Made on a 488MKii and pressed to vinyl

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:19 am

thanks benny!

DaveZula
audio school graduate

Post by DaveZula » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:39 pm

This album sounds fantastic. What an inspiration for a fellow analog enthusiast. I am planning to do a funk record on a cassette 8 track pretty soon and I hope it sounds half as cool as this.

-Dave
twitter.com/DaveZula

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:01 am

DaveZula wrote:This album sounds fantastic. What an inspiration for a fellow analog enthusiast. I am planning to do a funk record on a cassette 8 track pretty soon and I hope it sounds half as cool as this.

-Dave
thanks! i look forward to hearing that record

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:06 pm

The record came in the mail today, it looks and sounds fantastic. Nice one, man.

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:59 am

HuskerDude wrote:The record came in the mail today, it looks and sounds fantastic. Nice one, man.
HuskerD, glad you dig it! Thanks for picking up a vinyl.

kung_fu_elvis
alignin' 24-trk

Post by kung_fu_elvis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:57 pm

Overall, the songs are great, and the arrangements are there for the song... Over half the battle was won right there.

You could have recorded this to carrier pigeon, and it still would have been fantastic... many kudos.
Mike

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:20 am

kung_fu_elvis wrote:Overall, the songs are great, and the arrangements are there for the song... Over half the battle was won right there.

You could have recorded this to carrier pigeon, and it still would have been fantastic... many kudos.
recording next one on voicemail. thanks elvis!

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:06 pm

Mike, I've never heard of you before but it took all of 20 seconds for me to decide to buy the vinyl. Really great work here. Sound, writing, performances, all fantastic and it hangs together so beautifully.

I rarely, RARELY buy records with so little knowledge or reference, but I could instantly feel that this one is gonna stick with me.

I'm also thinking about doing my own EP on vinyl with Gotta Groove. They seem like a really cool company; look forward to hearing how the pressing sounds(/feels/looks).

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:07 pm

I have to say...this is overwhelmingly the best response I've ever seen on a "Listen to My Stuff" thread. Usually it's crickets or one off handing remark. this should tell you that you've made something great. Nice.

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:11 am

Packy wrote:Mike, I've never heard of you before but it took all of 20 seconds for me to decide to buy the vinyl. Really great work here. Sound, writing, performances, all fantastic and it hangs together so beautifully.

I rarely, RARELY buy records with so little knowledge or reference, but I could instantly feel that this one is gonna stick with me.

I'm also thinking about doing my own EP on vinyl with Gotta Groove. They seem like a really cool company; look forward to hearing how the pressing sounds(/feels/looks).
Packy, you'll have your vinyl soon, thanks so much! Gotta Groove is a breeze to work with and I recommend them.

Packy
ass engineer

Post by Packy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 am

mikey_grapes wrote:
Packy, you'll have your vinyl soon, thanks so much! Gotta Groove is a breeze to work with and I recommend them.
Glad to hear it - I've been in touch with GGR over the last couple days and they've already been super responsive and cool. Plus, having their own crowdfunding platform and syncing it up to their fulfillment/distribution service is a brilliant idea that I plan to exploit to the fullest. Cheers!

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:21 pm

ott0bot wrote:I have to say...this is overwhelmingly the best response I've ever seen on a "Listen to My Stuff" thread. Usually it's crickets or one off handing remark. this should tell you that you've made something great. Nice.
Overall, the biggest response to the album has been on the TOMB. Much appreciated!

springreverb
alignin' 24-trk

Post by springreverb » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:09 am

very nice recording.. nice music too
cassettes can truly sound better than most people think
sounds way better than most music you hear on various message boards where everything sounds the same and is extremly .."fake" sounding with too much treble
it just feels good and musical

peace

mikey_grapes
ass engineer

Post by mikey_grapes » Fri May 03, 2013 5:48 am

springreverb wrote:very nice recording.. nice music too
cassettes can truly sound better than most people think
sounds way better than most music you hear on various message boards where everything sounds the same and is extremly .."fake" sounding with too much treble
it just feels good and musical

peace
thanks for listening, i'll always keep around a few 424s, etc., cassettes just work for me given my "studio" (basement) setup. cheers

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 03, 2013 6:49 am

Sounds great...not something I'd buy but the recordings are good. I just picked up a 688.. What cassettes are you using?