviejingles on Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:40 pm

This is really, really solid stuff. If our local indie station started playing this stuff, I'd be stoked every time I heard it come on. Nicely done.

I find the vocals reminiscent of some of my very favorite indie acts of days past, and I love the fuzzy bits.

Do you guys tour? Please let me know if you make it to central Ohio. I'd love to come out and see you.
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

j.harv
gettin' sounds

Post by j.harv » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:04 pm

Shit!!!! This is killer!
Great sound and vibe.
Well done

kinetic
audio school

Post by kinetic » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:42 am

Downloading the Green album and purchased your EP.

The bass on the Green Album cover looks exactly like my '72. :)

steviejingles
studio intern

Post by steviejingles » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks a lot!!

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:54 pm

One question; did you record on the 388 with the DBX on or off?

steviejingles
studio intern

Post by steviejingles » Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:44 am

The DBX was off. I don't like how it sounds, and since we were recording loud instruments, hiss wasn't a problem at all.

eh91311
buyin' a studio

Post by eh91311 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 2:57 pm

steviejingles wrote:The DBX was off. I don't like how it sounds, and since we were recording loud instruments, hiss wasn't a problem at all.
I'm going to have to rethink my using the 388 with the DBX on. The DBX just takes the life out of the sound on the 388. Your EP sounds great, there's hiss but way more analog coolness, especially the drum & cymbal sounds. The guitars are thick and present, the bass sounds like a Fender should. Terrific sonically. Songs are good too.

You should share some details of your recording techniques & gear that you used.

steviejingles
studio intern

Post by steviejingles » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:54 am

For the Sonny Tripp recordings:
We recorded all the music live off the floor, in my tiny house. It was really loud, but by facing all of the amps away from the drums, mic bleed wasn't a problem whatsoever. Afterwards, we redid a few guitar tracks, but I think the sound stayed pretty consistent. The setup looked something like this:
1 - OH - I think it was a Rode mic
2 - Kick - Shure Beta 52
3 - Snare - Shure 57
4 - Rack Tom - Sennheiser 421
5 - Floor Tom - Sennheiser 421
6 - Guitar - Fender Jaguar or Hagstrom Viking -> Fender Twin Reverb -> Shure 57
7 - Guitar - Fender Telecaster -> Fender Blues Jr -> Shure 57
8 - Bass - Fender Precision -> Ampeg SVT -> Shure 57

We then dumped everything into Cubase as separate tracks, and added the vocals digitally, using a really cheap Behringer condenser mic.

The setup was mostly the same on the Weezer tracks I posted, except everything was recorded one instrument at a time, and the drums were done to two tracks to make room for the vocals, which I recorded very hot onto the 388.

1grex
pluggin' in mics

Post by 1grex » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:38 pm

GREAT job y'all

timh
takin' a dinner break

Post by timh » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:06 am

I love this shit! I've been listening to it while hanging in my room on the weekends. If you make another record be sure to post it! I'd love to hear more.
scantysound.bandcamp.com

Goodnight60
audio school

Post by Goodnight60 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:51 am

steviejingles wrote:For the Sonny Tripp recordings:
We recorded all the music live off the floor, in my tiny house. It was really loud, but by facing all of the amps away from the drums, mic bleed wasn't a problem whatsoever. Afterwards, we redid a few guitar tracks, but I think the sound stayed pretty consistent. The setup looked something like this:
2 - Kick - Shure Beta 52
3 - Snare - Shure 57

We then dumped everything into Cubase as separate tracks, and added the vocals digitally, using a really cheap Behringer condenser mic.

The setup was mostly the same on the Weezer tracks I posted, except everything was recorded one instrument at a time, and the drums were done to two tracks to make room for the vocals, which I recorded very hot onto the 388.
Woah, these recordings sound really great! I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did you use any external pres or compressors before going into the 388, or does it sound good going direct in? Also, when you say you dumped the tracks individually in Cubase, how did you hook that up? Were there any synching issues?

Thanks for sharing man!

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:31 pm

Nicely done!
Catchy material,well executed!
Love the fuzzy lo end on gtrz!
Should never sold mine.
E.
I am the Walnut

steviejingles
studio intern

Post by steviejingles » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:38 pm

Goodnight60 wrote:
steviejingles wrote:For the Sonny Tripp recordings:
2 - Kick - Shure Beta 52
3 - Snare - Shure 57

Woah, these recordings sound really great! I have a few questions if you don't mind. Did you use any external pres or compressors before going into the 388, or does it sound good going direct in? Also, when you say you dumped the tracks individually in Cubase, how did you hook that up? Were there any synching issues?

Thanks for sharing man!
Thanks! We didn't use any external pres or compressors, though I did add some compression while mixing on the drums and bass. The guitars are pretty much exactly as they were recorded going direct to the 388, so that should give a pretty good idea of its natural sound.

I have a Presonus Firepod that I use for recording on my mac. The 8 outputs on the 388 line up perfectly with the 8 inputs on the firepod, so it makes dumping to Cubase a breeze.

Rikharthu
audio school

Post by Rikharthu » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Your stuff sounds RAD. Double tracked vocals in parts, right? Any other effects on the vox? Which behringer, by the way? Haha, I love it. Buying it when I get monies..