Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:17 am

ott0bot wrote:another question mikey...
how much did the vinyl pressing cost?

I'm considering putting out an EP on vinyl and I know I won't be selling a lot, mostly digital downloads. just trying to spec out a few things and have got a several varied answers.
yeah, check out Cleveland's gottagrooverecords.com, they are easy to work with. you can get 100 12" records + jackets for about $1415. if it's an EP you could do a 12" 45rpm!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:05 pm

Gregg Juke wrote: Gives me hope for the future of music, no lie.
This gives me hope for the past of music.

....kidding, kidding.

Seriously though: Well-performed and well-recorded, ain't no denying that -- Keep on doing what you do!

Kudos on a job well done. It just goes to show: Quality of gear doesn't hurt, but it comes in about 10th place -- well after all the things that really matter and are worth paying for.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:30 pm

mikey_grapes wrote:
ott0bot wrote:another question mikey...
how much did the vinyl pressing cost?

I'm considering putting out an EP on vinyl and I know I won't be selling a lot, mostly digital downloads. just trying to spec out a few things and have got a several varied answers.
yeah, check out Cleveland's gottagrooverecords.com, they are easy to work with. you can get 100 12" records + jackets for about $1415. if it's an EP you could do a 12" 45rpm!
cool! 45 rpm was hat I was thinking. Pricewise that is in the ballpark, just worried shipping to Arizona would be brutal.

thanks!

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:48 pm

>>>>This give me hope for the past of music.

....kidding, kidding.<<<<

Choose your response from the list below:

* This (see above) "give" me hope for proper tense agreement in English sentence construction

* "This give me hope" for the future of animal husbandry (specifically goat herding....kidding, kidding).

* "This give me hope" for the future of traditional high-seas piracy/privateering (Kidd-ing, Kidd-ing).

* Why You, You, ......

GJ

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:51 pm

mikey,

you just mic'd the drum kit with one mic--sm81?

what did you use the sm58 on?

I'm listening to the album right now. Love it!

banana brains
gettin' sounds

Post by banana brains » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:52 pm

one more question:

the aphex 107 only has two pres, right?

when you were recording the group, were you also using the pres on the tascam?

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:21 am

soupdejour wrote:mikey,

you just mic'd the drum kit with one mic--sm81?

what did you use the sm58 on?

I'm listening to the album right now. Love it!
Yeah, generally just the one mic (sm81) for the kit, placed a few feet out, sorta low (snare / kick), since the other mics in the room were picking up enough of the cymbals. I can only record 4 tracks at once on this unit so I did vox - gtr - upright bass - drums. on at least one occasion i used a small mixer with two mics on the drums, and fiddled with them so i could record those two mics to one track. but that was early on in the record and i can't tell you on exactly which songs.

On a few, like "work blues" and "things i'll never use", i recorded guitar and vocals first, then had the guys overdub drums and bass (together), and in those cases i used the 81 and the 4033 (to pick up some cymbals, i thought i'd blend it in if needed but i ended up needing that extra drum track for a guitar overdub).

i used the 58 for vocal overdubs on a few songs because i wasn't getting the vocals to sit well with the 4033 or re-20. i think "boat behind the trees" was one, maybe "work blues" for a doubled vocal.

thanks for listening!

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:31 am

soupdejour wrote:one more question:

the aphex 107 only has two pres, right?

when you were recording the group, were you also using the pres on the tascam?
yes, two. i had the re-20 (bass) and the sm81 (drums) going through it. i used the pres on the tascam for the other two tracks (gtr/vox and keys). holy cow wait, i forgot about the keys in the earlier post! nord electric piano recorded direct into tascam, with some room bleed from a small pignose-type amp.

basically, if all four of us were playing, it was one mic (or input) per person. if i recorded some stuff beforehand, then i'd have more flexibility for micing drum overdubs, it was not terribly consistent from song to song.

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:36 am

Great job Mike, super songs and loving the 'all in the room' vibe. Nice one.

cale w
gettin' sounds

Post by cale w » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:54 pm

Damn, that's a good album.

ricercar.record
gettin' sounds

Post by ricercar.record » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:53 pm

I was fiddling around with learning some of these songs on guitar and realized that Bank Job is detuned oddly. It's not a half step down from standard but somewhere in between. I was wondering if this is something you did purposefully to better suit your voice or was this just a result from tuning by ear or something?

Also .... I love when this happens (I remember a Radiohead song having a similar thing in it that I noticed and couldn't ignore ever since) .... at 1:15 in Bank Job there's a subtle noise in the mix that sounds like someones text message notification going off. Pretty sure it's just string noise from the acoustic but it fooled me the first couple times.

Obviously this album is still in heavy rotation on my daily listening :)

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:23 am

ricercar.record wrote:I was fiddling around with learning some of these songs on guitar and realized that Bank Job is detuned oddly. It's not a half step down from standard but somewhere in between. I was wondering if this is something you did purposefully to better suit your voice or was this just a result from tuning by ear or something?
That was a happy accident, I recorded basic tracks with the mkii's "pitch control" knob turned to 1 or 2 o'clock (speeded up). I discovered it later when I went to put down vocal & guitar overdubs, but I had gotten used to the sound and the tempo when the knob was set back to 12 o'clock and decided to keep it all a bit slower/de-tuned.

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:34 am

ricercar.record wrote: at 1:15 in Bank Job there's a subtle noise in the mix that sounds like someones text message notification going off. Pretty sure it's just string noise from the acoustic but it fooled me the first couple times.
i don't quite hear it . . . it's probably just guitar noise. I doubled the acoustic and probably didn't hit it exactly the same so there's the close-miced and room bleed doing slightly different strums.

thanks, i'm glad my fellow tape ops are digging the record!

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

CHIRP Radio Best of 2012

Post by mikey_grapes » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:12 am

http://v2.chirpradio.org/blog/chirp-rad ... n-campbell

Thanks to Shawn at the Chicago Independent Radio Project for her write-up!

benny_beechwood
audio school

Post by benny_beechwood » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Hey Guys, This is my first posting! I just registered this morning. I have so many questions. Thisi s the first link I've checked out and man it sounds great! I was hooked right out the gate. I like the warmth in your album. Thanks for sharing.

Benny